General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

About to buy Wilwood big brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 02:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

About to buy Wilwood big brake kit

Hey guys

I am about to buy the Wilwood big brake kit from Fastbrakes. I was wondering if anyone else was going to buy any time very soon. If we could group together we MAY get a discount. I haven't asked for GD but I guess there's no harm. In any case, I am going to buy them. I thought about the other kit that was out, but it has 13" rotors which will not fit my stock wheels, even with spacers. Also it uses the Dynalite calipers not the Superlites.

Anyone want to join me? .... as I write this I am thinking I should put this in the GD forum. Feel free to move this moderators!

I figure that I am going to buy this first. If it doesn't fit even with spacers, I'll buy the wheels too!
Old 04-12-2002, 02:56 PM

Re: About to buy Wilwood big brake kit

Originally posted by turbo97SE
Hey guys

I am about to buy the Wilwood big brake kit from Fastbrakes. I was wondering if anyone else was going to buy any time very soon. If we could group together we MAY get a discount. I haven't asked for GD but I guess there's no harm. In any case, I am going to buy them. I thought about the other kit that was out, but it has 13" rotors which will not fit my stock wheels, even with spacers. Also it uses the Dynalite calipers not the Superlites.

Anyone want to join me? .... as I write this I am thinking I should put this in the GD forum. Feel free to move this moderators!

I figure that I am going to buy this first. If it doesn't fit even with spacers, I'll buy the wheels too!
Do a search and you will find that there has already been a GD for Wilwoods. That should provide you with all the contact people that you need at Fastbrakes. I believe his name is Brian at Fastbrakes, he is the one that set up the GD before. Email him and see what he can do.

Old 04-12-2002, 03:07 PM

I just talked to Shing (Shingles), the person who put the first Group buy together, and he said if you can get enough interest you can contact him and he will talk to Brian and see what he can do. PM me if you want his email.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:47 PM

Re: About to buy Wilwood big brake kit

I'm so not impressed with the Fastbrakes setup. My friend has them on his car from the last GD, or the only one. In 20,000 miles, his rotors are shot. The pads are fine, but the rotors are tapered. The only excuse Brian had was "well, these are race car parts so it happens." And the braking power isn't all that great. Not all that much better than just drilled rotors and porterfield pads. And the pads drag and produce a lot of noise.

It has all the drawbacks of the 300ZX conversion with a higher price tag.

Hey guys

Old 04-12-2002, 08:51 PM
Honda Convert!

Re: Re: About to buy Wilwood big brake kit

Originally posted by Shadow
I'm so not impressed with the Fastbrakes setup. My friend has them on his car from the last GD, or the only one. In 20,000 miles, his rotors are shot. The pads are fine, but the rotors are tapered. The only excuse Brian had was "well, these are race car parts so it happens." And the braking power isn't all that great. Not all that much better than just drilled rotors and porterfield pads. And the pads drag and produce a lot of noise.

Shadow,

What do you suggest for a big brake upgrade then? cause im trying to figure out which ones im going to go with.

Bruce
Old 04-12-2002, 09:03 PM

Get the AP Racing brakes from Stillen ...
Old 04-12-2002, 09:09 PM
Honda Convert!

Originally posted by ohboiya
Get the AP Racing brakes from Stillen ...
What from $tealin, he!! no i will never put anyhting $tealin on my car any other suggestions are welcome though

Bruce
Old 04-12-2002, 09:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: About to buy Wilwood big brake kit

Well, there are the Stillen/AP ones, but you've ruled them out I guess. There is the 300ZX/3000GT VR-4 conversion, but I don't know a lot about that. And right now, I know someone who is prototyping some Australian made big brakes. They sponsor him, and sent him their new Maxima application. It's 13" rotors, and 4 piston calipers. I think the expected retail price is around $1000 or so, that's what he tells me. Other than that, not too many options.

Originally posted by papasmurf

Shadow,

What do you suggest for a big brake upgrade then? cause im trying to figure out which ones im going to go with.

Bruce
Old 04-12-2002, 09:23 PM
Honda Convert!

Re: Re: Re: Re: About to buy Wilwood big brake kit

Well, there are the Stillen/AP ones, but you've ruled them out I guess. There is the 300ZX/3000GT VR-4 conversion, but I don't know a lot about that. And right now, I know someone who is prototyping some Australian made big brakes. They sponsor him, and sent him their new Maxima application. It's 13" rotors, and 4 piston calipers. I think the expected retail price is around $1000 or so, that's what he tells me. Other than that, not too many options.

Thanks i think im going to use AEM two piece crossdriled 3000gt rotors and 300z calipers and see if that will work. I have a friend who works in a machine shop so the brackets wont be a prob. what do you think, by the way when is your car going to be done and pics up, im really intreested to see what you have done.

Bruce
Old 04-12-2002, 09:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: About to buy Wilwood big brake kit

Can't you use the brackets already made by Ginn Motorsports? BTW, the AEM rotors are sweet. My girlfriend is sponsored by them and they sent her their big brake package for her Integra and it's nice.

Pics of my car are up. What are you looking for? The car is done right now. But it goes into the shop next month for a full stereo rebuild. Another TV, lots of fiberglass, DVD, and PS2. And I'm working on converting my NOS kit to direct port.

Originally posted by papasmurf

Thanks i think im going to use AEM two piece crossdriled 3000gt rotors and 300z calipers and see if that will work. I have a friend who works in a machine shop so the brackets wont be a prob. what do you think, by the way when is your car going to be done and pics up, im really intreested to see what you have done.

