General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Intercooler installed!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2000, 05:47 PM

A 15X7 3" Front Mount intercooler was installed over the weekend by http://www.chargedair.com. Air intake temperature before FMIC under boost was 133 degrees(F).
After the intercooler, the temps were 60 degrees(F) under boost with the outside air temperature at 40 degrees(F) in both before and after tests. It appears that I lost about a half a pound of boost but with the 73 degree drop in air temperature the overall mass with be greatly improved with the increased density. Just remember it's not the quantity of air you want it's the quality!!!!!! Next stop the dyno with an air fuel meter.
Old 11-26-2000, 05:50 PM
vapors smx

hey steve. could you post a pic. also how much did it cost? we live in phoenix arizona, so heat is a problem with us. we would be highly interested in doing this upgrade.

Old 11-26-2000, 06:05 PM

It costed me $1100 installed...

It ended up taking him about twice as long as he had anticipated to do the install. I asked him about pricing for future customers and he stated about $1500.00 to $1600.00.

I'll post some pics on my homepage sometime this week.
Old 11-26-2000, 06:13 PM
vapors smx

thanks for letting me know. sounds a little high depending on the dyno. if it shows notable gains, we will do it. how much modification of the car needs to be done to get it to work. also where is it located? is it in the scoop of the mouth of the car(at the bottom of the front so it is exposed to frontal air) or is it just mounted in the engine bay. i saw someone with an intercooler in the engine bay. couldnt understand how it could cool anything. who should i ask for when i call that place?

Old 11-26-2000, 06:45 PM

The dyno wont do it justice

as the air wont be blowing at the intercooler like at the track. It's located in the scoop of the mouth of the car(at the bottom of the front so it is exposed to frontal air). It's a front mount.

Ask for Tony(the owner). He estimates 30 hp at the wheels.

The track will be the true test. If it stays dry this week a track might be open but I'll probably have to wait until next year to run it.
Old 11-26-2000, 06:49 PM
vapors smx

cool thanks. how much modification of the front end did it take?

Old 11-26-2000, 07:01 PM

The black tube from stillen that goes across the

engine bay is removed. His tubing takes over from there to the MAF. Their is really no modification to the car. The trans cooler and steering cooler got relocated.
Old 11-26-2000, 07:32 PM

what type of brand core?

tube/fin design?
delta fin?
bar/fin?
Old 11-26-2000, 08:33 PM

Re: The dyno wont do it justice

Originally posted by SteveChicagoSC
as the air wont be blowing at the intercooler like at the track. It's located in the scoop of the mouth of the car(at the bottom of the front so it is exposed to frontal air). It's a front mount.

Ask for Tony(the owner). He estimates 30 hp at the wheels.

The track will be the true test. If it stays dry this week a track might be open but I'll probably have to wait until next year to run it.
Bring a strong squirrel cage type fan to the dyno and youll be fine. Some water spray on the IC before you do each run will also help. But, with discharge temps as low as yours (133 F), alot of the heat rejection will be brought about by the sheer thermal mass of the IC which is idependent of airflow across it (until it heat soaks of course). Ive seen 200F+ temp drops across my IC on the GLH with 80F ambient temps...Its amazing what a good IC can do!

Good luck! Im curious to see how it works out!
Old 11-27-2000, 06:29 AM

details

Originally posted by got rice?
what type of brand core?

tube/fin design?
delta fin?
bar/fin?
The core manufacturing is in house.
It's a tube/fin core with nockolok brazing. An extruded tube/fin core is the most effective core matrix available.

It's a tube-fin core. Bar-plate is old school.
Old 11-27-2000, 06:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've been reading up on turbo's over at miataforums.com It seems pretty typical for the boost to drop after putting in an intercooler. The sollution turn up the boost ie... smaller pulley.

Regards
Wizeguy
Old 11-27-2000, 07:42 AM
Keven97SE

Yep, it's normal for boost to go down when you cool the intake air. Temp/pressure are related, remember, so if you drop temperature, pressure falls accordingly. That DOESN'T mean that FLOW is reduced, though; conversely, flow will go up due to the increased density of the air.

Remember, the SC is still spinning at the same speed with or without the intercooler. If the post-SC pressure has actually dropped, then there's less resistance to the air exiting the SC, hence the flow through the SC will actually increase.

Too many people get caught up with the notion that more boost is better. Not the case. You realize that all I'd need to do is install a small orifice reducer somewhere downstream of your pressure transducer and I could "boost" pressure 5/10/15 psi. All the while flow from the SC decreases. "Boost" pressure is as much an indicator of improperly sized flow paths as it is big/bad compressor.

Old 11-27-2000, 07:50 AM
Keven97SE

As far as HP increase goes, 30 HP gain is far optimistic. Think things out logically: every 10 deg intake temp drop equates to roughly a 1% density increase, hence a 1% HP increase. For a 72 deg drop, that 7% HP increase. For a 250 HP (at the wheels) engine, that's a ~18 HP increase, NOT including the power drop due to the flow restriction of the intercooler core. If you account for that significant restriction, which I'll guess is 40% of your cooling gainm that's a net HP increase of ~10-12 HP at the wheels.

