General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Big Break Review-Long

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2001, 04:39 PM
vapors smx

After visiting Stillen this weekend for them to address some issues with my kit, I have finally been able to complete the breaking in period and have begun to fully utilize them.

To start off I would like to say that the breaking force of stock calipers with matrix pads and stillen rotors was maybe 1/4 of the force of the Big Break Kit. Response in the kit is instant and can be felt whether you are breaking at 5 mph in a parking lot, or a 100 miles an hour as at stillen. There was absolutely no fade evident after doing 5+ 100 mph runs to 0 back to back. All in all the kit is outstanding and offers the best braking available for the money.

There are some downsides to the brake kit however. The first would be the added rotational mass of the rotors. They weigh 22 lbs each, roughly twice the stock rotor. This does detract somewhat from throttle feel, though we feel that the added safety is a must if you are doing any type of racing. High speed+failing brakes=BAD. The second downside to the brakes is that they may brake too well at times. Through testing we managed to lock up the tires several times rather effortlessly. Thus there are multiple flat spots that can be felt(new tires are here on Tuesday LOL).

In conclusion, this was probably one of the best over all mods I have gotten for the car. Not only may I be able to out accelerate most 4 door cars and even some two door ones on the road, but now I may be able to out break them too.

BTW, Chesbosto and Skimax can attest for this review. They have both test driven the car, and Skimax has locked them up a couple of times hehe.

Old 01-21-2001, 05:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Awesome! I'm glad you like the kit, that will prolly be a mod for me in the future also.
Old 01-21-2001, 05:32 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

2 words.

Me. Want.

Old 01-21-2001, 05:50 PM

6 words:

You let Cheston drive your car?

LOL!
Old 01-21-2001, 05:53 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Three words:

Hah.

Old 01-21-2001, 06:23 PM

Oh, brakes! You're talking about brakes. I thought something was broken when I saw "Big Break" in the title. Silly me.
Old 01-21-2001, 06:44 PM

I think you mean three letters??

Originally posted by Chebosto
Three words:

Hah.

Old 01-21-2001, 07:46 PM

Which AP kit did you get the One or Two piece kit. I spoke to my guy at Stillen and he said that they offer both, equal quality but one is cheaper, what's you input? Thanks
1995 GXE 1st place NOPI Nationals 2000
Old 01-21-2001, 08:06 PM
vapors smx

One piece 4 piston ap brake kit. couldnt see why I was to pay almost 500 dollars more for a 2 piece kit. Perhaps someone could explain to me the difference.

Old 01-21-2001, 08:12 PM

cool!!! I think I should get these after my project. I'm glad Stillen was proactive in this potentially dangerous design flaw.

BTW, did you see Steve this weekend? Was he still looking for me? You can give him my mobile number.

Glad it all worked out.

Don
Old 01-21-2001, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by vapors smx
One piece 4 piston ap brake kit. couldnt see why I was to pay almost 500 dollars more for a 2 piece kit. Perhaps someone could explain to me the difference.
If you find out what the difference is please let me know. I think that the only difference is the abilty to replace part of the rotor instead of the entire thing. Maybe its a little lighter? The weight is well worth the stopping power!! Enjoy the power:
Old 01-21-2001, 11:56 PM

After visiting Stillen this weekend for them to address some issues with my kit, I have finally been able to complete the breaking in period and have begun to fully utilize them.

To start off I would like to say that the breaking force of stock calipers with matrix pads and stillen rotors was maybe 1/4 of the force of the Big Break Kit. Response in the kit is instant and can be felt whether you are breaking at 5 mph in a parking lot, or a 100 miles an hour as at stillen. There was absolutely no fade evident after doing 5+ 100 mph runs to 0 back to back. All in all the kit is outstanding and offers the best braking available for the money.

There are some downsides to the brake kit however. The first would be the added rotational mass of the rotors. They weigh 22 lbs each, roughly twice the stock rotor. This does detract somewhat from throttle feel, though we feel that the added safety is a must if you are doing any type of racing. High speed+failing brakes=BAD. The second downside to the brakes is that they may brake too well at times. Through testing we managed to lock up the tires several times rather effortlessly. Thus there are multiple flat spots that can be felt(new tires are here on Tuesday LOL).

In conclusion, this was probably one of the best over all mods I have gotten for the car. Not only may I be able to out accelerate most 4 door cars and even some two door ones on the road, but now I may be able to out break them too.

BTW, Chesbosto and Skimax can attest for this review. They have both test driven the car, and Skimax has locked them up a couple of times hehe.
one word:
speechless.

Old 01-22-2001, 06:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey Vapors....

Would you mind doing a more detailed version of your writeup (i.e. pros, cons, feel, etc.) for Maxima.org's "Reading Room" section?
Old 01-22-2001, 01:46 PM

Vapors...

You let all those people drive your car? If I'm in your area sometime will you let me drive it?

PJ
Old 01-22-2001, 03:29 PM

Do you have ABS on your car? If not, would having ABS prevent flat-spotting the tires?

TIA
Old 03-28-2002, 10:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Lordrandall
Do you have ABS on your car? If not, would having ABS prevent flat-spotting the tires?

TIA
ABS would have prevented flat spotting the tires
Old 03-29-2002, 12:29 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

The two piece is lighter... the hat is made of aluminum. The stock rotor is 15lbs. My 12.2" UL Wilwood Rotors with hat weigh in at 11.5lbs.