General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Wife finally uses some of the 255 HP (long story)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 09:46 PM
RKS

Wife finally uses some of the 255 HP (long story)

After picking up some DVDs and subs for an invigorating saturday evening my wife and I were heading for home. At a light we lined up next to a Honda S2K.

(Just for the record I really like how those cars look and I suspect they handle just as well. I also realize that if they are not launched or driven correctly they can be dogs.)

Anyway, I was simply a passenger and I had my window down and had dinner in my lap, the Honda driver, in his mid to late 20s was reving his engine slightly for show but I don't think he wanted to race because he never looked at us.
While he was cranking some pop music, which my wife confirmed was some teen girly band, I told her to "take him". My wife has babied her car for the first 1000 miles so I wasn't suspecting anything; but then the light changed. She didn't bark any tires in first or second but did accelerate quite nicely before letting off while shifting to 3rd. We took a quick lead and I was laughing at this point, I then heard the S2K, which was at least a car length behind, go from 1st gear to 2nd and then it seemed like back to 1st trying to catch-up (man that engine gets kinda buzzy when reved high). Maybe he thought a woman wouldn't drive a stick or push it.
My wife did not redline any gears and was just having a little fun and quickly shut it down at about 50MPH and then the Honda shot by and was probably going about 70 MPH in a 40 or 45 MPH zone.

He did get in front of us. We were behind him on a 1 lane road for about 2 miles and were laughing but the guy never looked in his rear-view mirrors.

My wife was very, uuuhhh, exhilerated , surprised by the Max, misses her VW even less, and wants to run against my 95 SE at the track. Should I tell her about the blue bottle yet

edited for spelling
Old 04-14-2002, 12:46 AM

Man they handle like a frickin' slot car. And they're quite fast if pushed all the way to redline (8500RPM I think)... I believe they run low 14's in the 1/4.

However when driven only to 5500/6000 RPM, they're about as fast as my '99 5speed with Pop/Y-pipe. That is the point where my buddy in his S2K started to walk on me. He said he was amazed that I was almost dead even with him up until his VTEC kicked in.
Old 04-14-2002, 02:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Wife finally uses some of the 255 HP (long story)

Originally posted by RKS
After picking up some DVDs and subs for an invigorating saturday evening my wife and I were heading for home. At a light we lined up next to a Honda S2K.

(Just for the record I really like how those cars look and I suspect they handle just as well. I also realize that if they are not launched or driven correctly they can be dogs.)

Anyway, I was simply a passenger and I had my window down and had dinner in my lap, the Honda driver, in his mid to late 20s was reving his engine slightly for show but I don't think he wanted to race because he never looked at us.
While he was cranking some pop music, which my wife confirmed was some teen girly band, I told her to "take him". My wife has babied her car for the first 1000 miles so I wasn't suspecting anything; but then the light changed. She didn't bark any tires in first or second but did accelerate quite nicely before letting off while shifting to 3rd. We took a quick lead and I was laughing at this point, I then heard the S2K, which was at least a car length behind, go from 1st gear to 2nd and then it seemed like back to 1st trying to catch-up (man that engine gets kinda buzzy when reved high). Maybe he thought a woman wouldn't drive a stick or push it.
My wife did not redline any gears and was just having a little fun and quickly shut it down at about 50MPH and then the Honda shot by and was probably going about 70 MPH in a 40 or 45 MPH zone.

He did get in front of us. We were behind him on a 1 lane road for about 2 miles and were laughing but the guy never looked in his rear-view mirrors.

My wife was very, uuuhhh, exhilerated , surprised by the Max, misses her VW even less, and wants to run against my 95 SE at the track. Should I tell her about the blue bottle yet

edited for spelling
S2k's are fast. If you beat one, then it's driver doesn't know what he/she is doing.

P.S. - my god man, do NOT tell her about the bottle.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:49 PM

Re: Re: Wife finally uses some of the 255 HP (long story)

Originally posted by ljl10

S2k's are fast. If you beat one, then it's driver doesn't know what he/she is doing.

P.S. - my god man, do NOT tell her about the bottle.
Yes unless you want certain papers filed
Old 04-15-2002, 12:21 AM

Dont tell Wifey..

Horsepower 240 @ 8300

Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm) 153 @ 7500
http://www.hondacars.com/models/s2000/features.html

hmm all that horse power yet it cannot transfere it to the wheels..

shot my 3rd gen has about 180+ torque...

but i guess that it would be fun to drive it since it redlines at 9000... say one up close at the Subaru meet... Man try to redline in that car on its last gear.. you'll probably shiet on yourself..

Poll. if you tell wifey you will sleep on the couch.. if not in the max.. wait tell her..
Old 04-15-2002, 07:05 AM
Granny Driven

Originally posted by justmax
Man they handle like a frickin' slot car. And they're quite fast if pushed all the way to redline (8500RPM I think)... I believe they run low 14's in the 1/4.

However when driven only to 5500/6000 RPM, they're about as fast as my '99 5speed with Pop/Y-pipe. That is the point where my buddy in his S2K started to walk on me. He said he was amazed that I was almost dead even with him up until his VTEC kicked in.
What happen to your car in the sig???
Old 04-15-2002, 07:53 PM
RKS

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA

What happen to your car in the sig???
Had to go due to a variety of reasons, I don't mind Hondas.

House
Wedding / Honeymoon
School
(lotsa big, thick, dusty law books on my table right now with exam in just 3 weeks )
More practical ride for work and school