General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

2002 Stang GT 5spd vs. 1995 Maxima 5spd SE

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

Great...I'm glad they have torque...I drove a 2002 Stang GT 5-speed...and it was quick through first and second gear...but once it hit third it fell flat on it's face. Pretty Sad for how much power it has.

There are MANY reasons why I don't need or want an old Z28 to beat on Stangs. First of all...I need a reliable car with good build quality...not some 100,000 mile f-body that eats gas and oil like crazy. Second of all...when it snows in the winter here in chicago, I wouldn't be caught dead driving a RWD pony car. Third of all...I can beat up on 90% of all the Stangs in my area with my MAXIMA....when you pull up next to a stock stang in a Z28...they KNOW they are going to get whopped...and it's no fun...but when you pull up next to one in a family car...they think they will beat your pants off....and when they lose it's all worth it just to see the look on their face. In fact...I can beat up on stock LS-1s with my maxima as it is now...and that's even more fun....

BTW-The 1/4 mile time in my sig is from last year...my car is a good bit quicker now...plus I get almost 30mpg on the highway..and 21-22 mpg in the city...and I've put less than 2 grand in go fast mods into my car....there's my justification.
Hey, I hate Mustangs. I'm sure not going to defend them. I do respect them as competion. I don't get next to them in my auto 00 Max. My point was that it's a different league than the "sports sedan" that you also tool around in. I'm not telling you to buy an old Z either, it was just a point about the cash. $2K in mods on a V8 pony car will probably put you in the low 13s 70% of the time.

As for you beating LS1s... well if you have some juice, and they are total goofs, then I guess so. Most stock LS1s run 13.50-12.89, and I don't see that type of time in your sig. They are "under rated" too (by about 25 HP) Besides, I own both cars, and can speak to both worlds. I haven't had my SS to the track yet, so I will have to conceed on my own experience. With a programmer and free mods, I beat other SSs on the street. If I spent 2K, I could hit 12.50 with just gears and a torque converter. My 96 SS ran 14.10 stone stock, and the last time I ran it at the track, I saw a 99 Max with an SC go 14.05. It can be done, but for a lot more money, as most Max owners will admit.

Enjoy your car buddy. That's why we buy 'em right? You damned sure don't have to prove anything to me!

Old 03-24-2002, 02:14 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

nope, the guy I know can beat any car he races no matter what he's driving....

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
I could beat one too...pull out my .38 shoot a tire and drive off.

-Does that count ?
Old 03-24-2002, 02:48 AM
OG :)

Originally posted by Craig Mack
He's gonna eat me up isn't he
u dont want to have none of that flava in ur ear! just test drove a 2k gt(5 speed) today and that v8 can break ya neck as well as attract chics
Old 03-24-2002, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by sterling00max

As for you beating LS1s... well if you have some juice, and they are total goofs, then I guess so. Most stock LS1s run 13.50-12.89, and I don't see that type of time in your sig. They are "under rated" too (by about 25 HP)
If you read my earlier post you'd see that my 1/4mile in my sig is from LAST YEAR...I have since added A LOT more power....when I beat LS-1s, most of the time it's from a roll...NOT FROM A DEAD STOP...if I have to run them out of a light....I'm lucky to catch them by 80....becuase I get SO MUCH wheel spin off the line. I enjoy running from a roll much more than dragging out of stoplights.....
Old 03-24-2002, 12:30 PM

Old 03-24-2002, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

If you read my earlier post you'd see that my 1/4mile in my sig is from LAST YEAR...I have since added A LOT more power....when I beat LS-1s, most of the time it's from a roll...NOT FROM A DEAD STOP...if I have to run them out of a light....I'm lucky to catch them by 80....becuase I get SO MUCH wheel spin off the line. I enjoy running from a roll much more than dragging out of stoplights.....
Yeah, whatever. Not much sense in talking about this topic anymore with Mr. "beats LS1 with mystery mods" guy.

