General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Ok, i'm starting my engine project....

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 08:08 PM

Ok, i'm starting my engine project....

Hey guys,

I need some help with decisions and some numbers....

I'm buying a second engine and I'm going do the works to it. Some of you other guys have done this before. I just sold my 300ZX for 8000, and I got a job, so money is not an issue here....

Bore: What to use? Possibly about a 3.2L after the bore out?

Stroke: I want to stroke it to reach 3.5L, any ideas?

Compression Ratio: Possibly lower to run higher boost?

Boost: Maybe around 16psi, intercooled....? Whats the pulley size for that?

Ideas for Crank, Rods, Pistons?

Valve job ideas? I'm considering letting the place I will take it to, take care of that....

Extrude honing and port matching for intakes.....possibly part of head work....

Good brand of intercooler? Spearco, etc?

Anything else you guys think I would need??

Please dont post and tell me I need tranny...blah blah blah....I have everything....check http://screaminfast.tripod.com/mspecs.html

Thats my current spec....minus the AFC and turbotimer, that got stolen....

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-24-2002, 08:14 PM

www.car-part.com I found VQ35DE's for $1000-2500, it would provide a much better base for mods considering it has the VTC and variable capacity intake manifold. Or if you could call some engine import shops and order a JDM DET (VQ30DET). The engine itself would already be built for boost so all you have to do is swap everything over, in the long run it would be cheaper than building your VQ.
Old 04-24-2002, 08:18 PM

Possibly, but an engine swap with a VQ35DE would mean i have to replace everything from the engine bay to the back of the front seats....
Old 04-24-2002, 09:46 PM

No one wants to help me?!?
Old 04-25-2002, 07:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I wanted to do this...no funding. Don was working on this, maybe try contacting him?
Old 04-25-2002, 07:32 AM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

VQ30DET will cost you like $1800 or so which is what I got it will lower your compression from 10-1 to 9-1, but if I were you Id just get forged piston cause the differences are very little between the rest of the parts.
Old 04-25-2002, 07:36 AM
Administrator

You can only get up to 3.2 ..
Old 04-25-2002, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by TILLEYS99
VQ30DET will cost you like $1800 or so which is what I got it will lower your compression from 10-1 to 9-1, but if I were you Id just get forged piston cause the differences are very little between the rest of the parts.
Yea, thats what I want to do...Plus, I want to stay supercharged, so I will probably just go with forged aluminum pistons with 9:1 compression....That won't take away too much hp will it?

Sprint- I know I can get 3.2 out of an over-bore, but are there any stroker kits out there??

-Mike
Old 04-25-2002, 08:50 AM

Sceamfest, I've been planning on doing this myself. This is what I think would work out best. VQ35DE BLOCK. Forget out the VVT heads, if your supercharged they wont fit and It's too much work cause your gonna need an ECU, wiring harness, and your gonna run into immobilser issues. I would see about stronger rods, dished pistons(so you can raise the boost) having your stock heads worked(cams, larger valves, stronger springs) and this way you'll have an extra .5L displacement. I've been planning on how to do this for a while cause I almost had a totalled 5th gen 6spd. I was gonna do the motor and 6sp trans but it fell through.
If you need any help let me know, I just quit my job and I'm giving myself the summer off. I'm a mechanic so I have plent of tools. If your not too far from Long Island I'd like to check out the project while its underway.
Old 04-25-2002, 10:59 AM

Definitely....I'm up in Albany, NY, so its not too bad....I think the VQ35DE might be too expenive for the engine itself, whereas i can get the VQ30DE for 200-500 bucks.....

Something I forgot about originally:

Cams: Any ideas for duration/lift numbers, etc??

My first step is to get the engine, and bring it over to the place that I want to get it done at.....

We'll see how it goes from there....

-Mike
Old 04-26-2002, 06:27 AM

You can talk to Crower about a cam. They helped me choose the correct Lift, Duration, and Valve overlap on the last cam I had them custom make for me. Just give them the stock specs.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:04 AM
Administrator

its about time you told those lexus boys to shove it
Originally posted by maximus75
Sceamfest, I've been planning on doing this myself. This is what I think would work out best. VQ35DE BLOCK. Forget out the VVT heads, if your supercharged they wont fit and It's too much work cause your gonna need an ECU, wiring harness, and your gonna run into immobilser issues. I would see about stronger rods, dished pistons(so you can raise the boost) having your stock heads worked(cams, larger valves, stronger springs) and this way you'll have an extra .5L displacement. I've been planning on how to do this for a while cause I almost had a totalled 5th gen 6spd. I was gonna do the motor and 6sp trans but it fell through.
If you need any help let me know, I just quit my job and I'm giving myself the summer off. I'm a mechanic so I have plent of tools. If your not too far from Long Island I'd like to check out the project while its underway.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:09 AM

