General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How Do I Install Wheel Stud??? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 05:59 PM
Sports Button FTW

How Do I Install Wheel Stud??? Help!

I am going to put my rims back on this friday but one of my studs is damaged and I really want to replace it...bought the stud already but don't have a clue on how to replace it. I used the search and they just gave me one thread that talked about measurements and some manual. I talked to Nissan and they said it costs 75 dollars to do installation of wheel stud. I'm not trying to pay that much. I live in Northern New Jersey and if anyone of u have a shop around this area and are willing to do it for me at half the price or less, please let me know. If not, can any of you school me on how to do this? I have about 10 hours to spare on Friday, I want to have this done and my rims installed before 6 hopefully, but I really need some instructions on how to do this. If you guys think it's virtually impossible to be done by a home garage with only a few wrenches and a hammer (lol) then let me know and i'll give up the dough at the dealership , but if it's possible and has been done, please someone, i beg, give me the 411 on how to do this, thank you all in advance....
Old 03-26-2002, 06:04 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

It's not hard to do by yourself...

Just knock them in with a hammer and the remove from behind. You'll need to spin the hub until there is enough space to take them out (or put them in). Of course you need to remove the caliper and rotor stuff.
Old 03-26-2002, 06:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

olson tire here in florida did it for me for $62 for 2 of them.. it's really an easy process, the hardest part is getting the caliper on and off..

as far as nothern NJ, if you know where Mother's Performance is on RT 46 in Rockaway, the guy Dennis there is a guy that i am really good friends with and could probably recommend someone. if you want to talk to him, let me know and i can give you his number and my name so he knows to help you out.

i am sure any midas/meinekie/etc will be able to do it.
Old 03-26-2002, 06:15 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by thebigsadler
olson tire here in florida did it for me for $62 for 2 of them.. it's really an easy process, the hardest part is getting the caliper on and off..

as far as nothern NJ, if you know where Mother's Performance is on RT 46 in Rockaway, the guy Dennis there is a guy that i am really good friends with and could probably recommend someone. if you want to talk to him, let me know and i can give you his number and my name so he knows to help you out.

i am sure any midas/meinekie/etc will be able to do it.
I know people that can do it for me, problem is, they charging a lot and if I CAN DO IT, i would rather do it myself and save that money for something else u know? As far as knocking old studs out and taking calipers out and stuff, is there anywhere on the net that will show me step by step how to do this? I mean, i'm kind of dumb wit this stuff and need a strong list of instructions to properly direct me....HELP!!!
Old 03-26-2002, 06:16 PM

Dude, do NOT have anybody else install it! Anybody who paid over $10 for the install got ripped a new one. Pull the brakes off (14mm and 17mm wrenches for this, very easy), and then pull the rotor. If the rotor is stuck, insert a M8x1.25 (it may be M10, i dont remember) but bolt in there to pop it off. Once the brake is off, rotate the hub so the back side of the damanged stud gets to the spot that clears the dust shield. take a hammer and drive it out from the behind. Then, insert your new stud in from behind. You can either do the next step 1 of 2 ways. Either use an open M12x1.25 nut on a washer with an open ended wrench to "pull" the new wheel stud through. Or, you can take a stack of washers and use your lug nut to pull the new stud through as well. Its very easy.
Old 03-26-2002, 06:22 PM
Sports Button FTW

u made it sound real easy but u confused me with the M10X1.25...i don't know what that is nor do i think i have it...i have a 14 mm and 17 mm wrench but just like the bolts used for installing FSTB, the brake bolts and stuff may be too rusted and may take forever to remove....do u know if it would be easy to remove these bolts? also could u ellaborate on everything AFTER using 14 mm wrench to take out certain screws? told u i was an idiot
Old 03-26-2002, 07:19 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by meccanoble
u made it sound real easy but u confused me with the M10X1.25...i don't know what that is nor do i think i have it...i have a 14 mm and 17 mm wrench but just like the bolts used for installing FSTB, the brake bolts and stuff may be too rusted and may take forever to remove....do u know if it would be easy to remove these bolts? also could u ellaborate on everything AFTER using 14 mm wrench to take out certain screws? told u i was an idiot
For instructions on the brakes at least...
front brakes
rear brakes

after that... the stud replacement is pretty easy as stated by the other members.
Old 03-26-2002, 08:37 PM

I did this repair on a rear wheel. There isn't a lot of room to get a decent length wrench in there to break the rust, so I just used a lot of WD-40 and the nuts came right off. I see no reason to pay for this unless you don't feel comfortable removing the caliper (hardest part). You may not need the M8x1.25 bolt that ericdwong mentioned at all. My rotor came right off, but yours might be rusted on. If so, the bolt gets inserted into one of the small holes on the disc (near the holes for the wheel studs). page 9-11 in the Haynes manual has a great picture. I'm sure you can pick up the bolt at a home depot or other hardware store.

