General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Final thoughts on Maxima vs. Mustang vs. Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by akrus

That was me that said there was no 98-99 Bullitt. If you go back to page three of this thread, about half way down you will notice a post of mine in which there is some red coloured text. Point one from that post:

When Jamie replied to my post, he accidently inserted his reply into the quoted section.

As far as the video goes, that was JAMIECBR900 (with whom I debated throughout this thread). I've never raced a Bullitt. I owned the 94 Z28 in 1995/96 and now own a 2k2 6spd Max. I've never even seen the video, so I'm not sure where it is. Maybe Jamie is still around and can tell us?

Albert [/B]
I'm still around...just thought this thread had been locked long ago. The video for 2001stang is somewhere around. Last time I saw it was on vqpower.com. If you don't believe me, that's cool and all, but go ask around the SE forum. Those guys not only video taped the run, also saw it first hand. I have no reason to lie, specially about beating a 14 sec car. Ask around and see if I'm truthful or not. The video was from this past spring, when I was running a 70 shot dry. It ran 14 something, I ran 14 something, just faster and quicker. Actually, they cut a very low .5 something light.

Anyway, look around, the video is around. Ask around the SE forum, most those guys have gone to the track with me at one time or another, they can tell you what happened and what didn't.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:27 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

one of the 82 org moderators:

The Maxima has the power to seduce women about as well as a drunk octopus.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Funny how you say its just a 14 second car yet you had to use nitrous to beat it, and you never mentioned spraying before either. Its a low 14 sec car even in the hands of a average driver. Even mags list it at a 14.1. I went to that site, I think i found it, and tryed to down the video it wont down though. If you beat a gray mustang then it wasnt a bullitt you beat a fake bullitt, hell could have been a V6 for all i know. Bullitt's were only sold in blue black and a dark green.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by 2001STANG
Funny how you say its just a 14 second car yet you had to use nitrous to beat it, and you never mentioned spraying before either. Its a low 14 sec car even in the hands of a average driver. Even mags list it at a 14.1. I went to that site, I think i found it, and tryed to down the video it wont down though. If you beat a gray mustang then it wasnt a bullitt you beat a fake bullitt, hell could have been a V6 for all i know. Bullitt's were only sold in blue black and a dark green.
You need to read this thread from the beg. and then come and comment. You can beat on your chest all you want, but the bullit and GT stangs are not all that. Look at the HP/weight, look at the HP/liter rating, look at the 20 yr old facade....give me a break. As I said in the beginning and remind you now, I don't take anything from muscle cars, but they aren't always as fast as their owners think they are.

What I find funny is that a 3.0 V-6 stomped your so high and mighty V-8, even with juice. As I said before, bring a crusty V-6 stang and I'll take them w/o anything. I'm not going to sit here and argue back and forth about the same thing I said months ago...read the thread and then come back.

Quoting magazine numbers, as you can see from the discussion in the last few pages of this, is totally absurd. Bring your car down to the track and let's see how fast IT is.

Drag racing is about one really basic thing: Run what you brought, and hope you brought enough!!!! Don't hate, congratulate.

You're right, we should all bow down to 260hp V-8's....Our 3.5l V-6's put out that n/a and we weigh less too. The only mustang I have to worry about are the mach1 and cobra's. It's funny how you don't even know me, but want to talk smack. Instead of smack talking, you should go out and spend your time modding your car so you don't have to listen to guys like me talk about having a faster car than you.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:34 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

You need to read this thread from the beg. and then come and comment. You can beat on your chest all you want, but the bullit and GT stangs are not all that. Look at the HP/weight, look at the HP/liter rating, look at the 20 yr old facade....give me a break. As I said in the beginning and remind you now, I don't take anything from muscle cars, but they aren't always as fast as their owners think they are.

What I find funny is that a 3.0 V-6 stomped your so high and mighty V-8, even with juice. As I said before, bring a crusty V-6 stang and I'll take them w/o anything. I'm not going to sit here and argue back and forth about the same thing I said months ago...read the thread and then come back.

