General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What brand of bulbs gives great vision in bad weather?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 09:11 PM

What brand of bulbs gives great vision in bad weather?

I have Nokya foglights and cheap HID look alike Headlight bulbs. They suck when it rains, just the other day my girlfriend thought I had my headlights off. I will probably be selling the Nokya H3's and put the stock Bosche bulbs in. Is HID lighting systems good in bad weather? What brand should I get if I am more concerned with bad weather lighting then looks. I hit a piece of curb in the road the other day in the rain and did not even see it. Better lighting could of saved me $100+ and time!
Old 03-21-2002, 09:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: What brand of bulbs gives great vision in bad weather?

I think yellow bulbs are recommended for bad weather. Order a pair of Phillips Allweather fogs to complement your headlights.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:53 PM

Re: Re: What brand of bulbs gives great vision in bad weather?

Originally posted by Mishmosh
I think yellow bulbs are recommended for bad weather. Order a pair of Phillips Allweather fogs to complement your headlights.
Yeah where can I pick up a pair of those?
Old 03-21-2002, 10:00 PM

Re: Re: What brand of bulbs gives great vision in bad weather?

Originally posted by Mishmosh
The French sold everyone on yellow bulbs back in the 60's. I don't know that they really make that much difference. Same with ski goggles ....
Old 03-21-2002, 11:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: What brand of bulbs gives great vision in bad weather?

Originally posted by OriginalMadMax

The French sold everyone on yellow bulbs back in the 60's. I don't know that they really make that much difference. Same with ski goggles ....

The reason why the French had yellow headlights is because in World War II, they had yellow lights, while the germans had white headlights. That's why the french were yellow. Also, Yellow (light,lenses) actually enhance objects around you. so yes, these would give you really good vision in bad weather.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
Sorry bro. I forget where I got mine, but it was online. I think it was $7-8 each for H3's and free worldwide shipping, no minimum order limit.
Old 03-22-2002, 07:20 AM

JDwyer2821 & Max96LSU

[i]Yeah where can I pick up a pair of those? [/B]
Go to:

http://www.autooptiks.com/matrix.html

OR

http://www.autolamps-online.com/halo...thercentre.htm

[i]The reason why the French had yellow headlights is because in World War II, they had yellow lights, while the germans had white headlights. That's why the french were yellow. Also, Yellow (light,lenses) actually enhance objects around you. so yes, these would give you really good vision in bad weather.[/B]
Interesting trivia, but for the science part of the explanation, yellow light is the low on the visible light spectrum in terms of frequency (ROYGBIV - Violet being the highest). The higher the frequency of light, the faster the waves are traveling. For some reason (haven't done all my research), faster waves get defracted and reflected more readily by moisture (drops of water in the air). Since yellow light moves slower than regular white light (much slower than HID colored lamps) it does not render as much backdazzle (reflected light back into the driver's eyes). Also, since it doesn't get defracted as much. more light hit certain spots on the road (according to the design of the lamp) giving the driver more usable light.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:37 AM

Re: JDwyer2821 & Max96LSU

Originally posted by Albertt

Interesting trivia, but for the science part of the explanation, yellow light is the low on the visible light spectrum in terms of frequency (ROYGBIV - Violet being the highest). The higher the frequency of light, the faster the waves are traveling. For some reason (haven't done all my research), faster waves get defracted and reflected more readily by moisture (drops of water in the air). Since yellow light moves slower than regular white light (much slower than HID colored lamps) it does not render as much backdazzle (reflected light back into the driver's eyes). Also, since it doesn't get defracted as much. more light hit certain spots on the road (according to the design of the lamp) giving the driver more usable light.
Interesting indeed, but I still don't know if I'm ready to put yellow foglamp bulbs on the car. I think I'd rather have all of them bright white.
Old 03-22-2002, 11:24 AM

OriginalMadMax, hey whatever floats your boat >>

Originally posted by OriginalMadMax

Interesting indeed, but I still don't know if I'm ready to put yellow foglamp bulbs on the car. I think I'd rather have all of them bright white.
I've got Philips AllWeathers in my headlamps, and regular clear in my foglamps...
Old 03-22-2002, 12:31 PM

Re: OriginalMadMax, hey whatever floats your boat >>

I've got Philips AllWeathers in my headlamps, and regular clear in my foglamps...
How are they? What color does your headlights look?
Old 03-22-2002, 12:38 PM

Keeping mind that my '97 has clear lenses and a multifaceted reflector surface... >>

...and your 3rd Gen has the older style etched glass lens.

It's looks yellow if you look straight on. There are odd bluish, greenish tones when standing to the side, this being due to the dichroic coating used to achieve the yellow light. All "yellow" bulbs are subject to this behavior, unless they are sourced from a projector lens.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:42 PM

JDwyer2821: OOps, to answer you first question ... >>

How are they?
They work wonderfully (as good as the standard Philips bulbs) in clear weather. In the rain, fog and especially in the snow, they are better than white light bulbs.

