General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I just got smoked!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2000, 06:04 PM

Here i am, driving on the local road,and this punk *** lil kid in a white civic pulls up next to me...he rev's his engine, and wants to race...so i'm like..yea boyee...its on...i mah smoke his candy ***.....and all of a sudden..he's like 3 car lengths ahead of me.....i'm like..whoa!...he must have some crazy $hit on his civic...next light....i get smoked again.......somethings up......next light.....i ask him whats he got.....guy brags bout having a type-r engine, intake, 225 Hp..the whole nine.....****....then we pull over, and he pops the hood....wow..some heavy duty $h1t he had in his engine bay....no wonder he smoked my 2k.....has anyone here raced a type r civic/integra?? man...major disappointment guys...

Old 09-01-2000, 06:31 PM

Yeap all the time

Kids here in NYC swap engine like if it was changing the oil. And lots use NOS like if it was nothing. I drive fast, but most kids just fly by me like was standing still. Is a nice reminder, Maximas are NOT sports cars, just sporty sedans. And I love them.
Old 09-01-2000, 06:36 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

A Honda Civic is not a sports car either...

Anything can be made to go fast with the right power to weight ratio. It sounds like the kid had Prelude engine swap (lower 14s, handles like crap though). My buddies got a 2000lb 89 Civic hatch with a B16A swap, header, full exhaust, no cat, and intake. I kill him to 40mph, but from a roll we are pretty even. I can still nudge him out though. He runs lower 15s@92mph.

Dave
Old 09-01-2000, 06:41 PM

You're right

civics is not a sport car either.
Old 09-01-2000, 08:46 PM

Its still just a Civic...........

I had some stupid looking CRX run a 13.60 on the run that I got my best 14.36, its a strange feeling to see a little POS pulling away from you. Dont know what he had in it, Im sure it was on the bottle. But its still just a Civic, no matter how fast they make them go.

Later,

(Im bored, the other boards are slow and I thought Id peek in on you guys.....Im done with the GTP vs. Maxima stuff though)
Old 09-01-2000, 08:59 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

ok well..

can you sit comfortable on the civic?
can you fit 4-5 people in decent comfort in a civic?
is the ride even bearable after an hr ride in a civic?
how LOUD is the civic that passed by?

ok the max is not the fastest thing on 4 wheels but when i have to pick up a client or something business related i rather be in a max than a buzzing civic.

the only difference is that hondas..(civics and integras in particular) have huge amount of aftermarket support. if the max got the same support we'll be rolling in turbo max, relable S/C max and other go fast goodies. most of the max stuff is custom made..the honda stuff is off the shelf and since there's so many of them people know more about them.

Dan
Old 09-01-2000, 09:09 PM

Re: Its still just a Civic...........

Originally posted by GTPguy97
I ... But its still just a Civic, no matter how fast they make them go.

You sound like Pontiac is all that.
Old 09-01-2000, 09:47 PM
Keven97SE

Woodear, if you were a superhero, you'd be

"The Instigator"

Old 09-02-2000, 02:26 PM
hodgeee

It is amazing that some guys will spend that much money on their car!

I have actually gone insane and have spent $7000 and up on my Maxima. It is the nicest car that I have ever had, for reliability, ride, quite interior, gas milage. I know for these motor swaps that they can spend easily $6000 for the swap. But a lot of these young kids have decent jobs, live at home, and have nothing to spend their money on. They don't have credit cards to buy a hot sports car, plus what insurance company would insure a teenager or young 21 year old with a couple of tickets from racing. So instead they dump a **** load of money on a little civic, due to cheap maintenance, good gas mileage, low cost insurance.

I have always wanted a sports car that was a 4 door sedan, for trunk space, passenger space, head room, quite interior, nice ride, decent looks. I found that the car that I wanted though all ran in the mid $40,000 to $50,000 dollar range. I can't even get my bank to finance me that much, even though I make $60,000 a year with little bills. I instead then bought this Maxima, liked it so much as it was, and saw what could be done so, by spending 11 to 12,000 dollars in upgrades, I can have a car that my bank will finance, and offer the performance and the pleasantries of those $50,000 dollar cars.

Old 09-02-2000, 02:42 PM

Re: Re: Its still just a Civic...........

Originally posted by WoodEar
[I

[/I]
You sound like Pontiac is all that. [/I][/QUOTE]

I wont be suckered into it......I WONT, I WONT, I WONT!!!!!
Nice try though.......

