General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Looks like my car will be totaled...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 01:16 PM

Looks like my car will be totaled...

The Metropolitan claims adjuster said my car [without mods] is worth $5,500. (I have 194,000 miles on it.) He estimated the cost of repair would be over $8,500. It's in a bad way...

I gave him a list of my mods, all of which have been purchased and installed within the last 4 years. The value of the parts alone, no labor nor freight charges included, exceeds $12,000. I also mentioned standard maintenance items, like the battery, the alternator, and my starter had all been replaced within the last 2 years. My tranny was just rebuilt, too. The car was in terrific shape!

He took all that paperwork, with a copy of the accident report, and forwarded them to his main office in Charlotte, NC. He told me again the car would more than likely be totaled out; however, he did not have a clue what they would decide about all my mods...

It looks like the best I can do is get a fair settlement, and wave goodbye to the wreck that just 2 weeks ago was poised to break into the 13's on my next trip to the track!

Hmmm... How much do those 350Z's cost...?
Old 05-12-2002, 02:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sorry to hear that man! That really sucks. I hope they give you what you payed for all those mods. They never pay you close to what the car is worth in sentimental value. Are you going to get another Maxima? Take care.
Old 05-12-2002, 02:11 PM

damn...sorry to hear about that man ...i hope you get most of your mod investments back...and that is what ****es me off the most about totaled cars...the value that could be acheived from the car is far more than the insurance company will ever be able to give, because there would still be so many more years left on a good condition car, but not much you can do to fight the system...anyways, good luck
Old 05-12-2002, 02:35 PM

$12,000 in mods? what was the most expensive?
Old 05-12-2002, 02:50 PM
Sports Button FTW

i'm sorry to hear that man...maybe i can soothen your pain by buying your transmission along with a few other parts having to do wit conversion? i have a 95 max and located in NJ...i know u in TN...if junkyard takes it can u tell me which junkyard?

thanks in advance
Old 05-12-2002, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong
$12,000 in mods? what was the most expensive?
Probably the N2O set-up was the most expensive mod, which included a NOS #5124 kit (65-HP dry shot), bottle warmer, bottle blanket, remote bottle control, purge valve, Cattman upgraded ecu w/ nitrous oxide control module, and Autometer electric gauges: EGT, Fuel Pressure in a dual pillar pod. I had my local Nissan dealer (!) install it about two months ago, for a professional, guaranteed installation by a SAE-certified mechanic. The whole deal probably ran me close to $2,500.

I never got to use my NOS system either! I was waiting on an electric nitrous oxide pressure gauge from Autometer to complete the safety side of the installation. I was not going to use the system until all my safety gizmos were in place. I never even had the bottle filled.

Talk about mental anguish! I am bitterly disappointed.
Old 05-12-2002, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by bullseye

Probably the N2O set-up was the most expensive mod, which included a NOS #5124 kit (65-HP dry shot), bottle warmer, bottle blanket, remote bottle control, purge valve, Cattman upgraded ecu w/ nitrous oxide control module, and Autometer electric gauges: EGT, Fuel Pressure in a dual pillar pod. I had my local Nissan dealer (!) install it about two months ago, for a professional, guaranteed installation by a SAE-certified mechanic. The whole deal probably ran me close to $2,500.

I never got to use my NOS system either! I was waiting on an electric nitrous oxide pressure gauge from Autometer to complete the safety side of the installation. I was not going to use the system until all my safety gizmos were in place. I never even had the bottle filled.

Talk about mental anguish! I am bitterly disappointed.
dealers do that kinda stuff?
Old 05-12-2002, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by 97BlackMax

dealers do that kinda stuff?
Yes. They have a SAE-certified mechanic who has a racing background. He does excellent work. I had been going to them for all my regular maintenance for about a year when I asked them if they'd be willing to quote me for installation of my Quaife ATB differential, a clutch, and an aluminum flywheel. They also did my y-pipe and CAI, and some other stuff, I'm sure. They guaranteed their installations, too!