General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Any recommendations for a good electric impact wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 06:17 AM

Any recommendations for a good electric impact wrench?

I've had it.... I will not compress anymore springs without a drill or an impact wrench.. And I will not rotate anymore tires or do brake work without one.

I've done some research, but many of these electric impact wrenches seem to be too weak do do anything useful on cars.. They can be used to make a deck or do woodwork though..

but I know some of us have strong enough electric ones....

What do you recommend??? I want to spend less than $150.. hopefully..
Old 05-10-2002, 06:36 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dewalt's is really nice. My dad can get them from work, so I use it whenever I work on my car.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1290

A little more than you're looking to spend, but worth it in my mind.
Old 05-10-2002, 06:46 AM

Yeah, that looks good man !

So you've used that one, right? And it is strong enough? Say if you were installing the Apexi WS catback, would the bolts come off with the Dewalt?
Old 05-10-2002, 06:50 AM
ejj

Re: Yeah, that looks good man !

Originally posted by hokiemax
So you've used that one, right? And it is strong enough? Say if you were installing the Apexi WS catback, would the bolts come off with the Dewalt?
Oh yeah, easy. I use it to take lugs off, suspension, exhaust, you name it.

The only problem is that they're big. Its tight to get an electric impact wrench into some places for stuff like exhaust. I often find that hand tools are easier.

But I've never come across a bolt that I couldn't get loose with this thing. If you don't wanna go the air tools route, its a good investment.

Oh, don't tighten with this thing...you could easily strip threads if you aren't careful. I always tighten stuff by hand.
Old 05-10-2002, 06:54 AM

ok !!! I'm ordering as soon as my new checkcard comes in!!!

I wanna order this right now!!! but I lost my checkcard. I hve the check card's number and all that, but the bank disabled it because they're gonna send me a new one...

Can't wait to get one of these!! and if you are in northern virginia area and want to borrw this sucker, be my guest !
I already have all the 1/2" sockets and stuff too.
Old 05-10-2002, 06:59 AM
ejj

Re: ok !!! I'm ordering as soon as my new checkcard comes in!!!

I wanna order this right now!!! but I lost my checkcard. I hve the check card's number and all that, but the bank disabled it because they're gonna send me a new one...

Can't wait to get one of these!! and if you are in northern virginia area and want to borrw this sucker, be my guest !
I already have all the 1/2" sockets and stuff too.
One warning. I did this 'cause I'm a moron.

This (and most) impact wrenches has a detent ball in the drive to help ensure that the socket stays on the wrence under high load situations. If your sockets have a hole for that ball, and you line them up, you cannot pull the socket off by hand. I tried for like 10 minutes once.

You have to stick something (screwdriver) into the hole in the socket and press the detent ball down.

Old 05-10-2002, 07:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: ok !!! I'm ordering as soon as my new checkcard comes in!!!

I got a Dewalt, to be honest with you to loosen nuts, it will first somewhat start stripping them before loosening them, the thing has no Cojones, no strength. I had to use a breaker bar to loosen the 17, 18, 19MM bolts and nuts. The newer dewalts have more torque then the one I have. I got lucky and paid only $85 for this one from ebay. It does come in handy for compressing springs and taking long bolts but be careful you dont strip anything because it will strip a bolt or nut very fast.
Old 05-10-2002, 08:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: ok !!! I'm ordering as soon as my new checkcard comes in!!!

Originally posted by JAY25
I got a Dewalt, to be honest with you to loosen nuts, it will first somewhat start stripping them before loosening them, the thing has no Cojones, no strength. I had to use a breaker bar to loosen the 17, 18, 19MM bolts and nuts. The newer dewalts have more torque then the one I have. I got lucky and paid only $85 for this one from ebay. It does come in handy for compressing springs and taking long bolts but be careful you dont strip anything because it will strip a bolt or nut very fast.
Is the one you have Dewalt 290? It says the 290 series have like 280 ft/lbs of torque, and I'm thinking that's a whole lot, because as you know, the nuts on the tires are around only 80 ft/lbs..

Old 05-10-2002, 09:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: ok !!! I'm ordering as soon as my new checkcard comes in!!!

Is the one you have Dewalt 290? It says the 290 series have like 280 ft/lbs of torque, and I'm thinking that's a whole lot, because as you know, the nuts on the tires are around only 80 ft/lbs..

Thats the one I have the DW290 I just checked it, no the nuts off my wifes galant wheels did not come off I had to use the breaker bar and push on it myself. Is a handy tool and saves you time so for $85 I am not even complaining. Just dont expect for it to remove major items such as a flywheel or the big 24MM nuts that hold the shaft in place and so on..it will not have enough torque to remove those.