Later,
Old 09-03-2000, 04:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Its still just a Civic...........

I wont be suckered into it......I WONT, I WONT, I WONT!!!!! Nice try though.......
You know, I LOVE Maximas, but sometimes I don't want to get one just because I know that complete and total jacka$$es like WoodEar have owned them. I'm sorry you've got to deal with this idiot, GTPguy. Props for not snapping like I just have. :P
Old 09-03-2000, 08:23 PM
The missing moderator

This is funny...

First, Dave B you sure your friend's car is running correct? B16A1 even in my "heavy" CRX, at 2200lbs, will put it in the high 14's, at the very minimum. If he's only running low 15's I think there may be something wrong.

Two... I have to address this "why could anyone spend that much money" issue. I bought my 1991 CRX Si with 56,000 original miles on the car, for $2500, a great deal. My B16 swap cost me a total of $2500 to put in. that' the price that includes everything. For $2500 I took a car from 16 seconds to mid 14's. The supercharger on the maxima cost $3000. And with that, it runs the same speed. Anyways, my point it, it's "not that much".

Comfortable? I think my CRX is very comfortable. If you think a Caddy like ride is comfortable, then the maxima is the right for you. Loud? Not loud AT ALL. You should hear my exhuast... the intake is louder then the exhaust.

You know it's funny, you guys make statements like "it's sitll a civic"... well hell, a 14 second maxima is still a family sedan. So what the hell is the difference?

A lot of you guys will make a statement like that, but have you ever driven a CRX? even a stock one? This is how fun the crx is to drive, the FIRST and I mean first statement that anyone who's ever driven my car makes is "I need one of this" or "I want one of this". Hell, I have a friend that went out and bought one two weeks after driving my car. Yes, there are a lot of rice boys out there and they are all show and no go. But those broad generalizations are just silly. I mean, alot of you guys car only about 1/4 times... so what the hell does it matter what car ran that time? 13 second time slip is respectable no matter what car ran it. Just b/c a civic ran it, does it make it no valid? That's just lame...

-Shing
Old 09-03-2000, 08:31 PM

Hell yeah Shing. 92 SE=$7k, turbo VE=$3.5k, Look on the guy in the $50k cars face=priceless. Building a hybrid Honda(like Shings) is the basis of hot rodding. Taking a cheap car thats easy to mod, put a little money in it, and blow more expensive cars away. Some of us just do it on different levels(Civic's, Maxima's, Mustangs, etc). Even a mid 14 second time slip is very good for a street car. Considering that probably 90% of cars can't or will never do a 15 sec 1/4, or even be pushed to the limit.
Old 09-03-2000, 11:06 PM

Get a GS400

If you want a fast/luxurious/4 door then get a Lexus GS400 - it'll beat just about anything on 4 wheels with 4 doors..
Old 09-03-2000, 11:21 PM
OG :)

good point. most driver push their firebirds like minivans on the street. i also noticed this

Originally posted by Maximamike
Considering that probably 90% of cars can't or will never do a 15 sec 1/4, or even be pushed to the limit.
Old 09-03-2000, 11:21 PM
OG :)

Re: Get a GS400

over an mbz E55 Sheit

Originally posted by jnmunsey
If you want a fast/luxurious/4 door then get a Lexus GS400 - it'll beat just about anything on 4 wheels with 4 doors..
Old 09-04-2000, 03:48 PM

I am not a honda believer

but man...that crx is sweet
I saw Shing's, that CRX is just right
if I have enough money, I would probably buy one and have it as a multipurpose toy.
Also thinking about the old supra turbo (before the latest one)...
dunno what else that really interest me....

I don't know much about cars...but if I have to destroy one
from disassembling it or fiddling too much with it...I want it to be cheap
but at the same time I want it to be modable....
there are some options to do this with..
I just prefer japanese cars...thus the choice above

if i just care about the fastest and best performance car...I should just buy one that is already fast and great and have people do the work for me.

but many times that is not the case with us. We want to do it ourselves and learn from it. That is why we work on 'cheap cars'.
well..there are people that buy cheap cars and have other mod it for them...but I am not talking about the later...I am thinking about the 'do it yourself' approach.

can't dis a car because its a certain car.....
if everyone can have his/her way....we all be running ferraris and stuff as a grocery getter.....

peace.
^_^