General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My car Totalled.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 06:24 PM

My car Totalled.....

I don't know where to start...but me and my friends were going to DC for the weekend and some crazy sh*t happened on the way. Friday night on the NJ turnpike, we had my car and my friend's 330i and we were following each other... I go on the shoulder for CERTAIN reasons, and all of the sudden the shoulder becomes all messed up and muddy since it was raining before..and this truck on my left starts coming into me for no reason. So I move my car a little bit to the right..and the car completely loses control. Fishtails violently, I try to control it but it skids off to the grass on the right, and the area next to the shoulder was like a little hill and my car FLEW about 8-10 feet in the air, landed on the roof first, then kept flippin at least 3-4 more times. This is all from what my friends in the bimmer told us. Inside the car..all I felt was everything breaking and the car going in all directions and everything hitting me and stuff. So then the car stops and all I see is my car completely fu**ed and alot of blood and mud on everyone...but everyone was ok and was able to get out of the car. Just about EVERY SINGLE THING inside the car broke, I saw my bose speakers lying on the ground, the spoiler ripped off the trunk and what not. We all had cuts and bruises on our heads/arms/face etc but nothing that big (thank God). So we were all taken to the hospital in 2 ambulances and treated for the injuries. And as soon as my accident started happening, my friend in the bimmer got scared and braked real hard because he wanted to stop right next to me since they all thought we were probably dead or something and everybody was really shook...so the car behind him hit him and he has a lot of damage on his car now too, about a quarter panel. So both of us learned our lessons, me just more than him. It was probably one of the craziest weekends of my life.

And now some other things...this experience taught me a huge lesson and I'm finally gonna straighten myself out. I've gotten into so much crazy sh*t in the past and have always walked away from it scratchless...and this time with a few scratches compared to the caliber of this whole thing. And straightening myself means no more street racing...and no other bad things like drinking/smoking/partying etc. Once in a while is OK but not all the time like I used to. I should've learned before but since I'm so stupid it took something this huge to teach me a lesson. Thankfully all my friends are ok except for the minor injuries or I don't know how I ever would've been able to live with myself. Now I have to go through the whole process of insurance and everything and hopefully they'll give a decent amount of money. I doubt the car is repairable and even if it is I wouldn't wanna keep it anymore. I had so much planned for my car and I loved it to death and it kills me to see that I have to lose it like that...but I got myself into it and I'll get myself out of it. Just a word of advice to everyone out there, (even though if you guys are anything like me I know you won't learn until something happens to your own self or someone you know)...But just try to keep it safe on the road, no matter how good you are, something is bound to happen sooner or later. You can be the best driver, but that means the worst things can happen to you because normal/regular drivers wouldn't be getting into those crazy situations in the first place. I still didn't learn in the past even though so much happened to me and people I know, and now I have to learn the hard way. But I guess it'll be a good thing in the long run since I'll be all good and straight from now (hopefully). Whatever car I get next is only gonna be raced on the track and not on the street. Sorry for the long post but this is just a crazy a** experience that I'm having to go through. Here are some pics, you guys can look at it and wonder how the people inside got out alive.

http://members.hometown.aol.com/mdzone123/accident

I probably won't be hanging around these forums much anymore, because everytime I come here and start reading posts I start missing my maxima too much, so I have to lay low for a while. But good luck to all of you and your cars and everything...be smart and drive safe.

- Sho
Old 04-16-2002, 06:44 PM

DUDE...That totally sucks, I used to have a 96 Maxima, but I totaled it. I pulled out in front of a drunk driver, but he swerved into me instead of away from me, so no1 was at fault. Although no injuries, just screaming from my parents!
Old 04-16-2002, 06:44 PM

aww man!...sorry to hear about your accident...those pics are pretty scary...thank god everyone was alright...that is the important thing, cars can be replaced, and it is good to know that you have decided to learn from your mistake...a good step forward...good luck with whatever car you choose next...and again, sorry to hear about the max
Old 04-16-2002, 06:47 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Good to hear that you are ok. I went through the same thing in NY a couple of Octobers ago. You just need to brush it off. It wasn't your fault and **** happens. I felt the same way you did when I totaled my friend's camry. I thought I could never get behind the wheel again. I had three friends in the car and felt guilty for so long, but it's an ACCIDENT. You just have to be strong and get over it. Driving is dangerous no matter what.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:48 PM

Wow!, You should be happy to be alive. Glad you are OK.