Quoting magazine numbers, as you can see from the discussion in the last few pages of this, is totally absurd. Bring your car down to the track and let's see how fast IT is.

Drag racing is about one really basic thing: Run what you brought, and hope you brought enough!!!! Don't hate, congratulate.

You're right, we should all bow down to 260hp V-8's....Our 3.5l V-6's put out that n/a and we weigh less too. The only mustang I have to worry about are the mach1 and cobra's. It's funny how you don't even know me, but want to talk smack. Instead of smack talking, you should go out and spend your time modding your car so you don't have to listen to guys like me talk about having a faster car than you.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by nismo2020

Old 12-09-2002, 07:42 AM

One more quick point....what's the performance difference between a GT and a Bullit???? I'm pretty sure the differences are merely cosmetic and not power related....correct me if I'm wrong.

If I'm not wrong, it doesn't much matter what color/model GT/Bullit it was since it pretty much means the same thing performance wise, huh???

Read the thread and you'll see I was attempting to make sure people gave respect where it is due.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:54 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

One more quick point....what's the performance difference between a GT and a Bullit???? I'm pretty sure the differences are merely cosmetic and not power related....correct me if I'm wrong.
I was searching through a bunch of stock dynos at Corral.net and the Bullit dynos were not showing any more or less power than a typical GT dyno. There was no measurable difference in power between a standard GT and a Bullitt. The power may be there, but it's "down in the noise" so to speak.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SteVTEC
I was searching through a bunch of stock dynos at Corral.net and the Bullit dynos were not showing any more or less power than a typical GT dyno. There was no measurable difference in power between a standard GT and a Bullitt. The power may be there, but it's "down in the noise" so to speak.
The Bullitt was nothing more than an appearance package. I've compared the option as listed on Ford's website when the car was available (I'm not sure whether it's still available).

Larger displacement motors typically produce torque much easier and earlier than lower displacement motors. The feeling of torque coming on early goes a long way to making a car feel effortless to drive as well as feeling faster than other cars with comparable peak numbers.

An S2000 has to work far harder to get a good time than a Viper. A monkey can post good numbers in the Viper, but it takes a skilled driver with the desire to destroy the mechanical bits of the S2000 to get a good time in it.

If the Maxima came with the 4.5L motor, I would no doubt have taken that motor over the 3.5L. All things being equal, bigger is better when it comes to motors for raw power, in my opinion. If handling is the goal, then a balance among power, braking, weight, etc must be achieved in order to obtain the goal.

Albert
Old 12-09-2002, 08:26 AM

The Bullitt was nothing more than an appearance package. I've compared the option as listed on Ford's website when the car was available (I'm not sure whether it's still available).

Larger displacement motors typically produce torque much easier and earlier than lower displacement motors. The feeling of torque coming on early goes a long way to making a car feel effortless to drive as well as feeling faster than other cars with comparable peak numbers.

An S2000 has to work far harder to get a good time than a Viper. A monkey can post good numbers in the Viper, but it takes a skilled driver with the desire to destroy the mechanical bits of the S2000 to get a good time in it.

If the Maxima came with the 4.5L motor, I would no doubt have taken that motor over the 3.5L. All things being equal, bigger is better when it comes to motors for raw power, in my opinion. If handling is the goal, then a balance among power, braking, weight, etc must be achieved in order to obtain the goal.

Albert
We have discussed this same issue before. Larger isn't always better, it's only larger most of the time. Why is it that highly modified 4 cyl's are running just as fast/quick as V-8's??? Power to weight ratios is the only reason, but a very big one.

A muscle car has a disadvantage when it comes to that. When it, or any other car for that matter, solves that riddle of loosing weight and gaining power....they succeed in being fast. We are talking about productions street cars here though, where the contenders are normal everyday cars. In that arena, the porky and underpowered V-8's will consistently loose to the leaner and comparatively moderately powered smaller displacement.

