General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Why WOULDN'T you drop your car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 08:12 PM
Cumalittle

lemme just sai this...my bro has a 3rd gen camry v6...92-96 i think...i have 4th gen...stock for stock....my max is lower then his camry.....but his wheel gap is by far less then my max...ericdwong...ur comment on the max sitting high when not lowered is untrue...that is just a disception of the big a$$ wheel gap...i am now lowered with eibach/agx...now i am def lower then my bro's camry...yet my wheel gap is now the same as my bro's camry wheel gap...my ride is harsher...his is smooth...he wanted to cut his springs...i said don't do that....cuz ur ride will be bumpy as hell...he was cheap and did not want to listen...so he cut his springs...1 1/2 coils...only has 1 maybe 2 finger wheel gap....but his ride is still smooth....almost as smooth as stock...i was amazed...anyway...after he cut his springs...we are about the same height off the ground but mine LOOKS higher due to wheel gap...just to let ya'll knoe...the max does not sit high at all...we have big wheel gaps that make it look like we are sitting high...and this is a FACT!!!

Old 05-07-2002, 08:47 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Lowering any car is a compromise. Lowering a car reduces wheel travel, adds road noise, adds harshness, increases suspension bind, and screws suspension geometry. I've had Suspension Techniques springs (1.6" drop) and currently Intrax (solid 2" drop). I love the dropped look and the increased handling, reduced nose dive, etc. The car is slightly noiser and there is harshness over big bumps however my car doesn't ride much worse than my wife's stock 98 Legacy GT wagon or any late model 4X4 pickup/SUV truck I've driven. My 94 Z28 rode worse than my lowered Maxima does. I live in Kansas City and the roads are far from ideal. After 3 years of lowering, my car hasn't grown into a creaking nightmare. My car is still very solid and hardly rattles unless a large bump or pothole is encounterd. An unlowered 4th gen Maxima just looks way too high. Very few stock sedan sit as high as the 4th gen Maxima. It's almost funny looking. With my Intrax drop (2" gap in the front and 1.2 inch in the back), my car never ceases to amaze in the looks department. It's a 6 year-old car and it turns heads all the time. I get more looks in this car than I ever did in my red Z28.

Dave
Old 05-07-2002, 09:31 PM
† ErV †

one damn good reason...

Speed bumps.

another reason.. car+friends+speed bumps = bad

lowered car and speed bumps.. ? need i really elaborate. Some people think everybody has that perfect atlanta highway. wrong.

ps. that's where i got my nick from.. because the local roads are a pofs.

Old 05-07-2002, 09:59 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SLC I30t
now come on, which do you think really attracted the attention? I'm telling you, unless your are tucking your tires. You can't really tell that a maxima is lowered. Of course an enthusiast is going to pick up on it earlier because they have an explicit interest. I'm sure the blue lights are the dead giveaway not the 1.5 inch drop.
The bulbs were in the front and most of the time the person is rolling up from behind, so most likely the lowered body is the first thing that catches the riceboys' attention. Its been quiet for the past 2 months for him (since returning to stock).

At any rate, before I had interest in a Maxima (thus purchasing it), even I could spot a lowered Maxima.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The lowered Maximas you guys are spotting I'm sure have a 2" drop or greater. My H&Rs dropped my ~1.5" I Definitely noticed the 1st day, and during that week. But the next week, though I had to be parked next to a stock Maxima to really appreciate the drop.

DW
Old 05-08-2002, 06:00 AM

Love the looks of a lowered Max, but:
1) Winters in Vermont/Maine
2) Roads in NYC-FDR & 2nd Ave for example

Hey, NYC roads are better than Boston, New Orleans, Los Angeles, and Detroit ?
Old 05-08-2002, 11:52 AM

riding in a stock height max is like riding in a bus
Old 05-28-2002, 08:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why WOULDN'T you drop your car?

Originally posted by craaaazzy
try driving in new orleans...worst roads i've been on so far.

Try L.A. they have speed bumps on the freeway.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:27 PM
Sports Button FTW

well, being that i'm 6'2", 260 pounds, i'm not too flexible and its hard enough getting in and out of my car....lowering it will only make it worst...

plus i'm too scared of banging it up on driveway when entering....
Old 05-29-2002, 08:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by meccanoble
well, being that i'm 6'2", 260 pounds, i'm not too flexible and its hard enough getting in and out of my car....lowering it will only make it worst...

I'm 6'5 and 220.. imagine trying to watch me get out of my car.. it's really funny every once in awhile i have to lunge out.. and then getting in is a creative fall to the seat..

I like looks.. and to me, tucking some tire and having your cars body sit a couple inches off the ground looks amazing, so what if i cant make it over speed bumps or my undercarriage is all oogly and scratched up.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:35 AM

well..

the roads in atlanta are fine....so thats why im upgrading from eibachs to coilovers

albert W
Old 05-29-2002, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by 2DMax
Love the looks of a lowered Max, but:
1) Winters in Vermont/Maine
2) Roads in NYC-FDR & 2nd Ave for example

Hey, NYC roads are better than Boston, New Orleans, Los Angeles, and Detroit ?
Not by much. TRIP says the next three worst city roads following Detroit are New York, San Jose, and San Francisco.

TRIP
Old 05-29-2002, 12:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why WOULDN'T you drop your car?

Originally posted by bags533

I thought everyone liked the way the car seems to "drift" at hiway speeds

REASON #1 I have eibach's/agx's.. smooth highway ride. I also live in atlanta and the roads suck.

Funny thing about that, pay attention to the road and you can avoid most stuff there

OR: memorize where those bumps are on your wayt to work, heheh
Old 05-29-2002, 12:38 PM
I'm so hood

Please enlighten me as I cannot picture myself driving an unlowered car for any reason.
Hehe...with your lust for lowerage and complete disgust at anything in a car designed poorly/working parts failing before the car hits 200k miles, I think the only safe bet you have free of frustration would be a Bigwheel®.

I myself am not one for lowering a car. Wasn't when I had my G2 integra (it handled just fine to me, and the ride quality was poor enough), and don't plan on lowering the Max. I mean, if you bought the Maxima thinking it was going to own the local autox circuit, I think you got the wrong car. Of course, some people like everything about the Max and just want it to ride a little less floaty, which is very understandable and reasonable to me. Looks-wise, bleh....you don't want to hear my thoughts on the guys that go around with a microruler measuring to make sure that they've eliminated every last nanometer of wheel gap. Then again I'm function over form, so what do I know?
Old 05-29-2002, 02:35 PM

Winter!

Out of four pages of discussion, only one other person (2DMax) mentioned winter. Half of the country gets snow in the winter, it should be no surprise that snow is a reason some people don't lower. The idea of losing 1.5" or 2.0" of clearance when there's 5" of slop on the ground is what's stopping me from lowering.

If I do anything to my suspension, it will be to add KYB's or Koni's to take away some of the float. Maybe SFC's will help too, who knows. So far the FSTB and RSB have done little to eliminate the problem.

Regards,
TOM
Old 05-29-2002, 02:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by meccanoble

I'm 6'1", 245 pounds and there is very little discomfort getting in and out with my KYB AGX / H&R setup (Although any lower might be uncomfortable). The slight discomfort is far outweighed by the ride quality though.