GC
Old 04-16-2002, 06:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry, I'm glad everyone is alright.

Erik
Old 04-16-2002, 07:08 PM

Re: My car Totalled.....

Glad to hear you're ok.

And I agree with having to go through such an experience to learn a lesson.

There are people that have experienced such accidents, and the smart ones realize the big second chance they have been given and seek to better themselves the second time around.

I took the liberty of isolating the most important parts of your post and bolded them.

Again, I'm glad everyone is ok ... and it's too bad that such an accident had to happen to teach you a lesson. But sometimes, that's the way it has to be.

Originally posted by for sHo
And now some other things...this experience taught me a huge lesson and I'm finally gonna straighten myself out. I've gotten into so much crazy sh*t in the past and have always walked away from it scratchless...and this time with a few scratches compared to the caliber of this whole thing. And straightening myself means no more street racing...and no other bad things like drinking/smoking/partying etc. Once in a while is OK but not all the time like I used to. I should've learned before but since I'm so stupid it took something this huge to teach me a lesson. Thankfully all my friends are ok except for the minor injuries or I don't know how I ever would've been able to live with myself. Now I have to go through the whole process of insurance and everything and hopefully they'll give a decent amount of money. I doubt the car is repairable and even if it is I wouldn't wanna keep it anymore. I had so much planned for my car and I loved it to death and it kills me to see that I have to lose it like that...but I got myself into it and I'll get myself out of it. Just a word of advice to everyone out there, (even though if you guys are anything like me I know you won't learn until something happens to your own self or someone you know)...But just try to keep it safe on the road, no matter how good you are, something is bound to happen sooner or later. You can be the best driver, but that means the worst things can happen to you because normal/regular drivers wouldn't be getting into those crazy situations in the first place. I still didn't learn in the past even though so much happened to me and people I know, and now I have to learn the hard way. But I guess it'll be a good thing in the long run since I'll be all good and straight from now (hopefully). Whatever car I get next is only gonna be raced on the track and not on the street. Sorry for the long post but this is just a crazy a** experience that I'm having to go through.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dude, that is a life-changing accident. Your words of warning are well taken. A couple of years back, I saw a similar accident with a maxima that left 3 teens lying on the ground (they were apparently thrown out of the car when it flipped multiple times) and their car a mess. I don't know how all three made it out of that with limited injuries. Now I fear the weather, the road conditions, and try to play it safe. It's just not worth it. I am very glad you all were OK. Cars are just cars. They will be replaced... I think we know how you feel though; our cars are our babies.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:27 PM

just buy another maxima and continue to visit and continue where u left off....
Old 04-16-2002, 08:03 PM

That's not a very good advice, Yellowbrother. Maybe from your point of view it is, 'cause you have yet to probably experience anything so close as "facing" your dead. And I hope you never do in such a horrific way. But for the people who have witnessed such occurrences, they can't just continue where they left off. Learning from your mistakes is the key here - and that should always be remembered.

I am glad everyone is okay. And yes, street racing is bad. No matter how good or bad of a driver you are. Period. & I am speaking from experience. It's just not worth it. You may think "I know what I am doing. I know EXACTLY how much steering I need to turn in order to make such type of cut - Besides, my Max can handle it all!". But you can never be too sure. It's not safe.

Speed limits are there for a reason, you might think it's "too slow" for you, but the state knows what they are doing. Don't do anything crazy, even if there are no cars around you, YOU are still there...