Peace.
Old 03-24-2002, 03:43 PM

Camaro isnt much of a Car. If you want straight line performance its a great bang for the buck. There are tons of mods out there for them also. Other than that, the car is just outdated. F-bodies handle, brake, and ride poorly. BTW i dont know where you are getting that SS's run 12.89. There was a WS6 with mods at Rt.66 that couldnt break under 13.5. He ran a SVT Lightning that was modded, which was a great race.
Old 03-24-2002, 03:56 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
Does he own an Acura ?
Old 03-24-2002, 04:00 PM

Yeah, whatever. Not much sense in talking about this topic anymore with Mr. "beats LS1 with mystery mods" guy.

Peace.
I was in the car when he somked an LT1 Z28 from a 25 mph roll. He even missed third and had to let off it for a second and still won. My buddy has a 00 6spd Z28 and BriGuy would smoke it any any of the week on the bottle.
Old 03-24-2002, 10:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what years was LS1?
Old 03-24-2002, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by SkylineGTR
what years was LS1?
LS1s are 98 and newer 305 hp....LT1 was 275 and i belive the 97 LT1 was 285.
Old 03-25-2002, 06:49 PM

OK, the f-body chasis has some age on it, and it can get sloppy in the rain, but it definitely out handles my 2000 SE, which is a FAMILY CAR. There are a number of magazines that have tested LS1 into the 12s stock, but GM High Tech Performance, July 99 is the issue with a 12.89 time that comes to mind. It was Dec 15 in Atco, NJ, so the weather had quite a bit to do with it. Most drivers can clock off a 13.50 even if they suck. Beating LT1s with a NOS Max is not the same thing as bolt-on vs. bolt-on comparisons. I don't like Nitros on anything because it will eat your motor up, and it runs out. People put 350s in Vegas back in the early 80s, and I didn't care for that either. Without the juice, you are toast for an LS1. I toast 95% of everything on the street almost stock.

I drive it because I like it. I like the Max too, but it's not a race car. Drive and appreciate whatever car you like. I do.
Old 03-25-2002, 06:59 PM

OK, the f-body chasis has some age on it, and it can get sloppy in the rain, but it definitely out handles my 2000 SE, which is a FAMILY CAR. There are a number of magazines that have tested LS1 into the 12s stock, but GM High Tech Performance, July 99 is the issue with a 12.89 time that comes to mind. It was Dec 15 in Atco, NJ, so the weather had quite a bit to do with it. Most drivers can clock off a 13.50 even if they suck. Beating LT1s with a NOS Max is not the same thing as bolt-on vs. bolt-on comparisons. I don't like Nitros on anything because it will eat your motor up, and it runs out. People put 350s in Vegas back in the early 80s, and I didn't care for that either. Without the juice, you are toast for an LS1. I toast 95% of everything on the street almost stock.

I drive it because I like it. I like the Max too, but it's not a race car. Drive and appreciate whatever car you like. I do.
No offense, but your numbers are way off. A stock SS isnt gonna run 12.89. Thats very close to a Z06, which has lots more hp and tq. The LS1's i saw at Route 66 Raceway were mainly 13.5s. I think that beating Muscle Cars in a 4 DOOR SEDAN with NOS is hillarious. I am into sleeper cars that people dont know about and a NOS Maxima is one hell of a sleeper. My friend has a CLK55 AMG and that things a sleeper to most Z28/GT drivers. He pulls up next to them at a light and they think its a 320/430 and have no chance. From a roll, LS1s have to be modded pretty well to take that car.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:00 PM

sterling00max, I don't know why you are continuing with this, you and I know these guys are oblivious to the reality. A Maxima even with NOS and everything else does not stand a chance against a machine engineered for straight line performance, sporting an engine almost twice the displacement, gobs more HP and especially TORQUE than even the combined theoretical performance additions from all the mods on a Maxima. Not to mention better gearing for racing and a lesser drag coefficient on the LT1 in question.

