General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

think i killed my starter messin wit fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 09:12 AM

think i killed my starter messin wit fuel filter

I was trying to change my fuel filter. So i removed the fuse and cranked it up . Engine started then died like 10 secs after. I tried to remove the hoses , too much pressure so i kept cranking the engine trying to start it and relieve some pressure. Engine kept making that choking noise . SO i tried to get it off again. IT WOULDNT BUDGE. So i just put the fuse back in and tried to start the car. It made a horrible sound and it wouldnt start, i had to turn the key and hold it to finally get it to start. I figured it was just temporary. This morning Im turning and turning and my engine didnt even start. I came back out later and tried it and only after 3 attempts and some horrible noise did it start. DO you guys think i destroyed my starter and need a new one?
Old 03-29-2002, 09:19 AM

I don't think so, the starter is not that delicate, unless you were having problems previous to this incident.

Are you sure your car is getting fuel? Assuming Japanese fuel injection is no different than Bosch then there is a rest pressure and once running a line pressure. When there is no rest pressure the car will not start right away, or you have those symptoms can't start cold, cant start hot, etc. Are you ok when the car is warm?

Good luck hopefully you don't have to spend $$$ on a starter, it's not cheap from what I hear.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:23 AM

The car is getting fuel because I drove around in it after I got it started. Its just it makes that horrible noise to start like if im choking it.Does that clamp thats around the top hose have to stay on? I took that off last night and didnt put it back on.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:33 AM

Uh oh ...

Originally posted by MrBlank
The car is getting fuel because I drove around in it after I got it started. Its just it makes that horrible noise to start like if im choking it.Does that clamp thats around the top hose have to stay on? I took that off last night and didnt put it back on.
So you didn't put the clamp back on. You could either a)somehow reduce fuel pressure by letting air leak in, or worse b)set your car on fire by letting the fuel get out in the engine compartment. Dude, that clamp is a safety feature! Anyway, I just changed my fuel filter last week. They are on their tight, just get both hands in there (a PITA) and pull the darn hose off! Your car will love a new filter.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:08 AM

Re: Uh oh ...

Originally posted by OriginalMadMax

So you didn't put the clamp back on. You could either a)somehow reduce fuel pressure by letting air leak in, or worse b)set your car on fire by letting the fuel get out in the engine compartment. Dude, that clamp is a safety feature! Anyway, I just changed my fuel filter last week. They are on their tight, just get both hands in there (a PITA) and pull the darn hose off! Your car will love a new filter.
What is a (PITA) ? The washer that the screw goes through on my clamp fell into my engine bay and I couldnt find it for anything.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:19 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Uh oh ...

What is a (PITA) ? The washer that the screw goes through on my clamp fell into my engine bay and I couldnt find it for anything.
(P)ain (I)n (T)he (A)ss.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: Uh oh ...

Originally posted by Colonel

(P)ain (I)n (T)he (A)ss.
Oh...Any ideas where I can get another clamp or anything else I can use for one?.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That fuel filter hose is one of the hardest to take off. The trick is that you have to twist and pull at the same time in order to break the pressure seal. A hose puller may help, too.

YOU NEED THE HOSE CLAMP. Go to any auto or hardware store and get one. They're less than 50 cents.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by CalsonicSE
That fuel filter hose is one of the hardest to take off. The trick is that you have to twist and pull at the same time in order to break the pressure seal. A hose puller may help, too.

YOU NEED THE HOSE CLAMP. Go to any auto or hardware store and get one. They're less than 50 cents.
Ok but its 3.59 a pack they dont sell them by one . Just went there with a dollar in my pocket and had to come back
Old 03-29-2002, 02:32 PM

hose clamp

Ok but its 3.59 a pack they dont sell them by one . Just went there with a dollar in my pocket and had to come back
Depends where you go. Hardware stores usually sell them individually, so do smaller car parts places.
Old 03-29-2002, 02:36 PM
I'm needing a caw

Note: the pressure in the lines has nothing to do with how hard/easy the filter is to remove. You "could" try warming up the hose at the connection w/ a hair dryer to get it to soften up a little(be careful). You also must pull/twist at the same time to "break the seal" between the filter barb and rubber hose. Good luck.