General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

91-92 maxima timing belt broken?? Need some experiance help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 04:13 PM
KatieBird

91-92 maxima timing belt broken?? Need some experiance help

As I gently increased speed onto the freeway, my car quite with out any fanfare like noise or jerk,just silently died.
I pulled the distrib cap off and tried to turn the rotor by hand but it remained solid, will not rotate by hand!.
Then I removed 3 of timing cover bolts to "Seek-A-Peek"
I found oil spots here and there and a belt that I could not lift off the pulley (teeth below holding???) however the belt seemed a bit loose but as I say not loose enought to lift, it will slide side to side very easiely,(due to the oily surfaces or broken below???)
Moving from the front of the engine and cam pulley (where I just discribed checking the belt) to the middle of the cover (top)
I pried the timing cover apart a bit so I could try and feel for the belt, I found using a long thin screw driver that the belt was there. Putting a load on on the belt it would depresse 1/2 inch or better.
I forgot to mention an important point: The enginge does not turn over it simply spins FAST! The valves do not move nor does the timing belt.

This is what I found what does it mean? Of course the timing belt is highly suspect and the distributer may not be. What is throwing me off is why the belt , if it is broken doesnt just come out, the teeth below or it is not the belt.??

My questions are:
1.What do you think?
2.If it is the belt, I have been told that in this model it is a 100% given that the valves are bent. Is this true? or is someone tring to get an expencive repair.
3. Are there anyother possibilities as to the problem.
Thank you for helping??

Old 04-28-2002, 09:14 PM

My uncle's belt broke about 4 months ago and he just had the mechanic put a new belt on and his car was fine. I guess it depends on rpm and load. For right now the only thing to do is put on a new belt + tensioner, camshaft/crankshaft oil seals and hope it starts.
Old 04-29-2002, 12:14 AM
KatieBird

Re: 91-92 maxima timing belt broken?? Need some experiance help

Thank you for the report on his experiance.
KatieBird

Old 04-29-2002, 12:19 AM

It all depends on whether the VG engine is an "interference-type" engine. If it is...then the pistons will come in contact with the valves in the event that the timing belt breaks. I hope this is not the case for your sake. I'm sorry I can't provide anymore knowledge, I know the VQ series engines much better.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:40 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
It all depends on whether the VG engine is an "interference-type" engine. If it is...then the pistons will come in contact with the valves in the event that the timing belt breaks. I hope this is not the case for your sake. I'm sorry I can't provide anymore knowledge, I know the VQ series engines much better.
interference engine - yes
valves bent - maybe...some cases nothing bends..some cases all of them go.
VQ - uses a T-chain...not a belt...not something that's "better" per se..but it's less mainteance.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:49 AM

I believe the single overhaead cam engine with a distributer is not an interferance engine. Sounds like the teeth on the belt let go at the crank. Do as Nismo said. Belt , tensioners, and seals.
Old 04-29-2002, 08:04 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by maximus75
I believe the single overhaead cam engine with a distributer is not an interferance engine. Sounds like the teeth on the belt let go at the crank. Do as Nismo said. Belt , tensioners, and seals.
:ahem:
the 89-94 VG30E motors are interference engines.

the VG motors in the nissan quest and the mercury villager are not.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by DanNY

:ahem:
the 89-94 VG30E motors are interference engines.

the VG motors in the nissan quest and the mercury villager are not.
Strange, I was told VE's are interferance and VG's are not. I didn't know there was a difference in the Quest and Max VG's but id you say so.