General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hacking coils off of aftermarket springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 02:55 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by JAY25
As someone posted above no manufacture will tell not to cut them!!!not true, I called two companies and one of them told me your not happy with the spring cut them. I called twice they told me again cut them. Intrax told me cut one coil off in the front and walked me thru it. Nothing bad will happen just cut them, I dont regret cutting my intrax and none of the other guys above to include maxima of the month he has cut eibachs. That should answer your question and keep in mind he made Max of the month. Go cut them and make another post and give us feed back. My car rides just fine EXCEPT when I hit a pothole.
DanNY, you got me with that installed the stillen side pieces backwards!!!good joke but after 5 secs of thinking about it, I said wait I read on the bottom left and right hehehe. Also you should have got some PMs or emails for more pullies for the S/Cers not from me from other members that have PMed me or emailed me.

Should that be the case, no one should use Intrax springs. Either they do no R&D on their products, or don't have any liability insurance.

If someone in the legal or accounting departments knew of this "recommendation", the engineers and tech support people would be dope slapped in a hurry.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Should that be the case, no one should use Intrax springs. Either they do no R&D on their products, or don't have any liability insurance.

If someone in the legal or accounting departments knew of this "recommendation", the engineers and tech support people would be dope slapped in a hurry.
Or they DID do their R&D seeing how they even walked him thru the steps on how to chop the springs. I guess all the other manufacturers should get liability insurance as well when they tell people to chop the bumpstops.

I do have another reason why NOT to chop them- it will void the lifetime warranty and significantly affect its resale value.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:16 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Cutting factory springs = bad

Cutting a dead coil off a set of aftermarket springs = completely fine

Too many of you are confusing factory springs with aftermarket springs. If it's a dead coil, you can cut it off. Eibach, INtrax, Suspension Techniques ALL say you can cut off the dead coil if you want. The ONLY purpose it serves is to keep you from bottoming out the strut. The dead coil is dead ALL the time. The spring doesn't stretch on the rebound as some of you are posting. Think about it, fellas.

Dave
Old 05-09-2002, 05:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Dave B
Cutting factory springs = bad

Cutting a dead coil off a set of aftermarket springs = completely fine

Too many of you are confusing factory springs with aftermarket springs. If it's a dead coil, you can cut it off. Eibach, INtrax, Suspension Techniques ALL say you can cut off the dead coil if you want. The ONLY purpose it serves is to keep you from bottoming out the strut. The dead coil is dead ALL the time. The spring doesn't stretch on the rebound as some of you are posting. Think about it, fellas.

Dave
THANK you, that's what I've been trying to say all along.

BTW H&R springs for Hondas specify explicitly to NOT cut the bumpstops except on one certain Civic and Prelude application.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:22 PM

So who wants to help me cut a coil of each of my rear sprints????
Old 05-10-2002, 12:08 AM

The coil will not become unseated like Dave B stated. The jounce of the suspension will not stretch the springs upward high enough. Not trying to change the subject but, ground control coil overs have several inches of play when the suspension is lifted. Would you also argue that they may "unseat"? even the instructions say that you have to "seat" the springs on the collars when you lower the vehicle back down off the jack.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:44 AM
FJC

Who says you can't cut springs??? Do wahtever you want,,,