Aggressiveness + heavy foot is a fu!ked up combination. for sHo ended up on the grass on the side... If he would've ended up in middle of the Turnpike, I can't imagine what the turn out would've been.

Anyways, don't race on the streets. Raining just makes it so much worst. Everyone be safe & try to learn from other people's experiences & mistakes. It's hard, but at least you can try.

Good luck with everything! Be safe & try not to go back to your ol' unsafe life.

P.S... I do think Maxima has a tough body. The car gets ****ed up, but the passengers come out alive. I have noticed this many times (by reading from how people totaled their cars).
Old 04-16-2002, 08:15 PM

Man.............I am real sorry about what happened. That is one of the worst things that could ever happen to someone next to losing your life or someone elses. I was looking at your pictures and just kept saying, "oh my god, oh my god." Like someone said before, those pics are very scary. The way the roof caved in like that. It is just good to hear that you and your friends are still alive and not injured badly. It is sad that it takes something like this to remind us of how precious life really is and your whole life can change in a few seconds right before your eyes.
My advice for you is to not beat yourself up over it too much. It will seem like everything is gone to $hit, but you and your friends are still alive, you have gained a higher respect for life in general and it is just going to take some time for your mental wounds (as well as physical) to heal. But, in the end everything will work out. This is a crazy world we live in, and just think about all the $hi* that happens in it. We learn as we go, and go as we learn. Take good care of yourself and it was nice having you on the org. Just come back to chat when you get a new Maxima. They really are wonderful cars. Peace.

Regards,

Justin
Old 04-16-2002, 09:22 PM

dude.. glad that you are ok.... can't believe that you walk away with just a few scratch...
hope everything work out for you... I been in accident before, that is why I stop driving so fast...
Old 04-16-2002, 10:06 PM

Sorry to hear about the accident i am just glad that you are still with us today I know after the horrible accident i experienced last summer it doesn't matter whether your racing(increases chances of an accident) or waiting to make a left turn(my case) the world is F-ed and things just happen for a reason, it only takes a split second.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:00 AM

You and your friends are lucky to be alive!

I'm glad you are alive to tell about it.

Someone was looking over you. It's also a testament to how strong the Max is.

I have been in several accidents and seen many where people have died. We are a lot more fragile then people think and at high speeds our flesh rips apart pretty nicely when contacting broken glass and torn metal.

Unfortunately, most of us are adrenaline junkies and we probably won't learn till it's too late...
Old 04-17-2002, 06:24 AM

welcome to the i flipped my car and lived to tell about it club glad your ok those are some scary pics, i flipped my first car, my 89 pickup, dont worry you'll get over it, main thing is everyone was ok
Old 04-17-2002, 06:47 AM

My life changed on 2/15/02. I gave up the fast "street" life, now I suffer w/ probation and suspended license.

-End Story.

Old 04-17-2002, 07:25 AM

god damn
now that is some scary $hit.
glad you and your friends are all ok, it's amazing how no one car hurt considering the back is almost completely caved in.
Old 04-17-2002, 07:30 AM

http://members.hometown.aol.com/mdzone123/accident

holy **** ...sorry to hear bout the lost...thank god nobody was hurt ... from wha is seen....i cant believe it ...

Old 04-17-2002, 07:37 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

You are right... unfortunately, sometimes it takes being in the middle of a f-ed up accident to learn from it and change certain habits. I learned my lesson last August. Ange
Old 04-17-2002, 07:49 AM

Re: Re: My car Totalled.....

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl

You are right... unfortunately, sometimes it takes being in the middle of a f-ed up accident to learn from it and change certain habits. I learned my lesson last August. Ange
have you truly learned your lesson ?

like I have ?

-

Old 04-17-2002, 08:12 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Re: Re: Re: My car Totalled.....

Originally posted by Chimp Dj

have you truly learned your lesson ?
like I have ?

