General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

CAI vs. Pop Charger vs. OSCAI: Intake Temperature Test Results

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 05:27 PM

Re: CAI + Y-Pipe

Originally posted by -MaxPayne-
Obviously it has been concluded that the CAI defenitley has it's highest gavins in the low end. Would a Y-Pipe teamed with the CAI produce greater overall numbers than a y and a pop? I belive IANSW or someone else who was running an MEVI dynoed with a CAI and then with a hybrid. He found that while running both the hybrid and the MEVI the car was running too rich. Wouldn't the prime solution for a n/a be MEVI, Y-Pipe, and CAI?

-Payne-
I know that Speedtrip did dyno his MEVI with a PR CAI. I don't think that the CAI can be considered a better intake until someone does both dyno/driving/vacuum and tempt testing all at the same elevation with similar air mass and temps. This hasn't been done for our CAI's or the pop charger.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: CAI + Y-Pipe

The richness was probably due to the ECU not being given enough time to learn the new intake. The intake was swithced while on the dyno, and the ECU was still used to the previous intake.

DW

Originally posted by -MaxPayne-
Obviously it has been concluded that the CAI defenitley has it's highest gavins in the low end. Would a Y-Pipe teamed with the CAI produce greater overall numbers than a y and a pop? I belive IANSW or someone else who was running an MEVI dynoed with a CAI and then with a hybrid. He found that while running both the hybrid and the MEVI the car was running too rich. Wouldn't the prime solution for a n/a be MEVI, Y-Pipe, and CAI?

-Payne-
Old 06-03-2002, 07:30 AM

Re: Re: CAI + Y-Pipe

Originally posted by dwapenyi
The richness was probably due to the ECU not being given enough time to learn the new intake. The intake was swithced while on the dyno, and the ECU was still used to the previous intake.

DW

True, but we have learned about the open and closed loops. In a Dyno test it would be at WOT, meaning that the ECU doesn't used learned fuel maps.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: CAI + Y-Pipe

Well, according to what Maximus75 said here, WOT involves learning for the ECU as well.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=2

I beleive it. I've had a CAI. the 1st week it was on it was loud as hell on WOT runs. 2nd week, it had calmed down considerable. The ECU must have been learning the new intake that 1st week.

I converted to a Hybrid. Because it wasa hybrid, it was quieter than the CAI, but at 5000-6000 rpm, where the hybrid is supposedly better than the CAI, that thing rocked, rpms rose really fast around then, and the engine sounded crazy. 2nd week, no longer sounds or feels as rushed as it did the 1st week.

While wiritng this post, I just realized something, most POP/CAI comparisons usually involve someone on a dyno with a CAI, then immediately changing to a POP. That is a reall un-fair for the CAI because the ECU learned the CAI airflow and was using it on the POP setup. The POP results were better becuase the ECU was using the CAI feul mapping.

I bet if the dyno was done a week after each intake was installed, the POP advantages would not be as great.

DW

Originally posted by SLC I30t
True, but we have learned about the open and closed loops. In a Dyno test it would be at WOT, meaning that the ECU doesn't used learned fuel maps.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:44 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: CAI + Y-Pipe

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Well, according to what Maximus75 said here, WOT involves learning for the ECU as well.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=2

I beleive it. I've had a CAI. the 1st week it was on it was loud as hell on WOT runs. 2nd week, it had calmed down considerable. The ECU must have been learning the new intake that 1st week.

I converted to a Hybrid. Because it wasa hybrid, it was quieter than the CAI, but at 5000-6000 rpm, where the hybrid is supposedly better than the CAI, that thing rocked, rpms rose really fast around then, and the engine sounded crazy. 2nd week, no longer sounds or feels as rushed as it did the 1st week.

While wiritng this post, I just realized something, most POP/CAI comparisons usually involve someone on a dyno with a CAI, then immediately changing to a POP. That is a reall un-fair for the CAI because the ECU learned the CAI airflow and was using it on the POP setup. The POP results were better becuase the ECU was using the CAI feul mapping.

I bet if the dyno was done a week after each intake was installed, the POP advantages would not be as great.

DW

Everything I've read up today has suggested that at WOT the ECU doesn't use learned fuel maps. So what you posted is correct in intake testing.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:40 PM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed
O.k., don't laugh at me guys but I remember my physics teacher telling us that air through a smaller opening is colder than through a larger opening. He then gave the example of putting your lips tight (as if you were whistling) and blow on your hand vs. opening your mouth wide and blowing on your hand. Think about it, when you want to cool off your coffee, you 'tight lip' blow, when you want to warm your hands in the winter, you 'open mouth' blow. Am I making sense? My question is, does this play a role for our car's intake? Should we be using smaller diameter intake tubes for colder air? But then we'd have less air, I guess. Anyway, just thinking...
I couldn't help but take it upon myself to clear this up.

The cool air affect comes from the transition from a high pressure to low pressure (relative) environment. The energy of the gas expanding when entering the low pressure environment results in a loss in heat.

An example of this is a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher. You can touch the bottle and it doesn't feel cold, but when you shoot the CO2 out it cools rapidly.. and can even cool enough to go solid and form dry ice (if you put a sock or cloth over the nozzle and spray you can collect a nice little bag of Dry ice )

The size of the tubing will have no effect on the coolness of the air in this regard. As was explained earlier in the thread the "tuning" of the tube length is what is really important.. it's the ration of the diameter and the length and it's corellation with the speed and capacity of the air that will effect the ram air effect. The vaccuum effect caused by the enging sucking in the air can cause a slight temperature drop.

I knew those years of teaching a physics lab would come in handy

I always thought it would be nice to make a better ram air, put a scoop in the hood AND use a CAI. I'm just a stupid boy and I don't really know what I'm talking about though
Old 10-01-2006, 03:55 PM

Bump. Just a friendly bump since the weather is getting colder. Yeah, the pics don't work, but use your imagination.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by Str8ridin
Bump. Just a friendly bump since the weather is getting colder. Yeah, the pics don't work, but use your imagination.

You are bumping a 4+ year old thread???
Old 10-01-2006, 07:10 PM
retired moderator

Kind of sad for most people to read, since you can't buy the PR CAI anymore (or the Cattman clone), so there are no "true CAI" out there (at least for the 5th gens) now.

Luckily I grabbed a PR CAI used (damn, they're hard to find)

That said, a worthwhile thread to bump up - alot of good info in here for the n00bs
Old 10-01-2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
You are bumping a 4+ year old thread???

Yeah, what the hell, since the search function doesn't work, a lot of knowledge gets lost....
Old 10-01-2006, 08:52 PM

Hows that CLK ?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:26 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

Wow, I actually remember this thread. I actually remembered my login so that I could post! I remember my OSCAI, then I went custom POP Charger. IMHO the small loss down low is more than made up on the top end with a POP Charger.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rob'sAE
Wow, I actually remember this thread. I actually remembered my login so that I could post! I remember my OSCAI, then I went custom POP Charger. IMHO the small loss down low is more than made up on the top end with a POP Charger.
lol! I'm summond a lot of old schoolers with this thread.

But I hear ya. And the sound was much better!
Old 10-02-2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by BluFlame
Hows that CLK ?

Given me a lot of footprints on the ceiling.