General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Help Supercharger belt is sqeeling when cold out ->

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2000, 09:23 AM
Matt_P

Now that it is getting cold out, my sc belt is squeling louding upon startup. Anyone else have this problem. It lasts for a 5-10 minutes(or until the engine bay is warmed up). The belt is probably loose.
What is the planned method of attack for tightning this thing up?

Also, how often do these belts need to be replaced?

Thanks,

Matt P

Old 11-30-2000, 12:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

my guess would be the idler adjuster pulley.. but then what would i know i have that happen too.. but as soon as i start driving it goes away.. idler pulley is down same side as intake looks bronze just get an extender and go for it
Old 12-02-2000, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Phil96SE
my guess would be the idler adjuster pulley.. but then what would i know i have that happen too.. but as soon as i start driving it goes away.. idler pulley is down same side as intake looks bronze just get an extender and go for it
Don't forget to loosen the idler adjuster first then tighten the bronze adjuster. Obviously tighening the idler pulley when finished.
Old 12-02-2000, 03:50 PM
Vic

this is something i need help with.
in the cold mine squeals as well. but goes away after warming up.
still sounds like a rusty cricket though
and sometimes my fuel pump doesn't pump gas while starting? my max has a hardtime starting once in awhile in the cold
Vic
Old 12-03-2000, 10:56 PM
Matt_P

Question about that

Where is the idler adjuster located at?

Originally posted by SteveChicagoSC
Don't forget to loosen the idler adjuster first then tighten the bronze adjuster. Obviously tighening the idler pulley when finished.

Old 12-03-2000, 11:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yea, mine's been doing that also. Lasts for 5-10 seconds like you say...but also stops immediately upon shifting into Reverse. The belt will also squeal between shifts at WOT which obviously results in a loss of boost/power.

I usually take it to Autogear for regular 'check ups' and I'm probably due to have the belt inspected also. I'm thinking that the belt should be replaced every 1-2 years depending on how far you drive and how hard you push it.

Jim
Old 12-04-2000, 07:04 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Question about that

if look from the top you'll see a small pulled on the left side of the SC pulley...a little farther down. the belt is prob blocking it. but you'll prob see the top of the adjustor. the lock nut on the side of the puller you'll have to get under the car to loosen.
good luck trying to get the 14mm socket out after you made the adjustment on the belt. best way is to get a long screwdriver and pop/pry it up from the bottom of the car.
Dan

Originally posted by Matt_P
Where is the idler adjuster located at?

Originally posted by SteveChicagoSC