We even forget what the thread is about, "2002 Stang GT 5spd vs. 1995 Maxima 5spd SE", and the Maxima does not stand a chance. It is not "Stock 2002 Stang GT with a poor driver 5spd vs. Magical 1995 Modified Maxima 5spd SE with Bill Elliot at the wheel".

I find the mentality is a bit unnerving especially with threads like "Beat by a Honda...uhhh?". That's about as bad as the Civic ricers that think they rule the road. A Maxima should know it's place in the food chain.

And btw, during my research on the Maximas, all this 'magic' about this car is starting to fall apart especially doing the numbers.

The great 0-60 performance the Maxima is know for is a simply an engineering trick with a short second gear (1.85), so the 60mph mark was made to come at redline of the second gear, thus giving it the appearance of high performance, but at the expense of a shorter final 5th gear (0.8). If I ever do end up with a Maxima I know for sure it's going to be an automatic as the manual will cruise at unacceptable for me RPM at highway speeds, not what a 3.0 V6 should turn at those speeds.

A more realistic comparison of Maxima with it’s direct competitor, the Camry, auto for auto, reveals that the Maxima is faster to 60 due to it's second gear, and the Camry is faster to 100. Both are not much faster than each other in either test, but none the less.

The Camry also slightly out accelerates the Maxima in 20-80mph, 30-50mph, and 50-70mph tests. The real on road test. There is absolutely nothing magical about the Maxima, it's all numbers, nothing more, they either add up or they don’t, and a lot of bragging on this board does not add up.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:24 PM

dont sleep on the camry's...
Old 03-25-2002, 08:29 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

This has been another presentaion of "The Maxima is God's Charriot Theater"

please join us next time for another intriguing story.....
Old 03-25-2002, 09:05 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by SUPER-6
The great 0-60 performance the Maxima is know for is a simply an engineering trick with a short second gear (1.85), so the 60mph mark was made to come at redline of the second gear, thus giving it the appearance of high performance, but at the expense of a shorter final 5th gear (0.8). If I ever do end up with a Maxima I know for sure it's going to be an automatic as the manual will cruise at unacceptable for me RPM at highway speeds, not what a 3.0 V6 should turn at those speeds.

Sorry Super-6, but you really need to research some things before you post. Look at my "Abe" quote in my sig. Second gear on the 95-01 Maxima is good for nearly 67mph (@6550 redline). Not exactly the 60mph you suggest. However, I will add that shifting at 6300rpms (65mph) is ideal for optimul acceleration. As for being high strung on the highway, 60mph in 5 speed is running at ~2500rpms. Sure, this is higher than a F-body loafing along at 1300rpms, but remember the F-Body has TWO overdrive gears and the auto has a deep overdrive. If I remember right (more on this later), a 6 speed F-Body would be turning over 2200rpms at 60mph in 5th which isn't that much different than the Maxima. With the rpms at 2500+ while on the highway there's NO NEED to downshift with the Maxima. The passing power is there. The VQ motor is VERY torquey for a 6 and the light weight of the car overall makes for easy get up and go on the highway. Unlike most pushrod V8s, the VQ is very quiet and has no vibration at any rpm. I don't know how many times I've caught myself crusing accidently in 4th at 80mph (4000rpms) and the only thing that caught my attention was the fact that rpms looked a little high. Once you drive a 5 speed VQ you'll understand why it's geared like it is. You won't have any problems with it. I also know for damn sure that my car doesn't fall flat after 2nd gear. I call 3rd gear my "walking gear". That means if your next to me thru 2nd, chances are you be able to keep up thru 3rd (unless you're spinning like crazy ). This has happened to many 5.0/4.6 Stangs on the track

As for Maximas not being able to beat LT1s, never say never. I've already done it twice at KCIR. I'm not saying my car is as fast as an LT1 all the time, but I have beaten them. I've also beaten many Stangs like I stated above. I'll also add that I've been utterly destroyed by F-Bodys and Stangs, more times than not. I have raced my friends bonestock 95 Z28 auto. From a stop to 70mph he gets me by 2 cars. From a roll to 100mph, I pull on him a little. It's all in the 0-30mph advantage.

