General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Do you notice alot of vibration from lightweight wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 09:44 PM

Do you notice alot of vibration from lightweight wheels?

Ever since I've had my SSRs and Kumhos I've had a slight vibration. At first, it was a moderate vibration in the steering wheel. I took it to Sears and they rebalanced the wheels. The vibration subsided somewhat but relocated itself to the pedal to where I felt alot of vibration from the accelerator and floorboard and even all around in the cabin. Its not so bad that its obvious to everyone, but I notice it and my car was not like this before my wheel/tire upgrade. Ofcourse if it is a defect in one of the wheels, that will be solved when Sears replaces them Wednesday since they scratched them up. I certainly hope this isn't just a byproduct of low profile tires and lightweight wheels.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Do you notice alot of vibration from lightweight wheels?

Originally posted by Maximus1000
Ever since I've had my SSRs and Kumhos I've had a slight vibration. At first, it was a moderate vibration in the steering wheel. I took it to Sears and they rebalanced the wheels. The vibration subsided somewhat but relocated itself to the pedal to where I felt alot of vibration from the accelerator and floorboard and even all around in the cabin. Its not so bad that its obvious to everyone, but I notice it and my car was not like this before my wheel/tire upgrade. Ofcourse if it is a defect in one of the wheels, that will be solved when Sears replaces them Wednesday since they scratched them up. I certainly hope this isn't just a byproduct of low profile tires and lightweight wheels.
I do notice a lot of vibration in the steering wheel, but that might be caused by the extra-low profile tires of Sprint springs that were put on my car at about the same time. I do not think it was the balancing of tires, rather the increase is wheel size (and in my case decrease in overall diameter). Are you wheels any larger than stock? This could be a culprit. I wouldn't think that even though are wheels are forged and significantly harger, that the vibration would not be absorbed by the tire before it even hit the wheel. Maybe you should let your car run in neutral and see if you can notice the wheel physically moving any. Hope this helps,
Cyrus
Old 04-27-2002, 10:11 PM

Re: Re: Do you notice alot of vibration from lightweight wheels?

Originally posted by Vyrus

I do notice a lot of vibration in the steering wheel, but that might be caused by the extra-low profile tires of Sprint springs that were put on my car at about the same time. I do not think it was the balancing of tires, rather the increase is wheel size (and in my case decrease in overall diameter). Are you wheels any larger than stock? This could be a culprit. I wouldn't think that even though are wheels are forged and significantly harger, that the vibration would not be absorbed by the tire before it even hit the wheel. Maybe you should let your car run in neutral and see if you can notice the wheel physically moving any. Hope this helps,
Cyrus
The wheels are 17" by 8" so they are an inch wider. The tires are 235/45/17 vs 225/50/17 for stock. It kinda sucks, it seems like my car is old and decrepit!
Old 04-27-2002, 11:17 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Do you notice alot of vibration from lightweight wheels?

Originally posted by Maximus1000

The wheels are 17" by 8" so they are an inch wider. The tires are 235/45/17 vs 225/50/17 for stock. It kinda sucks, it seems like my car is old and decrepit!
Maybe your wheels arent centered on the hub correctly. I am assuming that you don't have hubcentric rings in the centerbore of the wheels.

Since you rely on the tuner style lugs to center your wheel you have to make sure those garage monkeys dont torque each lug down completely one at a time.
Old 04-28-2002, 01:04 AM

Yeah, I remember someone else telling me about hubcentric rings. I may call tirerack and see if I need those.
Old 04-28-2002, 10:42 AM

if you dont have the hub rings get them make sure they alloy/mag balance your wheels and that they ZERO on both sides. most places will do "static" (one strip of weights in the center or inner lip of the wheel) balance on the first try wich usually works about %70 of the time. in either case you should specify that you do not want your wheels to be counterbalanced, there should only be 1 weight per side.
Old 04-30-2002, 11:30 AM

I just recently received a new tire/rim package from the TireRack and I also appear to have a steering wheel vibration problem above 60mph. S/w with my rep at TireRack and he says:

"I'm excited to hear that you are pleased with the look of your wheel/tire package. I am, though, quite troubled by the vibration you are experiencing at >60mph. There are a lot of things to consider when this happens. First off, did the wheels fit hubcentricly? Are the centering rings a good snug fit with the hub? Can you isolate it to either side? Might a weight have been removed during transit?