I don't know how you can beat on your chest about a design that NEEDS 8 cylinders to put out what most import V-6's do, all the while giving you better gas milage, dependability, and longer life span.????. No disrespect meant, but that's been my point in a nutshell all along.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:33 AM

We have discussed this same issue before. Larger isn't always better, it's only larger most of the time. Why is it that highly modified 4 cyl's are running just as fast/quick as V-8's??? Power to weight ratios is the only reason, but a very big one.

A muscle car has a disadvantage when it comes to that. When it, or any other car for that matter, solves that riddle of loosing weight and gaining power....they succeed in being fast. We are talking about productions street cars here though, where the contenders are normal everyday cars. In that arena, the porky and underpowered V-8's will consistently loose to the leaner and comparatively moderately powered smaller displacement.

I don't know how you can beat on your chest about a design that NEEDS 8 cylinders to put out what most import V-6's do, all the while giving you better gas milage, dependability, and longer life span.????. No disrespect meant, but that's been my point in a nutshell all along.
You didn't read what I posted

All things being equal, bigger is better when it comes to motors for raw power, in my opinion

Albert
Old 12-09-2002, 08:38 AM

You didn't read what I posted

Albert [/B]
I did read your post, and responded directly to your quote that all things held equal, bigger is better.

I gave you examples how bigger is not always better.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What year Maxima do you have if its a 95 lets be real thats a 15 sec car stock so explain to me how a 15 sec car beats a 14 sec car. So you will need juice to keep up.You cant hang without it. With nitrous I could beat alot of things stock Ls1's so on but you wouldnt see me talking smack about a car I had to spray to beat when the other car was stock. By the way why do you think a 4 door sedan is so light? Whos to say im not modded?
Old 12-09-2002, 08:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by akrus
[B]

Not just cosmetic its it has a intake exhaust cobra brakes painted red diff suspension set up with tokico shocks and struts.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:47 AM

I did read your post, and responded directly to your quote that all things held equal, bigger is better.

I gave you examples how bigger is not always better.
Misunderstood then. However I also pointed out:

If handling is the goal, then a balance among power, braking, weight, etc must be achieved in order to obtain the goal.

So we are both saying the same thing then. My apologies as I thought you didn't understand that part.

Your comment:

that NEEDS 8 cylinders to put out what most import V-6's do, all the while giving you better gas milage, dependability, and longer life span

I disagree with these comments. My Camaro gave me better fuel mileage (would rev ~1400rpm @ 75 mph), it was easily as reliable and there's plenty of them out there with high miles.

Albert
Old 12-09-2002, 09:00 AM

What year Maxima do you have if its a 95 lets be real thats a 15 sec car stock so explain to me how a 15 sec car beats a 14 sec car. So you will need juice to keep up.You cant hang without it. With nitrous I could beat alot of things stock Ls1's so on but you wouldnt see me talking smack about a car I had to spray to beat when the other car was stock. By the way why do you think a 4 door sedan is so light? Whos to say im not modded?
It is a 95. You were the one that doubted I could outrun a Mustang. I was just stating the fact. You want to split hairs about how I was more modded than he was, blah blah blah...he should of stayed home then...

You wanna compare apples to apples? Go look at the specs for a 95 V-6 stang.....then come talk to me. You wanna compare more? Take the specs of a 5th gen max n/a vs the specs of a GT/Bullit n/a. Which one is more impressive???? A v-8 that "pumps" out 260hp or a v-6 that does the same amount while being substantially smaller, gives you better gas milage, and will last twice as long. I suppose you're still going to say you'd rather have your design, huh? Well then consider this tidbit, Why does it take a S/C for you to make the same amount of HP that a Corvette can N/A???? Efficiency in design. That's what I've been saying since the beg. Regular, off-the shelf, mustangs and camaro's are not super cars like some people think. When you polish them up as in Cobra R or Camaro SS, then you're talking.