Do I not sound like a credible witness Guess what I drove for 3 years before my Maxima? Try a modified 94 Z28. It was a 94 coupe, automatic with 2.73s, Borla Y-pipe, Flowmaster 3" single out catback, JET stage II chip, Whisper MAF, MSD 6a, intake, LT4 knock sensor, and billet 16s. It ran 13.4s modified and 13.9-14.0 stock. I know what these cars are capable of and I know dama well that some LT1s run better than others.

A Maxima with a 50 shot nitrous is more than capable of keeping up with many LT1/LS1 F-Bodys. Not all LS1s run 12.8s@110mph. It seems like most modded LS1s go 13.5s@102-103mph.

I do agree with you on some things. There are many LS1s that have gone 12s bonestock and there's no disputing that. I also agree that the musclecars are setup for drag racing. You can never go wrong with RWD and a well setup live axle. Lots of torque and FWD really sucks for drag racing just look at my sig and you'll notice how a lack of traction really hurts my ET. Handling wise, my Maxima outhandles my Z28, but only after adding a full suspension to the Maxima.

*off the soap box*

Dave
Old 03-25-2002, 10:41 PM

We even forget what the thread is about, "2002 Stang GT 5spd vs. 1995 Maxima 5spd SE", and the Maxima does not stand a chance. It is not "Stock 2002 Stang GT with a poor driver 5spd vs. Magical 1995 Modified Maxima 5spd SE with Bill Elliot at the wheel".

I find the mentality is a bit unnerving especially with threads like "Beat by a Honda...uhhh?". That's about as bad as the Civic ricers that think they rule the road. A Maxima should know it's place in the food chain.
Bill Elliot is a redneck. If you wanna point out a good driver, say someone like Michael Schumacher. NASCAR IMO is for a bunch of drunken hicks. I mean how can you get enjoyment out of watching 60's technology driving in circles?
Old 03-25-2002, 11:01 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by MAX2000JP
Bill Elliot is a redneck. If you wanna point out a good driver, say someone like Michael Schumacher. NASCAR IMO is for a bunch of drunken hicks. I mean how can you get enjoyment out of watching 60's technology driving in circles?
Old 03-25-2002, 11:02 PM

Beating LT1s with a NOS Max is not the same thing as bolt-on vs. bolt-on comparisons. I don't like Nitros on anything because it will eat your motor up, and it runs out.

Again...displaying your ignorance....you obviously don't know how Nitrous works. It DOES NOT EAT UP YOUR MOTOR IF YOU USE IT RIGHT If you don't use it right, you can blow your motor just like you can with a S/C or Turbo running too lean.

To prove that it doesn't eat up a motor, I had an oil analysis done last summer after running 4 full bottles of NOS through my engine. The results showed no abnormal wear at all, and the guys at Blackstone labs complimented me on my nice running Nissan engine.

You can say whatever you want about me using NOS to beat f-bodies.....fact is...when I pull up next to them...and proceed to smoke them repeatdly....it's just plain hilarous....they get their panties in a bunch about the fact that a 4 door FAMILY SEDAN just beat their muscle car. It makes my day every time.

You have your opinions...and I have mine...I'm not oblivious to reality, I have been beaten by all kinds of cars...including f-bodies...but I know where I stand...and I STUDY my opponents so 90% of the time I know what I'm getting myself into even before the race starts......ask most f-body guys what kind of engine comes in a Nissan Maxima...and most will tell you a 4-cylinder....now I don't call that knowing your opponent.
Old 03-25-2002, 11:18 PM
SLOW

I've sat silent on this thread long enough.

