General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

2 Dealers gave 2 different answers about changing Transmission Fluid!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 01:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2 Dealers gave 2 different answers about changing Transmission Fluid!

One Nissan Dealer told me I should have my trans fluid flushed on my 99 Maxima. Another dealer told me the flush will do no good because my car has a SCREEN, not a Filter, so he says only a drain and refill is needed. I guess I'll call a third dealer and see what they say! What do you guys think?
Old 05-08-2002, 01:53 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Re: 2 Dealers gave 2 different answers about changing Transmission Fluid!

Flush.

Originally posted by paul2112
One Nissan Dealer told me I should have my trans fluid flushed on my 99 Maxima. Another dealer told me the flush will do no good because my car has a SCREEN, not a Filter, so he says only a drain and refill is needed. I guess I'll call a third dealer and see what they say! What do you guys think?
Old 05-08-2002, 02:00 PM

Flush, if the tranny has never been serviced before and the mileage is higher than 30K. If the car has been serviced before you may be okay with just the drain and refill. If you wan't to do it yourself you can do several drain and refills and end up with similar results. Ideas on how to do this have been discussed here recently, so you could search if you're interested.
Old 05-10-2002, 01:23 PM

Re: 2 Dealers gave 2 different answers about changing Transmission Fluid!

I agree with iwannabmw.

My '97 was ~40k when I did a flush at Jiffy Lube using their Pennzoil synthetic blend ATF. I couldn't find a shop who is willing to use my own Redline D4 ATF. The minute I left Juffy Lube, I immidiately feel the difference. The car ran smoother.

Then ~5k later, I bought a tranny pan gasket, went to the shop I always go to, and ask them to drop the tranny pan to clean it, and change the gasket. They put in ~3.5 quarts of Redline.

Two weeks ago, I went to Oilchanger and use the Evac 7000 to change the fluid, they change 3 quarts!!! Warning: never go to that shop again!!! (different story)

Now, my car run very smooth....

Originally posted by paul2112
Old 05-10-2002, 02:05 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

What you should do is answered in this post:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=100060
Old 05-10-2002, 02:11 PM

A flush is a waste of money if you know how to do a drain and fill yourself. When doing a drain and fill the important part is adding the right amount and checking the level properly. After doing a couple drain fill intervals you could then start doing a drain and fill with synthetic. There is no need to do immediate consecutive drain and fills but the first two should be done within a couple weeks. When you do a drain and fill you only get around 50-60% out at a time, this is why I reccomend that you do at least two drain and fills. Currently I'm using Royal Purple ATF (got mine through carparts.com bought a case and got the twelvth one free) but I bought the case b/c I did the valve body upgrade at the time and also added a tranny cooler.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

How many miles do you have on your transmission?

Look at Bills spreadsheet to get an idea of how long the fluid is good for.

Is the fluid clear and red, or is it dark and burned smelling?

If the fluid is really dark you probably don't want to flush it as you may loosen particles of dirt and jam the tiny orifices and valves in the transmission.

Otherwise go ahead and flush it. If you can, find someone who has a flush machine that works with the pan removed, that way you'll get the metal filings removed from the magnets on the bottom of the pan.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:32 PM

If I remember right (I need to find that file), the total capacity of 4th gen tranny is ~10 quarts. When you do drain and refill, I think ~3.5 quarts come out. So, ~35% each time when you do a drain and refill. Even when my mechanic drop the tranny fluid pan, it was about the same.

I like flush because it will be a total change for once. When you do a drain and refill, you are mixing the old fluid with the new one. Yes, eventually it will make change all the ATF, but with longer process.

Like I said, I couldn't find one store willing to use my own fluid, so I had to go a longer way. Otherwise, I will just do a flush with Redline. I didn't find out there are forum members who offer cost at Amsoil, otherwise I might try that. Besides, I bought 10 quarts of Redline from another member for $50, which is a price that's hard to refuse.

Originally posted by eric93SE
A flush is a waste of money if you know how to do a drain and fill yourself. When doing a drain and fill the important part is adding the right amount and checking the level properly.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Like I said, I couldn't find one store willing to use my own fluid, so I had to go a longer way. Otherwise, I will just do a flush with Redline. I didn't find out there are forum members who offer cost at Amsoil, otherwise I might try that. Besides, I bought 10 quarts of Redline from another member for $50, which is a price that's hard to refuse.
Yes, I use Redline also, Great stuff. I noticed much crisper shifting after putting the stuff in. It can tolerate much higher temperatures and therefore will not breakdown like Dino ATF.

Here is a link which was written for the professional shop owner but still very informative, about Transmission flushing.

http://www.autotruck.net/ms/archives...600/0600tf.asp