General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Alright... who wrecked their AE already?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2000, 08:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I went by Southpoint Nissan yesterday. I went into their service garage and there was a nice blue 2001 AE on the lift. It looked really nice from a distance but then I noticed the left front wheel was kind of dangling down from the car so I took a look at it. That whole section had been ripped apart. I was told that the guy lost control at 110 mph and slammed into a curb. The guy had it a week and it looked terrible, it seemed like it had really been abused. The whole frame was out of alignment, and there were body scratches everywhere. I almost cried. Shame on who wrecked it already!

On a side note, I picked up an AE shift **** from there, ran about $47 bucks... it's nice! I'll try and take some pics of the install this week.
Old 11-21-2000, 08:36 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Did this guy think that the AE maximas have DSC or something. I don't think even that will save you at 110. Poor car.
Old 11-21-2000, 10:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Seems to me that if you hit a curb at 110mph you will be pulp. Front wheel non-functional? No steering at 110 will ruin your whole day. If the car is still fixable, I'd guess that he was going closer to 50 or 60 mph. My wife was in a similar accident going about 50 when she was forced off the road, rear tire hit a curb and spun the car around after it snapped the wheel off the car.

People love to overstate speed because it sounds cool. It is part of the whole 'speed kills' fallacy.

Shame about the new AE though.

Jim
Old 11-21-2000, 11:29 AM

I Wonder

If I can Buy his BODY kit for my WHITE SE/AE ... hehe ... so I can interchange the BLUE kit on my WHITE car ... I've been thinking if that would look good!!!!

Originally posted by Ants97SE
I went by Southpoint Nissan yesterday. I went into their service garage and there was a nice blue 2001 AE on the lift. It looked really nice from a distance but then I noticed the left front wheel was kind of dangling down from the car so I took a look at it. That whole section had been ripped apart. I was told that the guy lost control at 110 mph and slammed into a curb. The guy had it a week and it looked terrible, it seemed like it had really been abused. The whole frame was out of alignment, and there were body scratches everywhere. I almost cried. Shame on who wrecked it already!

On a side note, I picked up an AE shift **** from there, ran about $47 bucks... it's nice! I'll try and take some pics of the install this week.
Old 11-21-2000, 01:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

From the looks of it, I don't think he hit it head on, more like scraped a curb at 110. One half of the rim is completely "melted" off on the outside of it and the strut was snapped. The axle was torn and twisted. I was told the guy who brought it in claimed he was traveling 110. I wouldn't doubt it from the way it was torn up. The front lip is completely scraped up on the bottom. DOH!
Old 11-21-2000, 10:27 PM

wasn't me!

why would anyone be driving a new car so fast anyway?

I am TRYING to take it easy until the first oil change.
Old 11-22-2000, 07:37 AM
Peter in Atlanta

That's not my mine.

My wife wrecked her's after 5 days. Head on, left turn accident. It looks like I'm going to inherit it when we get it back some time next week. She feels more comfortable in the Durango. OVER $10,000 in damage. Been in the shop for 4+ weeks. (I hate this rental Taurus) The big wait is for the "front spoiler".

Old 11-22-2000, 08:05 AM
OG :)

Originally posted by Ants97SE

damn i was going to drop by
maybe meet daveb and get the latest test-drive gift!
ahahaha