General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hood pins? How about trunk pins?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2000, 09:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm beginning to put more mods into my car, and much more in the future. How can I be sure that what I put into my car will be secure? I heard of hood pins to secure mods in the hood, but how about items in the trunk like subs, amps, etc.? Any of you worry like me? I don't have much right now, but I'm worry about down the line.
Old 11-24-2000, 09:23 PM

How about CD pins, sunroof pins, seatbelt pins, intake manifold pins, catalytic converter pins, and well, just pin everything. Mmm-kay? Me sleep now. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNKED'D UP, YO!
Old 11-24-2000, 09:26 PM

They wont work on your trunk, as it has nothing to clamp to on the other side, plus it would look dumb. Hood pins are to keep the hood from flying up over your windshield on race cars, not a security feature to keed people from stealing your stuff. They could just cut the pin.

[Edited by TexMaximum on 11-24-2000 at 11:42 PM]
Old 11-24-2000, 09:27 PM

Just flip the switch in your trunk

On the latch in the trunk there is a switch, just flip it up, I think(maybe down). Anyway, this makes it were you can only get into your trunk with a key. Makes it harder for theives....

[Edited by Victim64 on 11-24-2000 at 11:33 PM]
Old 11-24-2000, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by Maximamike
How about CD pins, sunroof pins, seatbelt pins, intake manifold pins, catalytic converter pins, and well, just pin everything. Mmm-kay? Me sleep now. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNKED'D UP, YO!
How about a pin on you? Would that help you settle down?
Old 11-24-2000, 09:33 PM

Maybe that idea of pins wasn't that great. However, I'm serious on the security of my items. I worked hard to able to buy these mods for my car. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm serious about the security of my car, and the items in my car. My sister, and my friends have got their cars broken into, and had some real expensive crap stolen. Needless to say, insurance didn't cover those stuff. Damn insurance company. Oh well, maybe I'll figure out something. Thanks guys...except that one.
Old 11-24-2000, 09:43 PM

If what Victim64 says works, this would be your best bet, they would have to pick the lock.

Old 11-24-2000, 10:05 PM

Yeap, it works, I locked my d@mn keys in my trunk once when I did not know what that switch was for. Had to squeeze my uper tourso through the port in the rear set and over my subs to get them. Sure was glade I was skinny that day. Had to pop my left shoulder out of socket too.... That day sucked

Originally posted by TexMaximum
If what Victim64 says works, this would be your best bet, they would have to pick the lock.

Old 11-24-2000, 10:15 PM
The missing moderator

emm... hood pins were not invented to secure mods under the hood as you think. It is intended to secure the hood onto the car.
Old 11-24-2000, 10:19 PM

If you want to go crazy with security,

then here are my idea,First off it depends how much money you want to spend,First idea is to get shatter proof glas just like your winshield it is 300 times more resistant then regular glass,or if you realy want to you could go bullit proof your glass but that will cost a large some off $$$,you would probably be better off with shatter proof glass which is priced a little more reasonable and is 300 times more resistent then regular glass,another good Idea is getting reinforced locks on all of your doors,so with shater proof glass and reinforced locks you would be like 007 haha,keep in mind this would cost around a grand to those two things,another idea is getting a alarm with a nice siren and starter kill and get a system that pages you when your alarm is trigered as long as you are in a 1/4 mile radius of your Max,so if your in your house or a mall you could run out and suprise the would be criminals,and here are 3 cheap ideas you could do,get a battery piece that has a key in it that you can remove and reinstall at anytime you want thieves would not figure this out and would not be able to steal your Max,you can get a Club it helps deture thieves,and hear is my invention so pay attention here,design a flat piece of metal that is shaped and molds with the countors of your exaust tip and get a retractable circle metal piece that can be loosened or tightend using a allen wrench which can be stored on your key chain to be used at a appropriate time with this piece you could seal your exaust pipe and lock it at any time so if some thief attempts to steal your car it would not start because your engine would not be able to expell exaust and no thief would ever figure it out,also you can pull out your fuel pump fues and the car would not start and once again a thief would have no clue why.All of these ideas above would cost you in the area of 2grand but you would sleep better at night nowing your car is invisible haha.Good luck and just ignore MaxMike he just try's to **** people off for no reason.Peace
Old 11-24-2000, 10:41 PM

Re: If you want to go crazy with security,

Are these your next mods Emax95?

