General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Mechanic Training/School

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 02:52 PM

Mechanic Training/School

I really want to become a mechanic for a few years and would like to go to a school or training to get a certification... But I don't have alot of money.

What would the smart choice be?
Old 03-28-2002, 02:58 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Mechanic Training/School

try and get a job at a local shop as an "apprentice"(ie-Pepboys, repair shop, etc.), I know Merchants Auto they usually hires people with only general car knowledge and they start you on menial tasks, but you work your way up. and this way you can make money, gain experience and save up to goto a trade/mech. school.

Originally posted by melteye
I really want to become a mechanic for a few years and would like to go to a school or training to get a certification... But I don't have alot of money.

Old 03-28-2002, 02:58 PM
I'm needing a caw

Attend a ASE certification school and try to be the top 5-10% of your class. From what I hear, the top graduates get to attend further training for BMW, Mercedes and Lexus(I think) that that maker's facility.

As far as cost, I don't think you want to cheap out here. In my area ASE certified mechanics are in demand so I suggest you take out some loans, go to a good school and then pay off the loans later.

Just for the hell of it, I took a sample test for the ASE school at our yearly manufactuer's car show. The mechanic and suspension questions were easy. Transmission and electronic sections were harder.
Old 03-28-2002, 03:00 PM

If I work full time while going to school I can get $800/month or so.

Where in Southern California is good?
Old 03-28-2002, 03:11 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Just for the hell of it, I took a sample test for the ASE school at our yearly manufactuer's car show. The mechanic and suspension questions were easy. Transmission and electronic sections were harder.
An example:

A customer submits a 1992 Nissan Maxima SE model with a 3.0L V-6 engine. They complain of a constant LOUD and irritating ticking noise, and state their brother's sister's grandmother's aunt's uncle's son's daughter's husband's 1992 Maxima GXE with a 3.0L V-6 makes no such noise.

A) Tell the customer the Maxima is God's chariot and it is impossible for it to have a problem. Give customer a stern look and then say "Are you SURE it is ticking and there is not a timing device in the vehicle?"

B) Call 1-800-NISSAN1 for clarification on potential lawsuits from even accepting a vehicle with this issue.

C) Rebuild the variable camshaft sprockets (VTCs) without replacing the valve guide stem seals so that the customer must return to have an oil leak repaired by the time your next boat payment is due.

D) Login to forums.maxima.org, create a very short and vague post explaining only that the vehicle is making a ticking sound, and then be spiteful and argumentative with those who tell you to use the search function and figure out the problem your damn self.

E) Take action in D) and then flame member Jeff92SE for being an old and bitter member disinterested in helping anyone on anything, being sure to misspell every other word and fail to provide a subject, verb, and object in each sentence while typing in caps.

Now THAT'S a toughie.
Old 03-28-2002, 03:14 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

D. All the above

Originally posted by bill99gxe

An example:

A customer submits a 1992 Nissan Maxima SE model with a 3.0L V-6 engine. They complain of a constant LOUD and irritating ticking noise, and state their brother's sister's grandmother's aunt's uncle's son's daughter's husband's 1992 Maxima GXE with a 3.0L V-6 makes no such noise.

A) Tell the customer the Maxima is God's chariot and it is impossible for it to have a problem. Give customer a stern look and then say "Are you SURE it is ticking and there is not a timing device in the vehicle?"

B) Call 1-800-NISSAN1 for clarification on potential lawsuits from even accepting a vehicle with this issue.

C) Rebuild the variable camshaft sprockets (VTCs) without replacing the valve guide stem seals so that the customer must return to have an oil leak repaired by the time your next boat payment is due.

D) Login to forums.maxima.org, create a very short and vague post explaining only that the vehicle is making a ticking sound, and then be spiteful and argumentative with those who tell you to use the search function and figure out the problem your damn self.

E) Take action in D) and then flame member Jeff92SE for being an old and bitter member disinterested in helping anyone on anything, being sure to misspell every other word and fail to provide a subject, verb, and object in each sentence while typing in caps.

Now THAT'S a toughie.
Old 03-28-2002, 03:15 PM
I'm needing a caw

lol!

F) all of the above!
Old 03-28-2002, 03:17 PM
I'm needing a caw

Bill goes a DAMN long way for a joke.
Old 03-28-2002, 04:21 PM

but its funny
Old 03-28-2002, 05:09 PM

Re: Mechanic Training/School

Originally posted by melteye

Just a thought, but could you make more $$ as a diesel mechanic working on tractors and buses?

Anyway, IMHO it's great to become expert at something technical, but in the long run management is where the real $ is. You gotta boss people around, if you do you advance exponentially. I have a friend at work who has a CCNP. He has 3 CCIE working for him, and they spend alot of time backstabbing him saying he doesn't know how to do this, that, etc. But who makes the coyne? He doesn't have to know how to do everything, he worries about budgets and personnel.

Anyway, good luck, but reach for the sky. The economy is supposed to get better by 3rd quarter. I know I'm about to vest in my 401k after 3 years so after that I'm a free agent!
Old 03-28-2002, 06:27 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Re: Re: Mechanic Training/School

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine Just a thought, but could you make more $$ as a diesel mechanic working on tractors and ---->buses<----. Anyway, IMHO it's great to become expert at something technical, but in the long run ---->management<---- is where the real $ is.
Speaking from personal experience, I've been a city transit coach/buss mechanic for several years. On April 1st I'll be working inside the office as a maintenance supv. instead on the floor as a mechanic. I'll miss the actual fixing and diagnosing problems, but I went as far as I could as a mechanic and the money definately in management. Of course all this is with the particular establishment I am with, others will vary. Good luck.