General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Front end rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 01:18 PM

Front end rattle

I'm trying to diagnose a rattle in my front end, mostly on the left side. I hear it at slow speeds on relatively smooth roads with small bumps, and on right hand turns. I don't think it's related to the springs or struts, because I heard this with the coilovers, and I still hear it with the Progress/AGX setup I just put on. I jacked the car up and tried wiggling the front wheels to see if the bearings are going (my first suspicion) but there doesn't seem to be play in the wheels themselves. I do hear a "clunk" in the center of the car when the wheels turn, though. I also put a bar under the wheels to see if there is excessive vertical play in the end bushings, but I didn't see anything there either, which surprised me because it feels like vertical play when it rattles. I checked the sway bar end bushings; the nuts seemed loose so I tightened them down. I have polyurethane bushings on the sway bar. I almost wonder if those could be wearing out after 50k+ miles? What else could I be looking at, or should be looking at again?
Old 04-15-2002, 03:17 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

I'd be happy if someone could solve this mysterious noise as well. I have it. Exactly the same symtoms... I've even added addition 'coil wrapping' this last weekend but to no avail. I did notice that I was missing the 'spacer' (aka gasket) on the driver's front strut assembly between the frame. The dealer want's $12 for this piece of paper. I bought a roll of gasket material for $5 and will make my own. I'm not sure this will help though.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:41 AM

rattle

Originally posted by Chunger
I'd be happy if someone could solve this mysterious noise as well. I have it. Exactly the same symtoms... I've even added addition 'coil wrapping' this last weekend but to no avail. I did notice that I was missing the 'spacer' (aka gasket) on the driver's front strut assembly between the frame. The dealer want's $12 for this piece of paper. I bought a roll of gasket material for $5 and will make my own. I'm not sure this will help though.
I don't think it's the paper gasket, because things could still be tight in place and not do this. I don't have any paper gasket in; my right wheel doesn't do this at all, only the left, and they are installed the same. At this point I'm thinking bushings if it's not the wheel bearing, and I haven't ruled that out completely. I swear I can feel the vibration when it rattles. It doesn't seem to do it over 40 mph.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:20 AM

What about the strut bearings? My 90 max had problems when these wore out, only strange noises.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:12 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by edadams
What about the strut bearings? My 90 max had problems when these wore out, only strange noises.
I visually inspected the bearings before putting them back in. They seem fine and I don't have any noises as I turn the steering wheel. The upper strut mount seemed fine too. I know it's not the spring.

I'm beginning to hate these noise 'Gremlins'... I have one in the back as well. I'm gonna remove or remount the RSB for awhile to see if thats the source.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:45 AM

Simple but dumb ....

Well, after assuming the problem to be something other than the spring installation, I finally went back to looking at that. I reached into the wheelwell and could rattle the front left spring, but not the front right. At that point I popped the hood and looked at the center nut on the AGX ... and it was loose. I tightened it down and the problem is gone. The right side also took some tightening, just wasn't as bad, yet. Duh ... Anyway, I hope you find a solution to your problem. Just make sure you double check the obvious stuff. I hate those noise gremlins!
Old 04-17-2002, 03:08 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Simple but dumb ....

Originally posted by OriginalMadMax
Well, after assuming the problem to be something other than the spring installation, I finally went back to looking at that. I reached into the wheelwell and could rattle the front left spring, but not the front right. At that point I popped the hood and looked at the center nut on the AGX ... and it was loose. I tightened it down and the problem is gone. The right side also took some tightening, just wasn't as bad, yet. Duh ... Anyway, I hope you find a solution to your problem. Just make sure you double check the obvious stuff. I hate those noise gremlins!
Found the same problem... stupid me... It was only loose maybe 1 full turn... what a difference. Thanks!

MODERATORS: IS THIS PROBLEM ALREADY IN THE STICKY POST INFO?
Old 04-17-2002, 03:11 PM

Re: Re: Simple but dumb ....

Originally posted by Chunger

Found the same problem... stupid me... It was only loose maybe 1 full turn... what a difference. Thanks!

Yeah, feels great! Glad it worked for you too!