Our mounting/balancing equipment is second to none, but rarely mistakes are made. If you feel the problem could be fixed by a local shop rebalancing the tires, go ahead and we'll pick up the bill".

I will troubleshoot 2day and see what happens.. I do have the hubcentric rings which I installed. I will also use the TireRack's Vibration Diagnosis Flow Chart:
Here is the link:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete.../vibechart.htm

Let me know if anybody has already resolved their vibration problem and how.....
Old 04-30-2002, 12:01 PM

If anything, there should be less vibration since it's easier for suspension to control the lighter wheel/tire combo (lower unsprung weight).
Old 04-30-2002, 02:27 PM
SLOW

My Kosei K1s and Toyo T1-Ss are perfectly balance. I have noticed no vibration whatsoever, from 0-140mph. I was quite amazed, as every other set of plus-sized wheels I've ever owned has had significant vibration compared to stock. My current ones have none and I'm thrilled.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:39 PM
Banned

I have no vibration at all on my 18's. I have hubcentric rings though.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:22 PM

where can i get more info on this hubcentric ring? i have 18s and i am not sure if i have them. i am also experiencing some viberations. thx.

charlie
Old 04-30-2002, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
If anything, there should be less vibration since it's easier for suspension to control the lighter wheel/tire combo (lower unsprung weight).
Having lower unsprung weight is always a good thing (which I achieved with the SSR GT1s even with going from 225/50s to 245/40s ) but it means practically nothing if the rims are not centered on the hub...

p.s. OEM 17x7 tire/rim combo- 48.5 pounds
SSR GT1s w/ S0-3 245/40/18- 47.0 pounds......
Old 04-30-2002, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by CharlieNewbieMax
where can i get more info on this hubcentric ring? i have 18s and i am not sure if i have them. i am also experiencing some viberations. thx.

charlie
Who did you buy your rims from? Did you do the install yourself?
Pull a rim and look to see if there is a removable ring in the center of your rim...there may also be a retaining ring (circular wire) in front of the hubcentric ring to help keep it in place.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:33 PM

The new replacement rims will be in tomorrow at Sears so I'll be sure to look for the hubcentric rings and everything else mentioned.
Old 04-30-2002, 05:23 PM
SLOW

You don't need hubcentric rings if your wheel has the correct centerbore for your car. Most manufacturers save money by making one centerbore and then giving you the little plastic hubcentric rings to take up the slack, rather than making different centerbores for each application.
Old 04-30-2002, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
You don't need hubcentric rings if your wheel has the correct centerbore for your car. Most manufacturers save money by making one centerbore and then giving you the little plastic hubcentric rings to take up the slack, rather than making different centerbores for each application.
But how do you know if the centerbore is perfect for your car?
-Cyrus
Old 05-01-2002, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by Vyrus

But how do you know if the centerbore is perfect for your car?
-Cyrus
exactly wat i have in mind...i am sure i don't have the hubcentric ring.
Old 05-01-2002, 10:47 AM
SLOW

If the centerbore hole fits snugly on the hub with little or no play, you don't need hubcentric rings. Honestly the only wheels I've ever seen that have fit like this are Mugen wheels, because they are only made for Hondas, and have only a few different centerbore sizes to deal with. I have a feeling that manufacturer specific wheels are most likely to be produced like this. Mazdaspeed, Nismo, Mugen, possibly Spoon, etc.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
My 19 inch oz's came with very nice metal hubcentric rings which i used. Ive had the car up to 180km with no vibration whatsoever.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had vibration on one 17" MHT wheel that i had on my old 97. But on the 19's RE Z5000 i have none. As a matter of fact they ride smoother than the oem