Ok, here is a link to step-by-step instructions: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ud+replacement
Daniel B. Martin has a great post about 1/3 of the way down the 1st page. These are the instructions that I used.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Solo950
You may not need the M8x1.25 bolt that ericdwong mentioned at all.
Actually, he was unsure. It is in fact M10x1.25. I had to make use of it recently, as the damn rusty rotor would not come off even after trying to bang it off. Made it so much easier.

Also note that the length of the wheel studs are different front vs. rear, I believe. Make sure you get the right ones.

Although an easy install, rusted parts can easily turn it into a pain in da **** as they did for me! The toughest part were getting the caliper mounting bolts off, and of course, the rotors... oh and getting the broken wheel stud out..
Old 03-26-2002, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by Mishmosh

oh and getting the broken wheel stud out..
I guess I'm lucky that I didn't have to do that. I had to have my lug nut torched off because the wheel stud came unseated from the hub. So, when they cut the stud the other half of the stud just fell out from the hub. After that I drove it home and installed the new one.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:41 PM

dude.. never go to nissan to fix little things.. I have 2 of my stud replaced by my local shop... 15 bucks each... call around and see if there is anyone that will do it cheap...
Old 03-26-2002, 11:04 PM
Sports Button FTW

i got the right screw, went to the dealership and got the front screw which came out to be 1.71 for only ONE STUD! Jesus, well, so far i understand i have to take off the brake which is by taking caliper off, but i get stuck wit pulling it off and the rest...assitance
Old 03-26-2002, 11:22 PM
Sports Button FTW

ok, just talked to Ians and i know how to do everything until taking caliper off...i was told not to pull forward just upward...now that it's off, how do i take rotor off and stuf or whatever is needed to replace wheel stud?
Old 03-26-2002, 11:24 PM

I got my wheel stud at Pep Boys for a few pennies. It doesnt look exactly the same as the OEM one, but it works just fine.

BTW, use 6 point tools whenever you can. Far less chance of you rounding off a bolt with 6 point then 12 point.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:34 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

ok, just talked to Ians and i know how to do everything until taking caliper off...i was told not to pull forward just upward...now that it's off, how do i take rotor off and stuf or whatever is needed to replace wheel stud?
Dude... use my webpage from my front Wilwoods ( I gave you the link above or you can click on my signature below)... It has lots of pictures...
Old 03-27-2002, 08:48 AM
Sports Button FTW

slowly gettting it

ok, i looked at your instructions, wow, so much easier with pics, but how do i cut the stud off? I mean how do i take it off? I don't have that tool that you have...all i have is knives and wrenches...is there a way i can use a hammer to pop it back and it will come out?
Old 03-27-2002, 08:52 AM
Sports Button FTW

also, what does the dust shield have to do with installing new brakes? i never knew our cars had a dustshielf to begin with but it looks like it has nothing to do wit the brakes so why do we even have to touch it? oh well, and why do we have to clean the bub area? Well bigger question is how do i take those studs off, after removing caliper and brake pad, i have room to mess wit studs but they gonna be rusted up and i don't have proper utensils to remove them....help!
Old 03-27-2002, 09:24 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

also, what does the dust shield have to do with installing new brakes? i never knew our cars had a dustshielf to begin with but it looks like it has nothing to do wit the brakes so why do we even have to touch it? oh well, and why do we have to clean the bub area? Well bigger question is how do i take those studs off, after removing caliper and brake pad, i have room to mess wit studs but they gonna be rusted up and i don't have proper utensils to remove them....help!
My webpage was for installing a BIG BRAKE UPGRADE! Just use the relevant parts UP TO REMOVING THE ROTOR! Please read carefully! All you have to do is use a hammer to knock the stud out. It comes out from behind. Others have given details in this thread... scroll back up.

If you are still unsure... YOU HONESTLY SHOULD BUY A MANUAL OR HAVE SOMEONE DO IT FOR YOU.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:41 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by Chunger

My webpage was for installing a BIG BRAKE UPGRADE! Just use the relevant parts UP TO REMOVING THE ROTOR! Please read carefully! All you have to do is use a hammer to knock the stud out. It comes out from behind. Others have given details in this thread... scroll back up.