-
Old 04-17-2002, 09:03 AM
Jedi Knight

There is.....>

a God, some people on here have quoted that the max is a safe car, and I'm not disputing that, but I know that from the pictures things could easily have been worse. God was watching you and your friends on that day. I wish you best of luck with everything that you choose to do now. take care and don't be a stranger...(I know its tough)
Old 04-17-2002, 09:30 AM

:(

Sorry to hear about your accident, but as many have said - it's good that everyone made it out ok.

You were lucky.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:07 AM

crap - bye bye maxima - but its very good to know that you werent hurt, maxima can always be replaced - its nothing to cry over - another lesson lerned i guess
Old 04-17-2002, 11:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My life changed on 2/15/02. I gave up the fast "street" life, now I suffer w/ probation and suspended license.

-End Story.
For a person whose life supposedly changed several times over, you seem to engage in many of the same activities as before.

By your posts, you have no given up the "fast 'street' life" nor have you learned any lesson.

In fact, if I am not mistaken, you are currently driving around with a suspended license. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that illegal in NY? Perhaps giving up the "fast 'street' life" should also include following the law?

for sHo - The car can be replaced, your life cannot. Be thankful everyone is fine.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by blue96se

For a person whose life supposedly changed several times over, you seem to engage in many of the same activities as before.

By your posts, you have no given up the "fast 'street' life" nor have you learned any lesson.

In fact, if I am not mistaken, you are currently driving around with a suspended license. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that illegal in NY? Perhaps giving up the "fast 'street' life" should also include following the law?

for sHo - The car can be replaced, your life cannot. Be thankful everyone is fine.
"Seem to engage." Go Watch THE PIKE Video and thats what I was Engaged in before 2/15/02. After 2/15/02 I don't pull that kinda **** anymore, so think about what you write, and think it through thoroughly, so we don't have to go through this discussion.

"By my posts" I have no given up the fast "street" life ? nor have I learned my lesson ?
Again, ASSUMPTIONS ARE THE MOTHER OF ALL F-UPS. YOU DON'T KNOW ME, YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO I AM. You base this all off maxima.org and my posts ? All what 180 of them that I have now ? Great move. As for learning my lesson, I learned it the hard way, and I have alot of the stuff in my garage from the accident, and I get to see it everyday reminding me of what happened. The only reason I am not going clinincally insane or maybe I am, is cause my two friends involved are ok, breathing, walking and honestly I can care less on WTF U R Preaching to me, telling me, that I haven't learned my lesson. I DON'T DRIVE LIKE A MORON, I TAKE IT EASY, AND I RARELY DRIVE THESE DAYS, CONSIDERING THE FACT I DID LOSE MY LICENSE FOR ALL I'VE DONE ON THE STREET HAS BEEN A GOD SEND AND A WAKE UP CALL.

YOU STILL THINK I HAVEN'T LEARNED FROM THAT YET ?

BEING LEGAL AND ILLEGAL ARE ONE THING, BUT LEARNING ONE'S LESSON IS DIFFERENT.

-It's only Illegal if you get CAUGHT, so get your Thoughts Straight.

Old 04-17-2002, 12:43 PM

Wow. God was really with you. Glad to hear you are OK, and everyone else, too!

DW
Old 04-17-2002, 12:57 PM

Your so freakn lucky!!!!!!!!

You really have to think about what you did with this one man... Thats just disturbing, why were you on the freakn E-Lane!? I wish my friend was that lucky...You looked for it, He didnt!!! Guess things work out strangely now-a-days!
Old 04-17-2002, 01:07 PM

Glad to see you got out okay.

SuDZ
Old 04-17-2002, 01:29 PM

These days you don't know wether you'll live to see tommorow or will some strange twist take you away now.
There have been losses on this forum and many others.
To put some retrospect on it, there have been close calls w/ accidents that look real bad, but the people are still with us.
Cherish life, for every minute that passes, its just the one second that can end it all.

-Move on, in life.