BTW, if you want to talk mods, consider this (which I've also said a million times), If we had a catalog with over 1000 pages of aftermarket go-fast goodies....I'd be fast too.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:07 AM

Misunderstood then. However I also pointed out:

So we are both saying the same thing then. My apologies as I thought you didn't understand that part.

Your comment:

[/b]

I disagree with these comments. My Camaro gave me better fuel mileage (would rev ~1400rpm @ 75 mph), it was easily as reliable and there's plenty of them out there with high miles.

Albert [/B]
I give you that some have lasted and will last, but you know as well as I do that import engines have the distinct reputation to last longer and rightly so usually. I have personally not seen a domestic with 200k+ that runs like an import with 200k+. They may be outhere, but are few and far between.

I want you to know that I am not taking anything from either car, just making observations and comments regarding efficiency, durability, and driveability.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:07 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

DYNO COMPARISON - 02 Maxima 6MT vs 02 Mustang GT 5MT

As per the dyno comparison of the two cars, a Mustang will obviously beat a Maxima from a dead stop with RWD and the extra torque. But from a roll, the dynos prove that a Maxima could pull on a Mustang GT.

Raw Power only...

Power-to-Weight...

The Maxima is lighter, is more aerodynamic, and has more aggressive gearing, so a Maxima very well could pull on a GT from a higher speed roll.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
DYNO COMPARISON - 02 Maxima 6MT vs 02 Mustang GT 5MT

As per the dyno comparison of the two cars, a Mustang will obviously beat a Maxima from a dead stop with RWD and the extra torque. But from a roll, the dynos prove that a Maxima could pull on a Mustang GT.

The Maxima is lighter, is more aerodynamic, and has more aggressive gearing, so a Maxima very well could pull on a GT from a higher speed roll.
My point exactly, except you used pictures....

Seriously, that is my point.

BTW, doubters should also notice that the results were achieved n/a and from a smaller engine vs bigger comparo. HUMMMM???? I wonder how that could be since bigger is ALWAYS better??????
Old 12-09-2002, 09:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It is a 95. You were the one that doubted I could outrun a Mustang. I was just stating the fact. You want to split hairs about how I was more modded than he was, blah blah blah...he should of stayed home then...

You wanna compare apples to apples? Go look at the specs for a 95 V-6 stang.....then come talk to me. You wanna compare more? Take the specs of a 5th gen max n/a vs the specs of a GT/Bullit n/a. Which one is more impressive???? A v-8 that "pumps" out 260hp or a v-6 that does the same amount while being substantially smaller, gives you better gas milage, and will last twice as long. I suppose you're still going to say you'd rather have your design, huh? Well then consider this tidbit, Why does it take a S/C for you to make the same amount of HP that a Corvette can N/A???? Efficiency in design. That's what I've been saying since the beg. Regular, off-the shelf, mustangs and camaro's are not super cars like some people think. When you polish them up as in Cobra R or Camaro SS, then you're talking.

BTW, if you want to talk mods, consider this (which I've also said a million times), If we had a catalog with over 1000 pages of aftermarket go-fast goodies....I'd be fast too.
Well go complain to Nissan about that, I never said i doubt you can outrun a mustang but at 1st you make it look like your totally unmodded then come back and say oh yeah i was running a 75 shot thats a big difference. Why are you so fixated at peak hp do you really think because car A has the same or a lil more peak hp that it will beat car B. What about power throughout the whole RPM band and what about torque, and gearing. The mustang is a car that comes from the factory detuned thats why the aftermarket is so huge. Everyone doesnt care to have a 300+ hp car. So the options there if you want. The Nissan engines come tuned much better there thats why they have more hp out of less displacement. Part of the reason the Ls1 engines are faster is displacement. Thats why you need a blower 4.6 281 engine vs a 5.7 guess which ones faster still no replacement for displacement. But if i line the LS1 up against a old school mustang 427 motor its gonna get killed. And regular camaros and mustangs arent supercars I never said that but you cant keep up with a 99+ gt without mods thats all my point is. Let me tell you a Ls1 camarro is damn near a supercar right out the box, ss or z28 a LS1 camaro will hand you your *** with the nitrous shot unless its a 150 or so shot.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:39 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The ignorance in this thread

The Bullit Mustang has a completely different intake manifold than the GT. While the Bullit only makes a mere 5hp more than the GT (265hp vs 260hp) it makes quite a bit more power below the curve. On average, the Bullit is ~.2 quicker in 1/4. The Bullit comes with a lowered and upgraded suspension, upgraded brakes, stock anthracite 17s, different rear C-pillar, no spoiler, no foglights, different mufflers, and subframe connectors.

