General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How did you afford your Max?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 09:55 PM
!OG SNES OG!

How did you afford your Max?

I'm curious how all of you can afford to "nice" up your cars, when half of you seem to be high-school/univ/college age.

I'm pushing 30, have a combined annual household income of over $200K, and still can't afford the **** on my car you guys do... mind you, my wife has a monster school debt we are paying off... lol.

So my questions:

Who paid for your car?
How did you afford it?

Congrats to you all nonetheless! Either way, you got a Max

Mike
Old 05-12-2002, 09:57 PM

I used to deal drugs in high school (big time) I bought the car as an escape. It keeps me out of trouble now cuz i don't want to do anything else but drive. I am 19.
Old 05-12-2002, 10:02 PM
!OG SNES OG!

lol... was gonna say

Originally posted by 20th maxstyle
I used to deal drugs in high school (big time) I bought the car as an escape. It keeps me out of trouble now cuz i don't want to do anything else but drive. I am 19.

Must be some slangin' going on on this site... at least the dealers have some class
Old 05-12-2002, 10:11 PM

My best friend Mr. Dow Jones helps me keep the Max looking good.
Old 05-12-2002, 10:33 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally posted by 20th maxstyle
I used to deal drugs in high school (big time)

j/k

I did the same thing too
Old 05-12-2002, 10:35 PM

I had $ set aside for a "nice car" except it couldnt be a sports car as my mom put it. I thought I bought the next best thing, but biggest decision i've regretted in my life. If you had X amount of money sitting around for you thats that large, it damn well better be something that I truly wanted. As for mods, my part time job is enough to pay for them. Guess my mom wants me to start a family early since I'm already driving a family sedan.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I payed for my Maxima or should I say i'm paying for my Max. As far as mods go I think most of these people just save and buy them little by little, but some just use their credit cards and pay later. Other's just make real good money and have little to no bills, so all of their money can go to their ride.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:22 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I own my own business,...
Old 05-12-2002, 11:38 PM

I bought my first car off my parents when i turned 16, about 3k for 94 grand prix. good deal, but i had to work a lot to do. i worked all through high school. senior year my grandmother passes away and left us a decent inheritance. parents fixed up the house and then told me i had 17k to get a new car on grandma for college. was looking at the dakotas until i talked my dad into spending abotu 5k more than he wanted. So my dead grandmother bought my car for me, and i take care of everything else now.
Old 05-13-2002, 03:27 AM

i stole mine
Old 05-13-2002, 04:10 AM
john2002max

Re: How did you afford your Max?

Originally posted by Blaxxxima
I'm curious how all of you can afford to "nice" up your cars, when half of you seem to be high-school/univ/college age.

I'm pushing 30, have a combined annual household income of over $200K, and still can't afford the **** on my car you guys do... mind you, my wife has a monster school debt we are paying off... lol.

So my questions:

Who paid for your car?
How did you afford it?

Mike
They are really not that expensive! You can get an SE model easily for under 25 Grand. To me thats a great deal for the size and power of the max

Old 05-13-2002, 04:19 AM
Banned

Spending my kids inheritance

I am spending my kids inheritance modding my Max, it is expensive if you want to go fast especially in Canada. Everytime I buy something for $199 US it costs $500 Cdn to my door. I have spent $4k in the last 3 months and I don't have a lot to show for it.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:04 AM

A lot of Overtime at work! But not really worth it sicne I get put into a different tax bracket.

JIME: Very nice time on your quarter.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:06 AM

Well...

Blaxxima

You forget that the more money one makes (salary only here), the more expenses one has...

I've never seen an exception.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So my questions:

Who paid for your car?
How did you afford it?

Mike
If your household income is that much money and you can't afford mods, something is wrong.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:05 AM

Re: Re: How did you afford your Max?

I worked hard for my maxima, now I work even harder.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:07 AM

the bank still owns half of my car.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:28 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Lime
the bank still owns half of my car.
I bought it.
Brand New.
Worked my **** off for it.
18-20 credit hours (yes they charge ya more for the extra 2) in school the last two years to grad on time
40 hours a week work (@Kroger Corp Data Center) during 2nd and 3 shifts.
Many weeks lack of sleep.
Graduated with degree and full time salaried job.
Bought it the next year after all my school debt paid off. Almost bought a 2000, but decided to pay off all my bills first.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:37 AM
Sports Button FTW

its funny what you can buy when you work fulltime over the summer and don't have to worry about rent, water bills, etc.

all my money earned went into my car and insurance which is under my parents name so it's only 1800 a year instead of like 2400 or so....

plus my gear sucks, i have no cellphone, and i haven't had a haircut since my car was under 100,000 miles...lol
Old 05-13-2002, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by meccanoble
its funny what you can buy when you work fulltime over the summer and don't have to worry about rent, water bills, etc.