If you are still unsure... YOU HONESTLY SHOULD BUY A MANUAL OR HAVE SOMEONE DO IT FOR YOU.
no no no...i understand clearly....thanks, hammer it out from front to back like i expected...now it's out....do i hammer new one back in from back to front?
Old 03-27-2002, 10:25 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

no no no...i understand clearly....thanks, hammer it out from front to back like i expected...now it's out....do i hammer new one back in from back to front?
Eric Wong and Solo950 have info already posted above... go back to page 1............
Old 03-27-2002, 01:30 PM
Sports Button FTW

stuck again

ok, now i understand everything but u guys say i HAVE to take rotor off to do this right? it's the circle thing right...is it way in front? i don't understand how i would take this off...once i take off caliper and brake pad, i should be able to knock screw out without touching rotor right? i checked alll directions and they say i can just pull it off but if it's rusty which i think mines will be, i don't have nor know what that M10X1.25 thing is...so guys, tell me that i don't have to take off rotor, just knock stud inward from outside and put new stud in hole, and on opposite side put nut (well lock in my case) and keep screwing clockwise till i can't go no more just to make sure stud is all the way in, do i really need washers? if i do i'll use them....plEASE get back to me wit this info
Old 03-27-2002, 01:46 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: stuck again

ok, now i understand everything but u guys say i HAVE to take rotor off to do this right? it's the circle thing right...is it way in front? i don't understand how i would take this off...once i take off caliper and brake pad, i should be able to knock screw out without touching rotor right? i checked alll directions and they say i can just pull it off but if it's rusty which i think mines will be, i don't have nor know what that M10X1.25 thing is...so guys, tell me that i don't have to take off rotor, just knock stud inward from outside and put new stud in hole, and on opposite side put nut (well lock in my case) and keep screwing clockwise till i can't go no more just to make sure stud is all the way in, do i really need washers? if i do i'll use them....plEASE get back to me wit this info
Summary... take off wheel, calipers, pads, caliper bracket, rotor in that order...

Then you can knock out the stud. With the rotor (the big round disc platter thing) on, there won't be a lot of room to get behind to remove or install the stud. Take the rotor off. You can loosen a rusted rotor from the hub but gently hitting the rotor (not the sweep area where the brake pads touch, though) with a hammer. owever, I would just go to a hardware store and get the M10X1.25 (if that's the correct size) so as to make life easier.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:07 PM
Sports Button FTW

ok, i know i'm bugging u too much...what is this caliper bracket? i thought caliper was thing that everyone paints that holds brake pads in place and has brake line hooked to...what is this bracket thing? Either way, ok, so i take off rotor which should just slide off and if not due to rust, how do i take off? AFter that is off i just bang old stud out? i don't want to buy this M10 thing cause i don't know what it is...hammer sounds a lot easier so after it's out, i put new one in and from there i understand what to do...i'll be working on this friday morning...hopefully some of u guys will be online to help me out if i run into any problems....
Old 03-27-2002, 02:10 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

ok, i know i'm bugging u too much...what is this caliper bracket? i thought caliper was thing that everyone paints that holds brake pads in place and has brake line hooked to...what is this bracket thing? Either way, ok, so i take off rotor which should just slide off and if not due to rust, how do i take off? AFter that is off i just bang old stud out? i don't want to buy this M10 thing cause i don't know what it is...hammer sounds a lot easier so after it's out, i put new one in and from there i understand what to do...i'll be working on this friday morning...hopefully some of u guys will be online to help me out if i run into any problems....
My webpage has pictures of the caliper, caliper bracket... etc..

I don't think I can explain it any better than my website...
Old 03-27-2002, 02:43 PM
Sports Button FTW

http://home.earthlink.net/~msue2/Wil...edassembly.jpg

ok, in the above picture, the black thing is the caliper right? the brake pad is being held by it right? so we can't really see it...now which part is the rotor? the outside silver circle? also, where is the caliper bracket? Once these questions are answered, I am set *hopefully*
Old 03-27-2002, 03:32 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

http://home.earthlink.net/~msue2/Wil...edassembly.jpg

ok, in the above picture, the black thing is the caliper right? the brake pad is being held by it right? so we can't really see it...now which part is the rotor? the outside silver circle? also, where is the caliper bracket? Once these questions are answered, I am set *hopefully*
That picture is a bad example cuz that's an aftermarket fixed caliper...

look below for the 'stock setup'

The 'crossdrilled' thing is the rotor...
The caliper bracket is what is holding the brake pads in place. Note the caliper propped up above the rotor (you should tie it up as you work! don't do what I did)

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2002, 05:57 PM
Sports Button FTW

ohh so the thing with all the bullet wounds is the rotor! and I just slide that off forward? that's it?! Dam this is easier than i thought....thanks man