Bruce
Old 04-12-2002, 10:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: About to buy Wilwood big brake kit

The car is done right now.
THAT IS A JOKE!!!!!

Bruce - where are you located, i think i can still get my hands on the porsche turbo 13" rotors and 4 piston calipers and i need a machine shop to build me brackets for them... ????
Old 04-12-2002, 10:53 PM

And right now, I know someone who is prototyping some Australian made big brakes. They sponsor him, and sent him their new Maxima application. It's 13" rotors, and 4 piston calipers. I think the expected retail price is around $1000 or so, that's what he tells me. Other than that, not too many options.

Please Keep Posted

K
Old 04-12-2002, 11:06 PM

Damn! I guess I need to thank you Shadow. I was about to drop $1000 on those. Now I need to find a better set up. AEM sounds good but no kit yet? I'm looking for brakes soon .... but I guess I shouldn't hurry. The Stillens are good but very expensive! May be I should go to slotted discs and potterfield pads for now? This brake question has come up a lot! If I am going to drop $1000, I think I should get some value for money.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:30 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Question: i'm not sure what tapering on the rotors is... I've had my Wilwoods for about a year now... Pads are wearing evenly (no tapering with the help of the differential bore pistons) and both rotors appear fine. As a side note, my rotors have been drilled and slotted and that doesn't appear to have weakened them for my braking style. I don't have 20K on them admittedly. New Wilwood UL rotors run $120 a pair (retail)... I have an extra set drilled and slotted sitting downstairs but I don't think I'll ever have to change my (exaggeration )

I had Stillen crossdrilled rotors with pads BEFORE I switch over... I DOES make a difference... at least with my 18" rims/tires.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:44 PM

Damn! I guess I need to thank you Shadow. I was about to drop $1000 on those. Now I need to find a better set up. AEM sounds good but no kit yet? I'm looking for brakes soon .... but I guess I shouldn't hurry. The Stillens are good but very expensive! May be I should go to slotted discs and potterfield pads for now? This brake question has come up a lot! If I am going to drop $1000, I think I should get some value for money.
From what I've heard people who have the Wilwood kit like it. Talk to Chunger if you want an honest, first person experience with the kit. As far as other things go if you want something to tide you over for the time being I got my pads, rotors, lines for $500.
Here's some reading:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ighlight=brake
-hype

Edit: Chunger offered his advice before I could even post about asking him How's that for efficiency.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:52 PM

This is on Ming's car, but his rotors are thinner on the outside edge than they are near the hub. He has the slotted ones that Brian sent him. He's ordered some new types of rotors from Brian, supposedly they're thicker than the ones he has now, but they were really, really expensive.

Originally posted by Chunger

Question: i'm not sure what tapering on the rotors is... I've had my Wilwoods for about a year now... Pads are wearing evenly (no tapering with the help of the differential bore pistons) and both rotors appear fine. As a side note, my rotors have been drilled and slotted and that doesn't appear to have weakened them for my braking style. I don't have 20K on them admittedly. New Wilwood UL rotors run $120 a pair (retail)... I have an extra set drilled and slotted sitting downstairs but I don't think I'll ever have to change my (exaggeration )

I had Stillen crossdrilled rotors with pads BEFORE I switch over... I DOES make a difference... at least with my 18" rims/tires.
Old 04-13-2002, 12:08 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

This is on Ming's car, but his rotors are thinner on the outside edge than they are near the hub. He has the slotted ones that Brian sent him. He's ordered some new types of rotors from Brian, supposedly they're thicker than the ones he has now, but they were really, really expensive.

The rotors are probably the HD 48 curved-fin ones... they weight about 2lbs more each... So both rotors have this 'tapering' problem?

I had the catalog/price sheet from Wilwood but haven't been able to find it I'm still trying to get someone to fab the rear brakes. I was thinking of the 12" solid Wilwood rotors.
Old 04-13-2002, 12:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: About to buy Wilwood big brake kit

Yes, both rotors have the same tapering. And Fastbrakes said it's not normal, but since it's "race parts", it happens. The funny thing is, his pads are in good shape. I'm not sure what rotors Ming is getting, but those would be pretty cool. His current rotors are kind of cheesy, only like 3 slots on each side.

Originally posted by Chunger

The rotors are probably the HD 48 curved-fin ones... they weight about 2lbs more each... So both rotors have this 'tapering' problem?

I had the catalog/price sheet from Wilwood but haven't been able to find it I'm still trying to get someone to fab the rear brakes. I was thinking of the 12" solid Wilwood rotors.
Old 04-13-2002, 12:31 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: About to buy Wilwood big brake kit

Yes, both rotors have the same tapering. And Fastbrakes said it's not normal, but since it's "race parts", it happens. The funny thing is, his pads are in good shape. I'm not sure what rotors Ming is getting, but those would be pretty cool. His current rotors are kind of cheesy, only like 3 slots on each side.

Tell Ming to paint it with a light coat of silver hi temp exhaust paint before installing... I hate the minor rusting these "racing rotors" get. Mask off the sweep area, though.

I'll keep an eye out for the tapering on my car... thanks!
Old 04-13-2002, 01:25 AM
Honda Convert!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: About to buy Wilwood big brake kit

Originally posted by thebigsadler

THAT IS A JOKE!!!!!

Bruce - where are you located, i think i can still get my hands on the porsche turbo 13" rotors and 4 piston calipers and i need a machine shop to build me brackets for them... ????
Hey man im in Maryland, where are you?

Bruce