General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Decided on the Max, now should I wait to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 04:16 AM
RKS

Decided on the Max, now should I wait to buy?

My wife and I have decided to buy a 2K2 SE (6M loaded w/o Nav.)
Now should I wait until the 2K3 is announced and hope for a price cut for the 2K2?
Can anyone guess when the 2K3 will be unveiled and the 2K2 will be discounted or would it be wiser to just wait and see what the 2K3 offers above the 2K2?
Decisions
Old 03-19-2002, 04:28 AM

I would personally wait for the 2K3. Not sure on price though.

Yes if you wait the 2K2 will definetly cheaper as for how much we are not sure.

There are *rumors* that the 2K3 will be a RWD V8 but its just that rumors. I am pretty sure the 2K3 will be a new body as well?
Old 03-19-2002, 05:18 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Decided on the Max, now should I wait to buy?

I checked yesterday (March 18) and new orders are only for 2k3. You can get a 2k2 off the lot, but the salesperson told me they "closed" the orders for 2k2. 2k3 will be available in June-ish timeframe.

Or maybe he was lying, trying to get me to cancel my 2k2 order and get 2k3 for more money... who knows.

Originally posted by RKS
My wife and I have decided to buy a 2K2 SE (6M loaded w/o Nav.)
Now should I wait until the 2K3 is announced and hope for a price cut for the 2K2?
Can anyone guess when the 2K3 will be unveiled and the 2K2 will be discounted or would it be wiser to just wait and see what the 2K3 offers above the 2K2?
Decisions
Old 03-19-2002, 05:57 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

wait and see

id probably wait a while to see if they cut the prices right around summer time. then they should be bringing in the 2k3s.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

We've also decided to wait a couple of more months before buying our 2k2 GLE. I'm hoping for rebates similar to the $6k whoppers they had on '99s when the 2k was released.

Jim
Old 03-19-2002, 06:17 AM

Personally I would go get a G35. The car is just better, better suspension, more options, and RWD. I wish I would have held out another 4 months instead of jumping in the Max. I did good, but I could have done better. My 2 cents.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by dblrr900
Personally I would go get a G35. The car is just better, better suspension, more options, and RWD. I wish I would have held out another 4 months instead of jumping in the Max. I did good, but I could have done better. My 2 cents.

I would expect the G35 to be a better car considering it's price. I can get a loaded Maxima GLE (w/o Nav) for around $26k via www.carsdirect.com which also shows a stripped G35 going for around $30k. If you think it's worth the extra money that's fine but I'm more of a value shopper.

Jim
Old 03-19-2002, 06:57 AM

I second that, if you live someplace where a rear wheel drive doesnt have drawbacks, go for the G35. I saw this car at an auto show 2 weeks ago and it looks incredible, i thought it was the best looking most eye catching car for under 45 or 50 thousand.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:16 PM

The car is just better, better suspension, more options, and RWD. I wish I would have held out another 4 months instead of jumping in the Max. I did good, but I could have done better. My 2 cents.
But if you take the extra cash you payed for it and went aftermarket (except for RWD) you could beat just about everything else anyhow.

SuDZ
Old 03-19-2002, 02:01 PM
RKS

1st Dealer...

Went to the first dealer today to at least price out the Max. His 'invoice' was over $27K for a SE with everything but nav. including a $500 marketing fee. The $500 was not negotiable and the best the manager could do was $1000 off MSRP. I laughed with the salepeople for a few minutes and left.
I told him I was not going to pay for his commercials or newspaper ads.

Edit:

Just priced out the Max on carsdirect.com $27,900. Isn't that a little high? That is about $1000 over invoice, Maximas aren't THAT special.
I'll just have to enjoy my 95 SE until I can get out of school.
Old 03-19-2002, 02:31 PM

Get the 2002 and save money, since we already pretty much know that the 2003 is going to be the same with some added limited editions.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:29 PM

Re: 1st Dealer...

Originally posted by RKS
Went to the first dealer today to at least price out the Max. His 'invoice' was over $27K for a SE with everything but nav. including a $500 marketing fee. The $500 was not negotiable and the best the manager could do was $1000 off MSRP. I laughed with the salepeople for a few minutes and left.
I told him I was not going to pay for his commercials or newspaper ads.