Old 04-17-2002, 01:32 PM

These days you don't know wether you'll live to see tommorow or will some strange twist take you away now.
There have been losses on this forum and many others.
To put some retrospect on it, there have been close calls w/ accidents that look real bad, but the people are still with us.
Cherish life, for every minute that passes, its just the one second that can end it all.

-Move on, in life.
hey chimp is there a thread about your accident at the org?
would like to see how yours happened.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by maxima_dumby

hey chimp is there a thread about your accident at the org?
would like to see how yours happened.
It's not me who got into the accident.
For those that know I am YO_ITS_OK.

I am referring to Clee130's accident on DPA.
Rba recieved back injuries and a broken shoulder.
Clee recieved a mental breakdown, and sprained, burned wrist.
I recieved a mental f-ing I've never felt before.

I had Toylet902 in the passenger seat, and A33(Who was in NY from Canada) in the rear seat.

Considering what I've seen in front of my eyes, and what I've been through, I had my own breakdown, offline was alot worse than what occured online, esp. on this forum. Before the accidents I witnessed were never "friends." 2/15/02 changed that. Calvin and Albert survived and almost "walked" away from the impact. Calvin was the last person who I honestly thought any ill-will should happen to. I had lost my license the day before to the judge who honestly profiled me for who I was.(I won't get into that.)
Since that weekend of 2/15/02 I've changed my driving habits, and drive only when I have to. A few times, over the last few weeks, I've been "modifying" my car, so I had to put on quite a few miles. I've had friends drive my car to shops for the work done to the car, and at one point managed to put close to 400 miles in one day going back and forth from NJ and NY.

blue96se Regardless on who you are, I didn't appreciate your comments, or if it was "candor" it was very unwelcome.

-Peace

Old 04-17-2002, 02:16 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

forSHo, I had a similer accident. Except it wasn't my fault (No offense, what I mean is someone else caused it). Some guy in a honda was weaving through the interstate going about 80, pulls up next to me (i'm in the passing lane) in 5pm traffic, and literally hits me off the road. (And there was a big white smear on the side of my car to prove it).

I get knocked into the emergency lane and my stupid '95 without anti-lock brakes locks up and I fishtail across the interstate onto the other side of the highway.

Bottom line is I was definatally lucky to be alive. I hit another guy, but I could have easily been side-swiped and become another statistic.

Ever since then I rarely race and never race on the highway. I drive aggressevly occasionally, but I am mostly docile.

This moron in an old 4banging' altima w/an ugly kit and ricer exhaust with little hubcap rims comes beside me on the interstate during a storm and guns it trying to get me to race. He looks at me, smiles and "laughs" and gives me the thumbs down. All I did was think to myself man, they don't come dumber than this...

God works miracles in mysterous ways and I was probubly put on the highway at that time to save his life. Another ricer could have accepeted his stupid challange and they could both be flipped and dead.

Keep it safe boys. Notice how the premier sports cars (Vettes, porsche's, ect) go slow or the speed limit 90% of the time. We should act like them....we aint got nothin' 2 prove
Old 04-17-2002, 02:38 PM

CM, there is always something to prove on the highway.
How fast can you go into a wall and die.

Don't mind me.
J/K

-Peace

Old 04-17-2002, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Maximariven
That's not a very good advice, Yellowbrother. Maybe from your point of view it is, 'cause you have yet to probably experience anything so close as "facing" your dead. And I hope you never do in such a horrific way. But for the people who have witnessed such occurrences, they can't just continue where they left off. Learning from your mistakes is the key here - and that should always be remembered.
what i meant was that he can still buy another used 4th gen and mod it...not him continueing to drive "wrecklessly" like he did before this experience...sho himself said he still want to mod car but not do stupid thing on the street...all racing will be at the track...so why not buy another 4th gen and continue modding it and just take it to the track and race???
Old 04-18-2002, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
forSHo,
Keep it safe boys. Notice how the premier sports cars (Vettes, porsche's, ect) go slow or the speed limit 90% of the time. We should act like them....we aint got nothin' 2 prove

why would anyone want to buy a sports car and have it go slow?
wouldn't it defeat the whole purpose of getting a sports car in the first place
Old 04-18-2002, 07:33 AM