all my money earned went into my car and insurance which is under my parents name so it's only 1800 a year instead of like 2400 or so....

plus my gear sucks, i have no cellphone, and i haven't had a haircut since my car was under 100,000 miles...lol
Who needs new sneakers and a jacket, I need new tires.
Old 05-13-2002, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by deezo
If your household income is that much money and you can't afford mods, something is wrong.
Maybe he only wants $tillen parts?
Old 05-13-2002, 08:05 AM
Administrator

i sell drugs and pimp hoes
Old 05-13-2002, 08:07 AM

Hmmm...to be honest my parents help pay for my car, I had $ saved before from my 92 max, and had $ saved in general, and since its not a sports car and insurance isnt too bad they agreed, not knowing what the max is capable of so anyways, I pay about $250 a month right now for the car, and about $100 for insurance whille my parents pay the rest of the insurance $100...and I am 16 so I do not have that much $ for mods, but I did just buy wheels, now going to buy a new suspension and slowly work my way up
Old 05-13-2002, 08:47 AM

you are a disciplined man.

Originally posted by Colonel

I bought it.
Brand New.
Worked my **** off for it.
18-20 credit hours (yes they charge ya more for the extra 2) in school the last two years to grad on time
40 hours a week work (@Kroger Corp Data Center) during 2nd and 3 shifts.
Many weeks lack of sleep.
Graduated with degree and full time salaried job.
Bought it the next year after all my school debt paid off. Almost bought a 2000, but decided to pay off all my bills first.
You get my props, colonel...I wish I was like you in college.. I didnt even work, but still failed to graduate on time.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:12 AM
Blu
the tits

well i paid for my car and i pay all my bills live on my own and still have about 500-700 to save or spend on my max so you must have a big *** house and 10 cars if you make that much and can't mod you car
Old 05-13-2002, 09:30 AM
ejj

I think that the vast majority of people on this board don't have the expenses that you do then. Most college age or early twenties people don't have a house or huge school loans yet.

Me? I worked 30+ hours a week while taking 18 credits in school making about $17-$20 an hour. Not great, but good enough to pay for my bills, and the extra went to the maxima.

Now, I'm buying a house and am slowly starting to realize that the modding is going to have to cool off or stop all together. Hell, just this week I figure I've put a supercharger down as a deposit on the house, and the appliances that I'll need will cost me another supercharger at least! Its been really hard with the rash of used supercharger for sale in the last few weeks to hold back...
Old 05-13-2002, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by ejj5875

Its been really hard with the rash of used supercharger for sale in the last few weeks to hold back...
Old 05-13-2002, 09:35 AM
ejj

Re: Re: Re: How did you afford your Max?

Originally posted by SprintMax
Don't rub it in. I'll hopefully get mine by the end of the summer.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by deezo
I second that...It must be ur wife that makes 199,900 and u with the 100...cause 200k and u cant mod a maxima...wow r u on drugs on a serious alcoholic...damn it would be ferrari time if i ever have that kind of income....
Old 05-13-2002, 09:39 AM
ejj

Originally posted by ILoveMyMax

I second that...It must be ur wife that makes 199,900 and u with the 100...cause 200k and u cant mod a maxima...wow r u on drugs on a serious alcoholic...damn it would be ferrari time if i ever have that kind of income....
Not really. 200k, if you have a nice house, 2+ cars (wife included of course), kids, school debt, retirement plan, etc, isn't necessarly that much!

EDIT: No offense to Blaxxxima...My household will bearly pull down half of that this year.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:40 AM
Administrator

you must be still living off your parents or just started working..

making 200k and having a house and a wife and cars all adds up.. if you think you can do that with 200k and mod your maxima like a crazy man.. you have no real expenses..

first off he has to answer to the BOSS.. and if she says no.. he ain't buying no big mods

do a quick budget..

mortgauge
cars
car insurance
home insurance
furniture
utilities
telephone
food
house maintenance..
wife shopping habbits

man i could go on for days...

Old 05-13-2002, 09:43 AM
ejj

Re: Re: Re: Re: How did you afford your Max?

making 200k and having a house and a wife and cars all adds up.. if you think you can do that with 200k and mod your maxima like a crazy man.. you have no real expenses..

first off he has to answer to the BOSS.. and if she says no.. he ain't buying no big mods

do a quick budget..

mortgauge
cars
car insurance
home insurance
furniture
utilities
telephone
food
house maintenance..
wife shopping habbits

Sprite...you missed the biggie...

taxes

Income tax on 200k + property tax, etc could easily be more than 45 or 50% of what you make.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How did you afford your Max?