Edit:

Just priced out the Max on carsdirect.com $27,900. Isn't that a little high? That is about $1000 over invoice, Maximas aren't THAT special.
I'll just have to enjoy my 95 SE until I can get out of school.
How'd you manage to get a price on carsdirect for over MSRP? What trim level and options did you choose? Every way I equip it, carsdirect come in way under msrp. Maybe the zip code you live it commands a premium?

Jim
Old 03-19-2002, 06:59 PM
RKS

Re: Re: 1st Dealer...

Originally posted by JJW95SC

How'd you manage to get a price on carsdirect for over MSRP? What trim level and options did you choose? Every way I equip it, carsdirect come in way under msrp. Maybe the zip code you live it commands a premium?

Jim
The MSRP on a 2K2 SE with everything but Nav. and HLSD is about $29K or thereabout.

Went to another dealer today and the lowest he would go was $27,135.00 which was his 'invoice' and when he included the $500 marketing fee. Can somebody verify that the marketing fee is not assessed on ALL Maximas.

BTW We are having trouble deciding between Sterling Mist/Gray Lustre/Majestic Blue. Which colors do you guys recommend... (My 95 SE is Spuper Chipped Black)
Old 03-19-2002, 07:22 PM
Very sound, Mike

Take note that it's the 2004 Maxima that's been rumored to be RWD and a V8.

From what some people have posted already, the 2003 will come out mid this year and will be considered a special "Titanium Edition" version of the current design.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: 1st Dealer...

Originally posted by RKS

The MSRP on a 2K2 SE with everything but Nav. and HLSD is about $29K or thereabout.

Nope. I do a 2002 Maxima SE 6spd with all options, Meridian, Leather, and everything but Nav & HLSD and I get $27,041. MSRP is $30,401, and invoice is $27,541. How could your price be $2k more? Do you have the $1k rebate checked? What zip code are you using?

Jim
Old 03-20-2002, 04:10 AM
RKS

Re: Re: Re: Re: 1st Dealer...

Nope. I do a 2002 Maxima SE 6spd with all options, Meridian, Leather, and everything but Nav & HLSD and I get $27,041. MSRP is $30,401, and invoice is $27,541. How could your price be $2k more? Do you have the $1k rebate checked? What zip code are you using?

Jim
Sorry, I didn't add the Meridian package either but my invoice comes out to $26,635 but all the dealers in this area (45040/45246)also charge a $500 marketing fee which they do not bargain on so their actual invoice comes to $27,135, which is the lowest I can get the car for.

I am not using the $1K rebate b/c I will be financing the car at either .9 or 3.9. Zip code is 45040 or 45246.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1st Dealer...

Originally posted by RKS

Sorry, I didn't add the Meridian package either but my invoice comes out to $26,635 but all the dealers in this area (45040/45246)also charge a $500 marketing fee which they do not bargain on so their actual invoice comes to $27,135, which is the lowest I can get the car for.

I am not using the $1K rebate b/c I will be financing the car at either .9 or 3.9. Zip code is 45040 or 45246.

Did you print out the Carsdirect quote and bring it with you to the dealer? When I showed the salesman this printout for our 2002 GLE, he brought back the invoice for a car he had on the lot and agreed to sell us the car at his invoice. There was no marketing fee mentioned. Keep in mind that you can actually buy a car through Carsdirect.com so you should use that as leverage when talking with a dealer.

The only reason we didn't buy was because they didn't have the color combo my wife wanted on the lot and wouldn't order one for us. After that we decided to wait for bigger rebates. BTW, you still get the rebate if you finance. I'd suggest you check out www.carbuyingtips.com before you lay down any coin.

Jim
Old 03-20-2002, 07:41 PM
RKS

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1st Dealer...

Did you print out the Carsdirect quote and bring it with you to the dealer? When I showed the salesman this printout for our 2002 GLE, he brought back the invoice for a car he had on the lot and agreed to sell us the car at his invoice. There was no marketing fee mentioned. Keep in mind that you can actually buy a car through Carsdirect.com so you should use that as leverage when talking with a dealer.

The only reason we didn't buy was because they didn't have the color combo my wife wanted on the lot and wouldn't order one for us. After that we decided to wait for bigger rebates. BTW, you still get the rebate if you finance. I'd suggest you check out www.carbuyingtips.com before you lay down any coin.

Jim
Marketing fee seems to be regional so it may have not been added in your area. Every dealer in the Cincinnati area has the same fee of $500 for the SE 6M.

