General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 01:23 PM

Clutch noise

I've had my aluminum flywheel and JWT setup in the car now for about six months. A couple of weeks ago I started hearing a noise I thought was hissing from some intake mod I had done, but in the past couple of days the noise has gotten louder and I can identify it as coming from the clutch. When I depress the pedal, it's kind of a "whirring" sound, like it's being made from the spinning flywheel. The clutch still holds great, and I haven't been abusing it (I do drive kind of hard, but no big launches). Just the fact that it's gotten louder has my attention. Could there already be a problem? The throwout bearing is new ...
Old 03-25-2002, 02:36 PM

Re: Clutch noise

Originally posted by OriginalMadMax
I've had my aluminum flywheel and JWT setup in the car now for about six months. A couple of weeks ago I started hearing a noise I thought was hissing from some intake mod I had done, but in the past couple of days the noise has gotten louder and I can identify it as coming from the clutch. When I depress the pedal, it's kind of a "whirring" sound, like it's being made from the spinning flywheel. The clutch still holds great, and I haven't been abusing it (I do drive kind of hard, but no big launches). Just the fact that it's gotten louder has my attention. Could there already be a problem? The throwout bearing is new ...
I forget if people said this was a sign of clutch chatter or not but is this the stock clutch or one upgraded to ACT or another company? Try searching clutch chatter and see if that helps.

SuDZ
Old 03-25-2002, 02:46 PM

That whirring sound describes a bearing issue. Maybe you got a defective throwout bearing or it was damaged during the install?
Old 03-25-2002, 03:39 PM

Re: Re: Clutch noise

Check my sig ... I have the JWT stage 1 clutch. It sounds like throwout bearing to me, and my trani guy (#1 recommended shop in the area by friends in the business) said that's probably what it is ... "Bring it by for a listen." This sucks. The clutch and t.o. bearing are maybe 6 months old. In the last 6 months I've 1)replaced the trani; 2)pulled it again for the Quaife, and now this. I've never had a t.o. bearing go bad before, and I've been driving 5 speeds for 31 years.
Old 03-25-2002, 05:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Clutch noise

Yep. Just got back from the shop. It's the t.o. bearing. I put a new one in with the JWT clutch in July, got 13,000 miles out of it. That sucks! The shop was saying how so many parts are junk now (though they generally like Nissan OEM, which my new/old part is) - they put a throwout bearing in a GM 4x4 last weekend, and it's already back with the bearing out! That REALLY sucks! Almost takes away the pain of dropping my trani for the 3rd time in 9 months ....