its about time you told those lexus boys to shove it
Got that right! The're nice cars but there SO damn boring. And its the same thing every day, oil changes, sevices, brakes, and maybe a divability prob but thats rare.
I'm workin on getting my own shop going. Then the fun begins!
Old 04-26-2002, 08:57 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I guess I don't understand dumping this kind of money into a motor for a Maxima. It would be one thing if these parts were already available (stroker, crank, heads, cams, forged pistons, etc), but their not. You're going to run into problem with aftermarket companies because they're not going to want to waste their time RDing parts for a Maxima. Cams will take a lot of R&D becuase it will take a lot of time finding the best lift and duration for the VQ plus finding a setup that can be used by the ECU that won't a code. "Cleaning" up the heads is always a good idea and relatively easy, but finding a shop that understands the VQ and it's flow characteristics is the problem. New pistons and shortened rods will be expensive, but can be done. I believe Don just went with a slightly taller head gasket and larger compression dome in the head to lower compression. If you get relly wild with a custom V, you'll need t odump the ECU and get a Haltech ECU which is expensive and will take a lot of tuning to get right.

IMO, I'd get a VQ30DET. We already know it fits under the hood. All you would have to do is modify the firewall for clearance. It's a factory turboed motor therefore it's already designed to handle boost. Wiring up the motor might be a small problem.

Dave
Old 04-26-2002, 11:07 AM

Not a bad idea, but i'm gonna see what people can do for me first....if i run into problems, i might have to take it back a step....

-Mike
Old 04-26-2002, 11:14 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Talk to TurboMax95, he's already been through all of this...
Old 04-26-2002, 11:33 AM

First thing though is if you can't get a tuned JWT/G-force ECU for your car go stand alone. The built engine would do no good if you don't have the proper engine management. There are several systems to choose from like Haltech, Motec, AEM EMS, Speed Pro, Electromotive (TEC-II or TEC-III). But if you were to get the DET all you'd have to do is swap the exhaust/intake manifolds over (I figure the DET doesn't have an EGR port on its IM). But 1 thing is for sure it is easier to swap motors than to build on. BTW if you do get a DET check the rod bearings. The reason is that most SR20DET's come with bearings that are in questionable shape and it is nothing to change them while the motor is out.
Old 04-26-2002, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by mtrai760
Talk to TurboMax95, he's already been through all of this...
Yeah, I believe he has some custom internal in his engine.
Old 04-26-2002, 12:52 PM

VQ30DET

can somebody please explain where this engine comes from? Is it from the skyline? also you guys say that it is built to handle boost, well does that mean it just has a lower compression ratio among other things? Or does it come with a turbo? just curious, thanks.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:33 PM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

The DET comes from a Y33 Cima (Q45) in japan it is not a simple install and no you dont need to move the firewall. You need to use your existing block upper and lower, intake manifold, timing cover, exhaust manifolds. so basically all you can use are the pistons crank rods and heads also the intake manifold but that would need to be cut and welded back to clear the hood. heres a link to the PA site where I have pics and info. http://www.pa-maximas.com/cgi-bin/ul...c;f=1;t=000003
Old 04-26-2002, 02:14 PM

is your project complete?

Originally posted by TILLEYS99
The DET comes from a Y33 Cima (Q45) in japan it is not a simple install and no you dont need to move the firewall. You need to use your existing block upper and lower, intake manifold, timing cover, exhaust manifolds. so basically all you can use are the pistons crank rods and heads also the intake manifold but that would need to be cut and welded back to clear the hood. heres a link to the PA site where I have pics and info. http://www.pa-maximas.com/cgi-bin/ul...c;f=1;t=000003
My brother is importing SR20DET's right now, and I'm sure he can import a VQ30DET, so I'm very interested in how your project is turning out.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:16 PM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

Re: is your project complete?

Originally posted by MikeyMax

My brother is importing SR20DET's right now, and I'm sure he can import a VQ30DET, so I'm very interested in how your project is turning out.
check it out on the PA site good luck getting the motor the SR20DET is easy to find good luck with the DET.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:10 PM

Tilley, is this motor alread installed in your car? Do you have pix?
Old 04-26-2002, 03:13 PM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

not yet I should have it in in about 2-3 weeks
Old 04-26-2002, 03:16 PM

Nice! I bet your excited. Make sure ya post pics!
Old 04-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

Originally posted by maximus75
Nice! I bet your excited. Make sure ya post pics!
I got some pics of the motor on PA maximas. And pics of some other goodies I got to go with it.
Old 04-26-2002, 04:49 PM

Yeah I was checkin them ou before Looks pretty good.
Old 04-26-2002, 05:39 PM

Hey ScreamingFast...