The REAL benefit of the IC is that it allows you to reduce the pulley size on the SC to crank the boost back up. You can go above the original boost pressures now with the IC. Now the combination of the smaller, higher-boost SC pulley and the IC may give you 30+ HP at the wheels, but not the IC alone. At least on the Maxima.

Old 11-27-2000, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by Keven97SE
Yep, it's normal for boost to go down when you cool the intake air. Temp/pressure are related, remember, so if you drop temperature, pressure falls accordingly. That DOESN'T mean that FLOW is reduced, though; conversely, flow will go up due to the increased density of the air.

Remember, the SC is still spinning at the same speed with or without the intercooler. If the post-SC pressure has actually dropped, then there's less resistance to the air exiting the SC, hence the flow through the SC will actually increase.

Too many people get caught up with the notion that more boost is better. Not the case. You realize that all I'd need to do is install a small orifice reducer somewhere downstream of your pressure transducer and I could "boost" pressure 5/10/15 psi. All the while flow from the SC decreases. "Boost" pressure is as much an indicator of improperly sized flow paths as it is big/bad compressor.
Yep. Boost pressure as measured at the intake manifold is just a resistance to flow. High boost means there is alot of restriction present in the flow path to that particular mass flow of air. What is important is not the actual boost pressure, but the MASS of air associated with that flow. A given turbo or supercharger may move lets say, 400 lb/min of air at, say, 25 psi of "boost" on an engine like my GLH (4 cylinder, 8 V head). That same turbo on a larger displacement engine, or one with a better flowing head, might only show 18 psi of "boost" at the same mass air flow rate, and would make similar power as the more restrictive engine at a higher "boost" level.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:18 PM

TTT because I'm an archiver hehe .
Old 11-30-2001, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Dirty A and the Post
Old 11-30-2001, 01:28 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I remember this thread.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
I remember this thread.
Ari must be bored with all that snow around him
Old 11-30-2001, 01:31 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by SprintMax
Ari must be bored with all that snow around him
I hope you don't go doing the same thing.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

I hope you don't go doing the same thing.
no snow here.. and i am not bored
Old 11-30-2001, 01:35 PM
Keven97SE

Just for nostalgic purposes, I'll even chime in here and say howdy. Howdy, pawd-nuh!

Old 11-30-2001, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Just for nostalgic purposes, I'll even chime in here and say howdy. Howdy, pawd-nuh!
you know Ari brought up a post a couple days ago and your name popped up.. and i said.. must be old post because Keven doesn't post anymore..
Old 11-30-2001, 01:56 PM
Disco Biscuit

Steve, congrats. I would love to see some pics. And Vapors, Long time no see! Glad to see ya posting, and that the SMX is still around......
Old 11-30-2001, 01:56 PM

mmm intercooler, can't wait to do mine. Man it's gonna be awhile till march.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Whitemax
Steve, congrats. I would love to see some pics. And Vapors, Long time no see! Glad to see ya posting, and that the SMX is still around......
read the original post date
Old 11-30-2001, 02:04 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

read the original post date
Shhhhh........
Old 11-30-2001, 02:14 PM
Keven97SE

Nope, I really don't post, but then again why would I? No interesting upgrades or discussions, and I can't afford a new Altima or Maxima so why would I want to read about how much better those cars are than mine...boo hoo poor me. Although it's nice to see that some things never change...such as people buying a new car every 6-12 months, trying desperately to get attention on this forum, etc.

I've been drawn into the forum recently by the revelation of subframe connectors. Dammit, I might have to buy another mod.

you know Ari brought up a post a couple days ago and your name popped up.. and i said.. must be old post because Keven doesn't post anymore..

Old 11-30-2001, 02:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Glad to see you stil drop by now and then! I thought you and Wizeguy both had fallen off the Earth.

Nope, I really don't post, but then again why would I? No interesting upgrades or discussions, and I can't afford a new Altima or Maxima so why would I want to read about how much better those cars are than mine...boo hoo poor me. Although it's nice to see that some things never change...such as people buying a new car every 6-12 months, trying desperately to get attention on this forum, etc.

I've been drawn into the forum recently by the revelation of subframe connectors. Dammit, I might have to buy another mod.

Old 11-30-2001, 02:18 PM
Administrator

yes.. Engineering right?

give me your tranny

Old 11-30-2001, 03:47 PM

give me your tranny

VLSD envy.

Old 11-30-2001, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Lordrandall

VLSD envy.

VQVLSD envy..
Old 11-30-2001, 04:10 PM

VQVLSD envy..
VLSDIRS envy.....

Old 11-30-2001, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Lordrandall

VLSDIRS envy.....

VLSDBALANCEDTRUCKSUSPENSIONNOCAMBERADJUSTMENTBETTE RCORNERONFLATROADS Evny
Old 11-30-2001, 11:18 PM
Disco Biscuit

I AM SUCH AN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!