General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

So does disconnecting the battery reset the ECU or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 06:30 PM

So does disconnecting the battery reset the ECU or not?

Ok, first, If you gonna tell me to search, dont post. I've been on this board since the Andy days, and I dont think there ever was a definite conclusion on this topic.

When I first got my Stillen ypipe back then, I just disconnected the battery for couple hours, because everyone thought that did the trick. Believe it or not, no one knew about the turning dial of the ECU. I didnt even know there was an ECU down there. lol
Maybe Andy himself knew... hmmm.

anyways, I'm getting my budget ypipe like tomorrow and I dont wanna have to dig out my ECU and reset it. If disconnecting the battery will do the trick, that is so much better !!
Old 04-23-2002, 06:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: So does disconnecting the battery reset the ECU or not?

Originally posted by hokiemax
Ok, first, If you gonna tell me to search, dont post. I've been on this board since the Andy days, and I dont think there ever was a definite conclusion on this topic.

When I first got my Stillen ypipe back then, I just disconnected the battery for couple hours, because everyone thought that did the trick. Believe it or not, no one knew about the turning dial of the ECU. I didnt even know there was an ECU down there. lol

anyways, I'm getting my budget ypipe like tomorrow and I dont wanna have to dig out my ECU and reset it. If disconnecting the battery will do the trick, that is so much better !!
SEARCH!!

Just kidding.....honestly, after reading upteen posts for over a year about resetting the ECU, I just don't believe that the 'disconnect the battery' theory is 100% reliable. Go with the http://www.vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html version. That is the only proven 100% reliable method that I know of.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:48 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: So does disconnecting the battery reset the ECU or not?

Originally posted by hokiemax

1.) If I understand it correctly, disconnecting the batt. will reset the ECU - but it will take a long time, 2 days or so.

2.) Why are you getting a new Y-pipe if you have a Stillen?

3.) Why did you choose Budget? I'm asking because I recently decided on a WarpSpeed. I had several reasons. They give you all the hardware you need, they have a 4 year warranty, they actually make a CA emmissions Y-pipe, they actually respond back to my e-mails, they have a package price w/ a CarSound cat, etc.

4.) Not sure what you mean by 'dig out the ECU'. There's nothing to dig out! It's right there by your driver side feet, just two push snaps and a flathead dial turn away.

5.) Lastly, I really don't think you need to reset the ECU anyway. I think that's just a mith.

Hope I helped! Enjoy your pipe.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:21 PM

Ok, here is why I got budget pipe.

I sold my stillen pipe 1.5 years ago because I was gonna sell my car and I needed it to be stock. What happened? well, I didnt get to sell my car,,,,so I'm back to modding. I'm looking to get nitrous before summer hits.

I got budget because they give you free shipping, also comes with all the hardware you need, and gets here faster than warpspeed. I'm getting mine tomorrow, and I ordered mine 6 days ago. But the main reason was because it was cheaper. $175 for stainless steel, shipped to your door. Can't beat that. However, if I lived 30 min from warpspeed, I'd have just gotten that.

As for digging out the ecu, I looked at BrianV's faq, and I realized I dont have to "dig out" the ecu. my bad.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have disconnected the battery overnite a few times to clear mil lite and codes, it works but takes at least overnite from my experience. Doing it for a few hours the light came right back on.