As far as the rebate, yes it is available if you finance through your OWN source but I don't think it is allowed in conjunction with the .9 or 3.9 APR financing through Nissan itself. I f I am wrong by ALL means please let me know a.s.a.p.
Old 03-20-2002, 08:06 PM

It's said that...

Because the Altima is the car of the year, the Maxima is having a hard time being sold. So it's easier to get a good deal (aruge) for a max right now because of that reason.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1st Dealer...

Originally posted by RKS

Marketing fee seems to be regional so it may have not been added in your area. Every dealer in the Cincinnati area has the same fee of $500 for the SE 6M.

As far as the rebate, yes it is available if you finance through your OWN source but I don't think it is allowed in conjunction with the .9 or 3.9 APR financing through Nissan itself. I f I am wrong by ALL means please let me know a.s.a.p.

I would not automatically assume that that financing is NOT available to you. I would assume that it is and let them prove you wrong. The dealership that agreed to sell us the car at invoice was also offering 0% financing at the time but they insisted it was only if you paid full price for the car. We refused to pay full price.

Jim
Old 03-21-2002, 06:25 AM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1st Dealer...

That's not right either. In fact, it could easily be argued that it's false advertising. At full-price that usually means MSRP... normally $2k over invoice.

At that rate, it's like paying interest on the car.

I would not automatically assume that that financing is NOT available to you. I would assume that it is and let them prove you wrong. The dealership that agreed to sell us the car at invoice was also offering 0% financing at the time but they insisted it was only if you paid full price for the car. We refused to pay full price.

Jim
Old 03-21-2002, 07:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1st Dealer...

Originally posted by soundmike
That's not right either. In fact, it could easily be argued that it's false advertising. At full-price that usually means MSRP... normally $2k over invoice.

At that rate, it's like paying interest on the car.

Are you saying that paying a higher price for the car at 0% is the same as paying a lower price financed at X% interest? If so, I agree. I don't believe that it was false advertising because the ad only said '0% financing available' not '0% financing at invoice' or something similar.

FWIW, he did initially come down to about $27k on a $29k car (loaded GLE, no Nav) but I countered with my Carsdirect price of about $25k which was just under their invoice.

The bottom line is that most newspaper ads are just geared to get you into the showroom where the dealer knows its salespeople will work you over. They don't count on folks coming in with a printout of a carsdirect.com price.

Jim
Old 03-21-2002, 08:05 AM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1st Dealer...

Yep. True, it may not be regarded as false advertising, but it is sneaky nevertheless.

It's like those lures they put on newspapers - "2002 Maxima GLE! Fully Loaded! $21,999", but when you go in there the usual line is "Oh, that one is already sold... can i interest you in..?"

I guess as long as there'll be car buyers there's always going to be some sneaky car salesman willing to screw someone over.

Are you saying that paying a higher price for the car at 0% is the same as paying a lower price financed at X% interest? If so, I agree. I don't believe that it was false advertising because the ad only said '0% financing available' not '0% financing at invoice' or something similar.

FWIW, he did initially come down to about $27k on a $29k car (loaded GLE, no Nav) but I countered with my Carsdirect price of about $25k which was just under their invoice.

The bottom line is that most newspaper ads are just geared to get you into the showroom where the dealer knows its salespeople will work you over. They don't count on folks coming in with a printout of a carsdirect.com price.

Jim
Old 03-21-2002, 05:12 PM
RKS

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1st Dealer...

Well, went and found a Majestic Blue SE 6M, Frost Leather, Sunroof, no HLSD, or Nav, and don't need the Meridian Package with 0.9%financing. It has 23 miles. They will hold it until saturday so we can work out the trade-in price for the VW Passat.

Invoice was 26,635 and there is a regional $500 marketing fee that none of the 5 local dealers will eat so the lowest price we could get is 27,135 before TTR. I guess we could try to get other financing and get the car for 26,135.

Didn't want to damage 'our' car so my wife and I took out another 6M for a test drive. All I can say is that she told me to wipe the grin off my face before we walked back into the dealership! Hopefully by this weekend the 95 SE will have another SE garagemate.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:19 PM

The reason the dealer was offering you the 0% financing at MSRP is because they would be making WAY more money that way. Dealers don't make money off financing, the bank does, they only make money off the final price of the vehicle before TTL. Basically in that fashion they're screwing the bank out of the money and pocketing whatever else you would have paid for interest.

I hate car dealers.