I don't think anyone mentioned it before, but the VQ35DE got its displacement increase from a greater bore and stroke. Because of this, you might not be able to stroke your VQ30DE all the way up to 3.5L. I figure if Nissan didn't do it, it was for a good reason. If it's possible though, you're going to need a totally custom crank, and I can't even imagine how much that would cost.
Anybody please correct me if I'm wrong on this next part:If you really don't want to get a VQ35DE you could possibly build your own with the VQ35DE crank, rods and pistons. This will get you up to 3.3L. For more details, check out the sticky in the 4th gen forum about a VQ33DE. The tough part is trying to bore the cylinders out for an increase of .2L. I don't know if anyone has done this part or not, however. If you do this though, I could pretty much guarantee it would cost more than just getting a VQ35DE.

The ball's in your court! Keep us updated!
Old 04-26-2002, 09:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am presently rebuilding my VQ30DE.
I am using the following components from the VQ30DET, stronger valve springs, and 9:1 pistons and rings. According to JWT, the rest of the internals on both engines are basically the same and it would be a waste of money to swap anything else! The important thing is to lower the compression ratio. As far as the rods, shot peening and fine polishing is all you need to do. The VQ30DE is a very solid engine and in the states it is very under tuned.
Old 04-27-2002, 02:41 AM

I've read that the VQ30DET has a much stronger crankshaft than the non turbo version..The Crank pins are supposedly thicker as are the bigger and of the Connecting rods.

MikeO

Originally posted by i30krab
I am presently rebuilding my VQ30DE.
I am using the following components from the VQ30DET, stronger valve springs, and 9:1 pistons and rings. According to JWT, the rest of the internals on both engines are basically the same and it would be a waste of money to swap anything else! The important thing is to lower the compression ratio. As far as the rods, shot peening and fine polishing is all you need to do. The VQ30DE is a very solid engine and in the states it is very under tuned.
Old 04-27-2002, 06:24 AM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

also has bigger injectors I think they a 370cc
Old 04-27-2002, 07:16 AM

Yea, why would I have to get the 9:1 DET pistons, when I could just as easily get say Arias, or JE 9:1 pistons, with a bore that I want??

I remember, that SteveInPhilly or something, who's engine went to MardiGrasMax, was an overbore to 3.2L......

And about swapping an engine is a lot easier than building one....Yes, I know that and that is what i'm doing....I'm getting a second VQ30DE, and having the second one rebuilt, and having the S/C put on the engine out of the car......then the whole thing dropped in.....w00t...

-Mike
Old 04-27-2002, 07:58 AM
Banned

Would it be feasible to get the max compression down to about 8:1? Someone was telling me on here a little while back that he is planing on doing a turbo setup but with a compression of about 8:1, does this sound right to you all?
Old 04-27-2002, 10:28 AM

8:1 seems a little low.....Do you think that would lose too much HP and it might not make up enough for it....I'm not quite sure.....I just figured dropping 1 point and running about 16psi, would be quite an increase of horsepower....

-Mike
Old 04-28-2002, 07:57 AM

Does anyone know where the stock numbers are? Say for bore and stroke and cams and other stuff?? If I can go to the companies with these numbers, they might be able to help me out in choosing what I would need to get??

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-28-2002, 10:53 PM

bump....doesn't anyone have the stock numbers?

-Mike
Old 05-07-2002, 08:29 PM

Well, I found a 97 Max engine with 81K miles on it for about 500 bucks....my dad is going to call and see if he can't get it for any cheaper.....is this a good deal?

Also, I could still use some recommendations for parts, etc....

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-07-2002, 11:17 PM

I did some searching and found over 75+ 2000 and newer VQ30DE's. The prices range from $1000-3000. Considering it has 30hp more than any USDM 4th gen it would be a better place to start. As far as other mods to doto the motor your going to have to do some R&D. With an extra motor you can find out alot about the VQ's capabilities. Also if you don't get any kind of cams installed/made I'm going to personally kick you in the groin j/k. .
Old 05-08-2002, 01:38 PM

In order to put the the 2000+ engine in, I'd have to replace everything from the engine to the back of the front seats.....including all electronics, which is a lot more money....

R&D on this is very hard, almost no has done this, and if they have, they obviously dont want to tell me about it....I mean look at this thread....its all me.....

Maybe they are scared that there might be another one....who knows.....

-Mike
Old 05-08-2002, 02:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

you know what you guys need to get... desktop dyno 2000 it has allows you to put in all the specs you want for virtually any engine... along with turbo and superchargers with custom specs... and view all the hp and tq curves... along with iterations of the differences in steps from stock to what you want... great prgm is like $40 at advance...

e-mail me for more info... btw i do have this prgm

Quick Reply: Ok, i'm starting my engine project....