Not ALL 99+ GTs run low 14s stock. It depends on the track. Ive never seen a "stock" 99+ GT come close to a 14.0 KCIR. The best I've seen is a 14.3 on drag radials. My last time out at the track I was running just as quick as the stock and mostly stock 99+ GTs (14.6-14.7s@96mph+).

Dave
Old 12-09-2002, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
The ignorance in this thread

The Bullit Mustang has a completely different intake manifold than the GT. While the Bullit only makes a mere 5hp more than the GT (265hp vs 260hp) it makes quite a bit more power below the curve. On average, the Bullit is ~.2 quicker in 1/4. The Bullit comes with a lowered and upgraded suspension, upgraded brakes, stock anthracite 17s, different rear C-pillar, no spoiler, no foglights, different mufflers, and subframe connectors.

Not ALL 99+ GTs run low 14s stock. It depends on the track. Ive never seen a "stock" 99+ GT come close to a 14.0 KCIR. The best I've seen is a 14.3 on drag radials. My last time out at the track I was running just as quick as the stock and mostly stock 99+ GTs (14.6-14.7s@96mph+).

Dave
My point exactly. The majority of the differences between the two are cosmetic. Brakes and suspension do nothing for straightline performance. I would also like Mr. 2001stang to notice the difference between the mag numbers and real-life numbers. GT's and Bullits don't come close to 14.1 stock. They are mid to high 14's at best. Which as I said before is nothing to brag about since those are V-8 numbers, which are just as "good" as 5th gen max's numbers.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:56 AM

Well go complain to Nissan about that, I never said i doubt you can outrun a mustang but at 1st you make it look like your totally unmodded then come back and say oh yeah i was running a 75 shot thats a big difference.

Let me tell you a Ls1 camarro is damn near a supercar right out the box, ss or z28 a LS1 camaro will hand you your *** with the nitrous shot unless its a 150 or so shot.
First off, I never said anything about me being stock...You just ASSUMED it. That's your problem.

Second, I have beaten an SS before and I wasn't running 150 shot. I don't know what fantasy place you live in, but here in GA at the the track, most stock SS's run in the high 13's. Notice I said stock. Before you go shooting off at the mouth, do what I told you and check around before you look foolish. I have ran a best of 13.3@108mph, so far and that was on street tires with a full interior. My car is not a slug. SS's, Cobras, LS1's, Vettes, etc are not slow either.

You really need to check around before you keep talking about numbers you read in your mags. BTW, how often do you go to the racetrack and race YOUR car????
Old 12-09-2002, 10:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

First off, I never said anything about me being stock...You just ASSUMED it. That's your problem.

Second, I have beaten an SS before and I wasn't running 150 shot. I don't know what fantasy place you live in, but here in GA at the the track, most stock SS's run in the high 13's. Notice I said stock. Before you go shooting off at the mouth, do what I told you and check around before you look foolish. I have ran a best of 13.3@108mph, so far and that was on street tires with a full interior. My car is not a slug. SS's, Cobras, LS1's, Vettes, etc are not slow either.

You really need to check around before you keep talking about numbers you read in your mags. BTW, how often do you go to the racetrack and race YOUR car????
Heres what you said "the owner came over to me and asked me if I was sure I ONLY had a V-6 under the hood. After smiling from ear to ear, I gladly told him, YES SIR." You dont think thats misleading and making it sound like you were stock.