The color isn't as deep and pure a yellow as the foglamps of the Lexus GS, IS and Infiniti QX, but it satisfies my needs, for now.
Old 03-22-2002, 04:00 PM

www.autobulbdepot.com
i'm pretty sure thats it.
i have these bulbs and they're F'in great all the time. now i just need a blue headlight thats as good.
Old 03-22-2002, 08:15 PM

Re: JDwyer2821 & Max96LSU

Interesting trivia, but for the science part of the explanation, yellow light is the low on the visible light spectrum in terms of frequency (ROYGBIV - Violet being the highest). The higher the frequency of light, the faster the waves are traveling.
Since we are talking physics here.. The speed of light, c, is a constant. and it equals the frequency times the wavelength. ALL light in the same medium travels at the same speed. Its the frequency and the wavelength that varies. I think the wavelength has to do with how far a light beam goes, so in the case of yellow, it goes farther because it has a longer wavelength.

Sorry for the physics, but we're studying this stuff right now in class.
Old 03-22-2002, 08:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What brand of bulbs gives great vision in bad weather?

Originally posted by MaDMaX024

www.autobulbdepot.com
i have these bulbs and they're F'in great all the time. now i just need a blue headlight thats as good.
I trade you my nokya extreme white H3s for your Philips allweather H3 I think I will order a pair of each just to swith over in bad weather and my fake HID bulbs for dry weather
Old 03-22-2002, 08:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What brand of bulbs gives great vision in bad weather?

www.autobulbdepot.com
I don't think they sell philips there? They sell catz gold.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:05 PM

Re: JDwyer2821: OOps, to answer you first question ... >>

They work wonderfully (as good as the standard Philips bulbs) in clear weather. In the rain, fog and especially in the snow, they are better than white light bulbs.

The color isn't as deep and pure a yellow as the foglamps of the Lexus GS, IS and Infiniti QX, but it satisfies my needs, for now.
I saw a Lexus tonight returning from Sacto to the Bay Area. He had blue tint lenses and yellow fogs and it looked great! Now I'm thinking, maybe Philips blue vision 9004s and yellow Allweather H3's. I know the Philips aren't really that blue, but I don't want a bulb that stands out too much (for the cops), more into just good lighting (which was one reason I originally wanted a white H3). Too many choices .... need to look at more pictures (knowing what they are running).
Old 03-22-2002, 09:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What brand of bulbs gives great vision in bad weather?

I trade you my nokya extreme white H3s for your Philips allweather H3 I think I will order a pair of each just to swith over in bad weather and my fake HID bulbs for dry weather
man, $20 for 3 bulbs DELIVERED!
i love my yellow fogs..now i just need some stock lenses. how about we trade..my allweather H3 for your stock foglights you can even have my fogs and keep your nokya bulbs! thats a deal man
Old 03-23-2002, 02:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What brand of bulbs gives great vision in bad weather?

man, $20 for 3 bulbs DELIVERED!
i love my yellow fogs..now i just need some stock lenses. how about we trade..my allweather H3 for your stock foglights you can even have my fogs and keep your nokya bulbs! thats a deal man
My bosche foglight lense already has a big *** crack. I am going to nissan to see how much for a new lense is!
Old 03-23-2002, 07:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What brand of bulbs gives great vision in bad weather?

My bosche foglight lense already has a big *** crack. I am going to nissan to see how much for a new lense is!
see how much it is for a new set..i want GXE fogs, not SE (i dont like the bucktooth look)
Old 03-23-2002, 01:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What brand of bulbs gives great vision in bad weather?

see how much it is for a new set..i want GXE fogs, not SE (i dont like the bucktooth look)
About $100 with install package
Old 03-23-2002, 01:26 PM

Expanding on all the physics talk, yellow is also perceived by the human eye better. Yellow and green light actually. That's why most fire trucks are yellow now and the Federal Fire Dept at the airports are a yellow-green. This makes them easier to see in the event of an emergency.
Old 03-23-2002, 02:18 PM

Re: Re: OriginalMadMax, hey whatever floats your boat >>

I've got the Philips AllWeathers for my heads. Ground shines yellow, while head-on one looks purple the other looks green. The advantage of this ugly setup is that everyone let's me pass at night. They all want to know what clown has this setup . Its all good...

BTW, I picked mine up from a local Wal-Mart store dirt cheap. Perhaps thats why they have funny colours! I'm just waiting for a setup that incorporates H.I.Ds and high-beams, so the can't hassle me.

They're better than the blue, but not much.
Old 03-23-2002, 02:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: OriginalMadMax, hey whatever floats your boat >>

I ended up going with the AIE Xenon super plasmas from www.demandmotorsports.com They had the best price for the 9004s that I saw (($24.95/pr). I'm getting the 55w xenon H3s to go with them ($16/pr) and xenon 194/168 corners to match. Now my side marker light won't stand out so much since I've flipped it around to run the hot filament. I decided to stay all white lighting, since I like the intense bright look and don't deal with that much rain here in California.