General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What's the benefits of a Velocity Stack & CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2000, 07:59 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

thinkin of adding a new filter to the CAI to increase the high-tech power band from dropping so fast..

just curious from those who have the CAI if they swapped to a filter with a velocity stack and if there was any benefitted from it....

or maybe a filter with a double sided intake design (u know, so it's a cone outside then an inverted cone inside..
Old 11-27-2000, 08:07 PM

you need velocity stack

if you do not have enough space to 'smooth up' the flow..
I think the CAI has long enough piping that the flow should be smooth enough before entering the intake..
ok
I might be wrong
the Popcharger is short...going from 6 inch to 3 inch in a very short distance....the VS should help there to smooth up the flow...
again...I might be wrong...
but that is my theory and I am sticking to it till some one could give me a better answer
hehehehe
=]
Old 11-27-2000, 08:14 PM

doesn't the CAI have a velocity stack to begin with?

i installed my JWT pop charger last week and am currently enjoying the sound and added response it brings. its really loud at upper RPM ranges. however, its barely even audible at less than 1/2 throttle. i don't see it outperforming the CAI though, but i've heard 1 or 2 testimonials that the pop charger might actually be better at high RPM. by the way, how is the development on the 97 ecu's going? is the group deal really going to work?
Old 11-27-2000, 08:16 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Re: doesn't the CAI have a velocity stack to begin with?

yeah. the deal is going. just a while to get things rolling.. we're still contemplating on the rev limiter coding...

Originally posted by VQdriver
i installed my JWT pop charger last week and am currently enjoying the sound and added response it brings. its really loud at upper RPM ranges. however, its barely even audible at less than 1/2 throttle. i don't see it outperforming the CAI though, but i've heard 1 or 2 testimonials that the pop charger might actually be better at high RPM. by the way, how is the development on the 97 ecu's going? is the group deal really going to work?
Old 11-28-2000, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by Chebosto
thinkin of adding a new filter to the CAI to increase the high-tech power band from dropping so fast..

just curious from those who have the CAI if they swapped to a filter with a velocity stack and if there was any benefitted from it....

or maybe a filter with a double sided intake design (u know, so it's a cone outside then an inverted cone inside..
I remember that cattman used to sell the CAI with the jwt adapter for those that bought a JWT before. Also another cause for the loss in topend power might be that the CAI's diameter is too big. I was thinkng maybe putting a 2.5" tubing from the cone filter to the MAF and leave the piping from the MAF to TB 3". I do know that even though my CAI was 3" from cone to MAF, my tubing from MAF to TB was stock 60mm (2.5"). It might have caused some kind of resonace effect which gave me such a power increase. But then again my powerband was 4250-5300rpm where as yours is 4600-6000rpm.