Just to clarify, fish-tailing cannot be helped by ABS. Fish-tailing happens because of sudden massive braking, or complete loss of traction in the rear due to bald tires, rain, etc, causing the rear wheels to become completely un-loaded. Once un-loaded the rear wheels lift up and start turning towards the front of the car. Car-mags call it lift throttle over-steer. The Maxima, especially with an RSB, does this easily, because of it FWD, giving it a large front weight bias. To help prevent it or not get it too out of contol, you need to load up the rear some how. Either;

a) let go of the brake a little
b) Turn the steering into the direction of where the rear wheels are coming. If the rear is coming about on the right (so you were kinda going left), turn more right.
c) accelerate. You don't need to floor it, just push a little.

Doing certain combos of these three steps would work out, too.
If you get comfortable with this, you'll go a long way towards preventing a future accident in your car.

DW
Old 05-07-2002, 11:36 AM

bump, to remember what can happen to us..

Fo_sHo - You're a ****ing idiot. Racing on the street is one thing, but with 4 people in the car, after it rained, on the shoulder with your seats reclined??? Who the hell do you think you are?? You could have crossed the highway and killed inocent people! What if you hit a mini-van with a family?? What, you'll be sorry and say you'll change yada yada. The fact that you consciencely put the lives of four others in jeopardy indicates studpidy and that you WON'T CHANGE. The fact that you walked away says that you'll have more confidence to know that you'll walk away again. The fact that you got to the point where you were able to do what you did means your way gone already.

I don't feel safe having my family and friends on the road with people like you and your history. Looking at what you did, I'll bet money that you'll be back to who you were in no time.

Don't even try to rebute this, you've done what you've done and you can't ever change that, you can only predict what you'll do next....and I hope it's not driving again.

I'm sorry this sounds harsh, but considering what could have happened and the lives that could have been lost forever, I can't be sympathetic.

-str8
Old 05-07-2002, 12:10 PM

Don't assume sh!tty drivers are permanantly that way...

Back when I was 20, I was a cocky little a-hole that could do no wrong in a car. I had gotten in 6 wrecks in 4 months with no change in my aggressive driving. It took me running a S-10 under a 18-wheeler to calm me down. The driver of the rig made a u-turn, completely blocking the road. I went right under at about 50-55mph. While at the hospital people came in amazed that I was alive, WITH ONLY A GASH IN MY FOREHEAD! I later found out that I will have back trouble for the rest of my life. Since this wreck, I have had not one wreck, ticket or anything. Don't assume people will never change, some may take a few more nudges than others. Be supportive instead of assuming bad drivers are bad drivers for life...
Old 05-07-2002, 12:19 PM

Re: Don't assume sh!tty drivers are permanantly that way...

Originally posted by the_spainter
Back when I was 20, I was a cocky little a-hole that could do no wrong in a car. I had gotten in 6 wrecks in 4 months with no change in my aggressive driving. It took me running a S-10 under a 18-wheeler to calm me down. The driver of the rig made a u-turn, completely blocking the road. I went right under at about 50-55mph. While at the hospital people came in amazed that I was alive, WITH ONLY A GASH IN MY FOREHEAD! I later found out that I will have back trouble for the rest of my life. Since this wreck, I have had not one wreck, ticket or anything. Don't assume people will never change, some may take a few more nudges than others. Be supportive instead of assuming bad drivers are bad drivers for life...
Oh, OK, let me give him a few more chances to kill me or some incocent driver on the road until he learns his lesson. I'm guessing people where supportive your first 4 times, right? That did the trick until you almost killed yourself.

Quick Reply: My car Totalled.....