General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I really hate putting Y pipes on!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 02:43 PM

I really hate putting Y pipes on!

I'm trying to put my OEM Y pipe back in place, but that damn thing just wont fit at the cat. Its off by only a few mm, but the bolt just isnt going through. Grr. I've been swearing for probably the past 2 hours. This is really getting old putting Y pipes on. I say this is probably the 6th or so time I had to remove/put a y pipe on my car. Grrr.
Old 03-28-2002, 02:47 PM

I about to do mine this weekend and I hope I don't get stuck in the same spot. Question for ya though : Can I use a regular hydrolic jack and stands from the front to be able to do take it off/putt the new one on?

Good luck bro..
Old 03-28-2002, 04:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: I really hate putting Y pipes on!

Originally posted by ericdwong
I'm trying to put my OEM Y pipe back in place, but that damn thing just wont fit at the cat. Its off by only a few mm, but the bolt just isnt going through. Grr. I've been swearing for probably the past 2 hours. This is really getting old putting Y pipes on. I say this is probably the 6th or so time I had to remove/put a y pipe on my car. Grrr.
Can you loosen the other bolts a bit to get some left and right play in the pipe?
Old 03-28-2002, 07:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Eric,
Did you ever hear back from Cattman Perfomance about your y-pipe?
Just curious.....
Old 03-29-2002, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by MAXINXS
Eric,
Did you ever hear back from Cattman Perfomance about your y-pipe?
Just curious.....
Yes, he tells me that he is in the works of researching and negotiating for a new flex section. This whole process will most likely take a few weeks. Geeze, at this point, I'm thinkin about buying a new Y pipe, and then when this one gets fixed, selling it. This Y pipe (and car) has given me so much pain.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:41 AM

Re: I really hate putting Y pipes on!

Someone posted on that "Worst job" thread about changing the bulbs in the foglamps. Man, I was sweating starting up that job. Got lucky, I guess. No big hangups. Y-pipes are a b*tch, and no way around it. Helps to have extra hands around ...
Old 03-29-2002, 02:05 AM

Heh, yeah. The clearance lights threw me a little more than the fogs, but they were both more difficult than I anticipated. I started the project in the late afternoon and by the end I was laying on gravel with a flashlight in my mouth trying to finish so I could drive my car out for the evening! Whelp, my next mod is the y-pipe. Maybe I'll get someone else to do it for me
Old 03-29-2002, 11:16 AM

Y pipes are simple guys, don't mod your car thinking you won't have to do any fab work. Its a given when choosing to do this stuff. I put my cattman pipe on in 20 minutes, thats including removing the old budget one. I did have to coax it a little though.
Old 03-29-2002, 02:29 PM

y-pipe

Originally posted by Tubbed'65
Y pipes are simple guys, don't mod your car thinking you won't have to do any fab work. Its a given when choosing to do this stuff. I put my cattman pipe on in 20 minutes, thats including removing the old budget one. I did have to coax it a little though.
My Cattman y-pipe took longer. It hit the frame, so I had to grind part of the frame. The O2 sensor was in the wrong place, so THAT took more work. You can thank me if yours was in the right place, because I contacted Cattman and helped him fix that problem.
Old 03-29-2002, 05:55 PM

Re: y-pipe

Originally posted by OriginalMadMax

My Cattman y-pipe took longer. It hit the frame, so I had to grind part of the frame. The O2 sensor was in the wrong place, so THAT took more work. You can thank me if yours was in the right place, because I contacted Cattman and helped him fix that problem.
Thank you.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:48 PM

I got the thing on, it wasnt too bad actually. I just had to vent on my first post. It turns out that my cat bracket is kinda bent, so that made things a bit more difficult to put on.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong
I got the thing on, it wasnt too bad actually. I just had to vent on my first post. It turns out that my cat bracket is kinda bent, so that made things a bit more difficult to put on.
Working on cars generally isn't hard, it's just stupid, brutish work. Then again, my sister's ex, a genuine top-level rocket scientist, wouldn't buy a Jaguar V-12 because that was too much effort to keep tuned, even for him.