I have seen 2 guys run 12.99s (one was a 12.997 and one a 12.993) in stock 6 speed LS1s. Traps were 108 and 109mph respectively. Is that the norm, no its FAR FROM IT. Typically I see 6spd LS1s running 13.2-13.5 @ 104-106ish. It seems the newer the year, the more underrated they tend to be. Underrating comes from large engineering tolerances. Some people are lucky and get combinations of parts that come together to produce better than average performance, some get worse than average. In general, its a domestic thing. Fords are the same way. You can take the same car, same mods, same driver, and see trap speed variations of 2-3 mph on the same day.

I've played with LS1s on the track, on the highway and at lights, and make no mistake, I've gotten burned.

The remark about the food chain is sheer idiocy. The ability to move up the "food chain" is the entire point of modifying a car. If we were all relegated to our stock "place in the food chain" why would anyone modify their car.

The second gear trick comment is inaccurate as well, you can wind 2nd out to almost 70mph at redline, so there goes that claim out the window.

As for numbers "not adding up..." add this up: 93-97 LT1 Z28 presumably stock, dark green in color with tinted windows, on Interstate-94 between Jackson and Detroit, Michigan. Add a modded 5spd 97 Maxima, with intake, exhaust, y-pipe, udp. Add the fact that said Maxima, BriGuyMax's to be precise, was running a dyno proven 30 hp less AT THE WHEELS than it should have been. To confirm this, my car, a 5 speed 96 Maxima, with ONLY A Y PIPE utterly annihilated him the night before both on the highway and from a dead stop. Don't go thinking he was on the spray at this time either, his bottle was empty. I still have yet to ride in his car with nitrous activated, and I've ridden in the car plenty of times. Add a video camera, and 4 runs with this LT1, all from about 80 mph, up to speeds of 110 and 120 one time. Add up the lengths that the Maxima put on the Z28, approximately 5-7 of them from 80-120. It wasn't pretty for the Z28. Now just think if Brian's car hadn't been running like crap then. Hell if my car had been in the race, I would have been so far in front of them they wouldn't have been able to read my license plate.

That LT1 has what, 275 hp and 300+ ft lb of torque? It was probably an auto 2.73, but still, the numbers don't add up now do they. But it happened. We have it on video, 4 times. My point is this, stop magazine racing and quoting hypothetical performance numbers from Car and Driver. Get out there and drive.
Old 03-26-2002, 06:42 AM

A more realistic comparison of Maxima with it’s direct competitor, the Camry
Please specify what year max you're talking about. BTW, what car do you have right now? I would think if you're researching the max, that you'd research the 2k2 and nothing you've said here holds true for the 2k2. If you were talking about a previous year max, I don't know much about 'em so just ignore me.

I don't see any bragging. Just facts to gather a conclusion. There are many levels to the food chain and the max destroys the Stang GT in categories other than the 1/4.
Old 03-26-2002, 06:45 AM

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP COMPARING A MAXIMA TO A MUSTANG!! u guys sound so stupid comparing a maxima engine to a v-8..sheesh grow up and give the maxima back to your grandfather..
Old 03-26-2002, 06:51 AM

nevermind, I thought this was the 5th Gen. forum, ignore me, I'm retarded, that's right, the down syndrome kicked in a little early this morning
Old 03-26-2002, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by JibaroMax
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP COMPARING A MAXIMA TO A MUSTANG!! u guys sound so stupid comparing a maxima engine to a v-8..sheesh grow up and give the maxima back to your grandfather..
WTF man? If you're not going to say somthing nice and intelligent, don't say anything at all.

When exactly did we ever compare a Maxima's "AWARD-WINNING" VQ engine to that under-powered (under-powered becuase the LS-1 in the competing Camaro has WAY more power) gas-guzzler in the Mustang??????
Old 03-26-2002, 08:53 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

My cat's breath smells like cat food