Originally posted by emax95
then here are my idea,First off it depends how much money you want to spend,First idea is to get shatter proof glas just like your winshield it is 300 times more resistant then regular glass,or if you realy want to you could go bullit proof your glass but that will cost a large some off $$$,you would probably be better off with shatter proof glass which is priced a little more reasonable and is 300 times more resistent then regular glass,another good Idea is getting reinforced locks on all of your doors,so with shater proof glass and reinforced locks you would be like 007 haha,keep in mind this would cost around a grand to those two things,another idea is getting a alarm with a nice siren and starter kill and get a system that pages you when your alarm is trigered as long as you are in a 1/4 mile radius of your Max,so if your in your house or a mall you could run out and suprise the would be criminals,and here are 3 cheap ideas you could do,get a battery piece that has a key in it that you can remove and reinstall at anytime you want thieves would not figure this out and would not be able to steal your Max,you can get a Club it helps deture thieves,and hear is my invention so pay attention here,design a flat piece of metal that is shaped and molds with the countors of your exaust tip and get a retractable circle metal piece that can be loosened or tightend using a allen wrench which can be stored on your key chain to be used at a appropriate time with this piece you could seal your exaust pipe and lock it at any time so if some thief attempts to steal your car it would not start because your engine would not be able to expell exaust and no thief would ever figure it out,also you can pull out your fuel pump fues and the car would not start and once again a thief would have no clue why.All of these ideas above would cost you in the area of 2grand but you would sleep better at night nowing your car is invisible haha.Good luck and just ignore MaxMike he just try's to **** people off for no reason.Peace
Old 11-24-2000, 10:49 PM

No,

I sold my massive stereo=less weight+hearing in ordor to gain performance,but I have all of these ideas because I use to own a 91 Explorer packed full of speakers and every other thing a thief would ever want so I got a tad bit perinoid and a bit into sequiraty but in the end the Explorer cought fire while I was in it {Yikes!!!911!~}.So with no massive stereo in my Max I will not be going bullet proof anytime soon haha.Peace
Old 11-25-2000, 09:45 AM

Re: If you want to go crazy with security,

Originally posted by emax95
Good luck and just ignore MaxMike he just try's to **** people off for no reason.Peace
What the **** are you talking about? I told you nicely you had the wrong kit and you jumped all over me. What's your damn problem? If I was trying to **** you off well, other people that have been here longer than you would tell you I would just go nuts..
Old 11-25-2000, 09:54 AM

Oh and you have no clue as to what thieves have. The club is a joke. You can take one off in about 10 seconds. And that little exhaust restrictor idea, well, thats umm.. weak as ****. The exhaust gases would blow that right off or just blow your exhaust out. The only good security is parking in and not driving. And sometimes that won't even work..
Old 11-25-2000, 11:35 AM

Clifford makes a trunk module for their alarm systems. It's basically a bolted steel cable that bolts to the trunk floor and lid. When it's activated, you cannot open the trunk. To get in their, you would have to use the jaws of life to cut it open, it will support the weight of the car so you could life the entire car up by the trunk lid.

Wouldn't be cheap though, a good clifford system with the trunk protection and some of the other good modules needed for security will cost you at least $1500. But if you ask me, stuff is replaceable and there's no such thing as a foolproof security system, so I'd just insure your stuff and then if it get's stolen you get to go shopping. Keep your receipts... Most insurance companies will insure add on items such as performance add ons and stereo equipment for minimal additional cost.

[Edited by deathwish on 11-25-2000 at 01:40 PM]
Old 11-25-2000, 11:47 AM

Yeap, my insurance covered everything that was installed or bolted down when my car was vandalized. This was covered under my comprehensive coverage at no additional charge. I did not even have to have all my receipts. CD's, radar detector, and other such things where not covered though.

Originally posted by deathwish

Clifford makes a trunk module for their alarm systems. It's basically a bolted steel cable that bolts to the trunk floor and lid. When it's activated, you cannot open the trunk. To get in their, you would have to use the jaws of life to cut it open, it will support the weight of the car so you could life the entire car up by the trunk lid.

Wouldn't be cheap though, a good clifford system with the trunk protection and some of the other good modules needed for security will cost you at least $1500. But if you ask me, stuff is replaceable and there's no such thing as a foolproof security system, so I'd just insure your stuff and then if it get's stolen you get to go shopping. Keep your receipts... Most insurance companies will insure add on items such as performance add ons and stereo equipment for minimal additional cost.

[Edited by deathwish on 11-25-2000 at 01:40 PM]
Old 11-25-2000, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by Victim64
Yeap, my insurance covered everything that was installed or bolted down when my car was vandalized. This was covered under my comprehensive coverage at no additional charge. I did not even have to have all my receipts. CD's, radar detector, and other such things where not covered though.
I know my insurance will cover the cost of anything bolted down if stolen, but does that also extend to cost of installation? Especially custom work that I would have done myself? I figure for something like that you'd have to present an estimate from a shop, but I still don't know if they'd accept it.