General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Your headlights will love this!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 10:40 PM

Your headlights will love this!

I swapped my headlight and foglamp bulbs tonight for Eurolite Super Plasmas ... definitely much whiter than stock, though I honestly wouldn't say I had better road vision. Plus, I need to aim those foglights higher to get any benefits from them now, especially with the brighter headlamps.

OK, cut to the chase ... After I got home, I looked at my headlight lenses and they looked cloudy, though I'd cleaned them recently. That can't be good, so I dug around and found my Meguiar's #17 Clear Plastic Cleaner and #10 Clear Plastic Polish. I figured it couldn't hurt ... and 2 minutes later I was in awe, comparing one lense after being cleaned with the #17 to the other one. Night and day - the cleaned lense looked new! Up close I could still see the deeper pits, but the muddy surface scratches were gone! I then went to the #10 polish and the lense looks so clear! It's been awhile since I did this; it should be at least a once-a-year thing, and it only took a couple of minutes.

Funny bit, as I was driving home after testing my lights, a black Maxima pulled up next to me at a stop. We both have bright white headlamps and fogs, and yellowish looking side markers and corner lights, with the corner bulbs reversed for brightness! I couldn't believe seeing the same combination my first drive with the new bulbs! Now I want to get the small lights to match. And figure out how to raise the foglamp angle so I don't just illuminate under my bumper ...
Old 03-28-2002, 11:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Eurolites

I had Super Plasma's for about 4 months. Not Eurolites, but some no-name brand. They were great. I could see much better and everything. I had the stock fogs, clearance lights, etc in. Well, one night I decided to drive fast up a steep hill on the freeway, I was more or less hitting redline for more than 30 seconds. The extra juice at 6500rpm put out by the alternator cause the left bulb low-beam filament to die. This is a big problem, especially with the super plasma's, they are VERY sensitive to the voltage swings produced by the alternator. The regular "fusion" ones are sensative too, but not quite as bad I think. Anyway, I too now have a full set of Eurolite's, all "Fusion" tho. Headlights, fogs, clearance, and side-markers. I have the clearance lights on a switch that allows me to make them brighter or that dim wattage (typically just leave them bright), and it looks great. So far, I am very pleased with these Eurolights, and I am getting high-beamed far less than when I had the Super Plasma's.

- Jon
Old 03-29-2002, 12:01 AM

Re: Eurolites

I got the little 168's for the corners but didn't put them in yet. I'll wait until I can do them with the clearance lights so it won't look funny. It almost looks cool, having that blue-white for the headlights and foglamps, then the yellow outside framing it. I flipped the bulbs for the clearance lights, and they were brighter than the stock bulbs. With this setup, they aren't so bright looking anymore. Yes!