Originally posted by ejj5875

Sprite...you missed the biggie...

taxes

Income tax on 200k + property tax, etc could easily be more than 45% of what you make.
exempt my italian family says i don't have to pay taxes
Old 05-13-2002, 10:27 AM
!OG SNES OG!

Re: Well...

Originally posted by FrankBattle
Blaxxima

You forget that the more money one makes (salary only here), the more expenses one has...

I've never seen an exception.

Frank,

I completely agree. Having worked in the banking industry for a few years, all the rich clients had the most debts/loans.
My wife is a dentist so her school debts were over $100K, and we are paying those off... once those are gone, along comes the cost of buying a practice, and then a house, so the bills stay steady. Hopefully the incomes will rise accordingly and the ratio of bills to income drops

That being said, some sound budgeting/expense tracking can help minimize any non-essential expenses (lol, like some would consider my Maxima).

I hope to have a bit of a nicer car soon. Just put 18" rims and tires on it, and should have pics by the end of the week. Maybe I'm just jealous of some of the nicer cars on here lol

Have a great week.
Mike
Old 05-13-2002, 10:33 AM
!OG SNES OG!

Yeah, tell me about it. Well, props to most of you for busting *** and working for your rides. Even if ya didn't, who cares, you got a sweet a$$ ride.

It's all about the expenses, but I make $150, she makes $199,850... so I can afford gas and ****

And she only just started work this past june, so the debts, the marriage in August, moving to a new city, and various household expenses chewed up dough, until the school bills started coming in.

Who wants a ferrari? Why not a Lambo?

Mike
Old 05-13-2002, 10:35 AM
!OG SNES OG!

do a quick budget..

mortgauge
cars
car insurance
home insurance
furniture
utilities
telephone
food
house maintenance..
wife shopping habbits

Lol... Sprint, you nailed it dude!! Do you know how much work I had to do to get those damn rims! I swear, I mastered Sales 403 in 1 two weeks.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:51 AM

And she only just started work this past june, so the debts, the marriage in August, moving to a new city, and various household expenses chewed up dough, until the school bills started coming in.

Who wants a ferrari? Why not a Lambo?

Mike

Mike - you just answered your own question. Like most of these people have said, the majority of posters here are less than 25 yrs old, and don't have to worry about paying for a house, moving stuff for a new house, etc.

I just graduated college in 2000, and my parents paid my tuition - I worked to pay my own expenses (cough...alcohol...cough). Now that I'm working, I was able to sell my old accord and pick up a 99 SE for 1/2 original sticker - $13K. That's a great way to pick up a nice car without spending tons of money - use depreciation (good for my Accord, bad for Maxima) in your favor. It's also nice to be 23, only paying rent, insurance, and daily living costs (cough....alcohol...cough) and not have to expenses you do. But everyone goes through that at some point - I'm sure in 6 years I'll be in your shoes. No, literally....I'll only have enough money to shop for stuff at the Goodwill.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:21 AM

I'm 25 years old and I work in the asset management division of **** ***********. I pay for my car and I bought my father his 2k2 Altima
as a gift (only about two and a half more years of payments left on both his Alty and my Max).

It was only fair that I buy him a new car considering I pretty much destroyed his '92 Toyota Camry.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:33 AM
Administrator

broker boy

where is NickStam.. my aspiring stock broker
Originally posted by acMAX
I'm 25 years old and I work in the asset management division of **** ***********. I pay for my car and I bought my father his 2k2 Altima
as a gift (only about two and a half more years of payments left on both his Alty and my Max).

It was only fair that I buy him a new car considering I pretty much destroyed his '92 Toyota Camry.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:39 AM

do a quick budget..

mortgauge
cars
car insurance
home insurance
furniture
utilities
telephone
food
house maintenance..
wife shopping habbits

True. So true. Add occasional health bills (after insurance pays their share), newspaper delivery, cable, internet service, entertainment and more wife shopping habits.

When she goes shopping and comes home with "honey, I got you something." My heart sinks because it usually means "I bought a *few* outfits and I only got you this one thing to shut you up."

Being the **** that I am, it works. Now with the maxima, when I first strated modding mine, she asked how much I was planning to spend. My response: $500. I think I blew that in the first 2 days on Ebay...the key is to pay cash (aka American Express and/or paypal); and it pays to have a play bank account that's all your own.

That said, $200,000 is not that much money. Let's say you are only in the 40% tax bracket, that leaves you with $120,000. Then add all the items listed above (2 cars = $1000; mortgage *PITI* = $2500; car insurance = $300; Utilities (phone, gas, electric, water, cable, internet) = $600; diapers/tuition/clothes for kids = $400 etc etc) and you'd be lucky to have anything left to live on (after the compulsory savings).

Quick Reply: How did you afford your Max?