General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I'm lower!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 07:36 AM

I'm lower!

I installed my new suspension yesterday. Sprint springs and KYB AGX struts with new KYB dust boots. The springs came fedex, the AGX came UPS and the boots came USPS. Ironically the boots arrived yesterday just as I was gettin ready to assemble the assemblies. I did the install completely solo, with the aid of an air ratchet and impact wrench to compress the springs. Now my fingers and hands hurt from them being pinched and scraped.

The new KYB dust boots are awesome. They are a very pliable material that hopefully wont deteriorate like the OEM ones did, and they alraedy come with shortened bumpstops, probably to the minimum the KYB struts can take.

I did some test driving on it last night. Yup its a different animal alright. Fronts set at 3/4 and rears at 6/8 for the time being. Definately need an alignment. Its great, feels like drivin a sports car except for the FWD part. Once in a while I could get the front wheels to come up off the ground. For those with AGX's, what are your settings? Particularly if you have alot of stuff in the trunk like me.

One thing is interesting though the car feels like it accelerates alot more fiercly then it did before. Even with the OEM Y pipe. It might just be my perception cause there isnt any nose lift on take off. Just about everything has improved. Braking, cornering, accelerating.

The lowering looks good too. The front drop is about perfect. The rear is a bit higher but that is what I wanted. It should come down after it breaks in some.

On my way to return the air compressor to my friends house I hitched up the trailer and threw it on the back. The car tows the trailer a ton better then it did before. Before the back would sink down and the front would lift up, and then when moving the trailer would send shockwaves thru the car. The stiff suspension really helped to keep the trailer in check. It was almost unnoticeable that I had a trailer in tow.

Few bugs to work out. Now my muffler bangs my trailer hitch alot now. Its a pain in the *****. It also sounds like my rear sway bar is making groaning noises when I drive over a curb'd driveway. Damn, and I just put in another thread that I've had no trouble.

Oh yeah, I did NOT wrap the coils in any aftermarket tubing (I did have the OE polyurethane isolaters in place). Not only did I forget, i didnt have any problem with noise when i lowered my old camry with KYB GR2 and Intrax. So far, no problem with spring noise.
Old 05-04-2002, 08:06 AM

Air tools and impact wrench?! Cheater!

Sounds good .. I installed my Eibachs just the other week and I didn't wrap em either. No noticable noises either. I woulda thought sprints would have a higher chance at being noiser buuut ...

Anyway, congrats
Old 05-04-2002, 07:31 PM

just curious as to why you spent money on suspension when the tranny has been falling apart and you were planning on getting rid of the car?
Old 05-05-2002, 07:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Maximan190
just curious as to why you spent money on suspension when the tranny has been falling apart and you were planning on getting rid of the car?
I thought he was "giving the Maxima another chance"?

Oh well glad to hear it worked out eric, only 1 complaint in this whole thread! As for the rear, it won't come down with settling. The trailed might make it sit level though! As for the muffler, maybe you can get it tucked in a little? And I also noticed a lot better accleration, and I think it is because of the positions where the front sits lower than the rear. BTW your AGX settings are very harsh, search around people have not been setting them that high except for the track and such.
-Cyrus
Old 05-05-2002, 07:09 AM

The Sprint/AGX is a really nice setup. I've had it for about 3 weeks now and I love it. It's a little bumpy, but really not bad at all. Plus the performance makes up for it.

Right now I have my AGX on 2 in the fronts and 4 in the rears, but I still haven't played around with the settings so I don't know what it's like on different settings.

Later,
-Nick
Old 05-05-2002, 07:11 AM

Ericdwong can't bear to give up his Maxima ...

It's a good thing, he's contributed in a big way to the tranny FAQ! Now, we'll wait for something else to go and I'm sure he'll devote a lifetime to figuring out why it failed, and let us know.

You know anyone else who freezes their tranny internals?

Eric, keep doing what you're doing