General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I Thought Hybrid Intake Had better Low End???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 12:00 PM
starcruzer

I Thought Hybrid Intake Had better Low End???

I was at the frankencar web site and they post dyno runs before and after with their hybrid filter. I am assuming that the before setup used the stock air box, though I did not see it mentioned specifically.

http://www.frankencar.com/project_02_max_se.shtml

I printed the two dyno plots and overlayed them. When I held them up to a light I was rather surprised to find that power was lower (by 10-15 HP at 3000 RPM!) with the hybrid all the way up to about 4700 RPM (where the hybrid outperformed the stock box significantly). I e-mailed Steve at frankencar with this question a couple of days ago but have not heard back from him yet.

Do all after market intakes perform worse than the stock air box at engine speeds less that 4500-5000 RPM? Or is this not typical of other intakes?

Old 05-22-2002, 04:03 PM

well, it depends...look in the stickied post about temperature of intakes. i believe a regular cone intake works well for a five speed and a cai works well for an auto. i know cai suppose to eliminate the low end lost. i did the best of both worlds and got a cone intake and made a short ram tube for it.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I Thought Hybrid Intake Had better Low End???

Originally posted by starcruzer
I was at the frankencar web site and they post dyno runs before and after with their hybrid filter. I am assuming that the before setup used the stock air box, though I did not see it mentioned specifically.

I printed the two dyno plots and overlayed them. When I held them up to a light I was rather surprised to find that power was lower (by 10-15 HP at 3000 RPM!) with the hybrid all the way up to about 4700 RPM (where the hybrid outperformed the stock box significantly). I e-mailed Steve at frankencar with this question a couple of days ago but have not heard back from him yet.

Do all after market intakes perform worse than the stock air box at engine speeds less that 4500-5000 RPM? Or is this not typical of other intakes?

I'm not sure that I follow you on this. I looked at the graphs, but only on screen. One thing that I believe you must rule out is the fact that the dyno graphs that he has posted are resized. Hopefully both graphs are resized by the exact same percentage before he posted them. Without the original data run through Dynojet's Winpep software, I don't think that an accurate comparison can be made.

At the following link I have a print screen of my before FrankenCar (stock airbox - 205fwhp) and with FrankenCar (K&N filter 210fwhp) as well as the FrankenCar without letting the ECU adjust (K&N filter 217fwhp) in the WinPep software. At no time is there a real significant loss, yet there is a noticeable gain in the upper end.

www.cenpipe.com/~akrusvar/maxima/dyno1.jpg

Albert
Old 05-22-2002, 06:05 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I Thought Hybrid Intake Had better Low End???

[the graphs have differnt scales on them and they will look different if you just priont them out and lay them over, i ahve the dyno jet viewer files someone and there isn't that kinda of a loss at all, sorry about the eamil also my SMTP isn't working.QUOTE]Originally posted by starcruzer

[/QUOTE]
Old 05-22-2002, 06:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Steve, I beg you to change your sig pic. It's starting to hurt having to look at a banged up Max, especially in that colour.

Albert
Old 05-22-2002, 09:54 PM

[i'll take a pic tomorrow since it's fixed AND lowered now. it looks so much better. i'm happy again.QUOTE]Originally posted by akrus
Steve, I beg you to change your sig pic. It's starting to hurt having to look at a banged up Max, especially in that colour.

Albert
[/QUOTE]
Old 05-22-2002, 10:09 PM
mb1

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
[i'll take a pic tomorrow since it's fixed AND lowered now. it looks so much better. i'm happy again.QUOTE]Originally posted by akrus

Albert
[/QUOTE]

You need to learn how to work with quotes.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:24 AM
starcruzer

Re: Re: I Thought Hybrid Intake Had better Low End???

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
[the graphs have differnt scales on them and they will look different if you just print them out and lay them over, i have the dyno jet viewer files someone and there isn't that kinda of a loss at all, sorry about the eamil also my SMTP isn't working.
You are right about the scales being different (as if you didn't know that ). While the HP and torque scales stay the same, the RPMs are different for the two plots. My bad...

The only way to compare the two plots would be to intersect from the desired rpm up to the line and over to the HP scale for each graph. Of course I wanted to do this but since there were no major or minor grid lines on the pictures, I took the liberty to add some. The results were just as you said, no loss at all, in fact there were improvements at almost every RPM (except for that funny dip at 4500RPM ). In any case, here is what I've found.

http://www.members.***.net/starcruze...ck%20air%20box

http://www.members.***.net/starcruze...encar%20filter

BTW, thanks Albert (Arkus) for the link to your dyno jet graphs, they support the data at the frankencar website (including the dip at 4500RPM...)

Sorry for misinterpreting your data Steve, but were all cleared up now. So when are you going to offer your intake for the 4th gens?

Old 05-24-2002, 03:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: I Thought Hybrid Intake Had better Low End???

Originally posted by starcruzer

You are right about the scales being different (as if you didn't know that ). While the HP and torque scales stay the same, the RPMs are different for the two plots. My bad...

The only way to compare the two plots would be to intersect from the desired rpm up to the line and over to the HP scale for each graph. Of course I wanted to do this but since there were no major or minor grid lines on the pictures, I took the liberty to add some. The results were just as you said, no loss at all, in fact there were improvements at almost every RPM (except for that funny dip at 4500RPM ). In any case, here is what I've found.

http://www.members.***.net/starcruze...ck%20air%20box

http://www.members.***.net/starcruze...encar%20filter

BTW, thanks Albert (Arkus) for the link to your dyno jet graphs, they support the data at the frankencar website (including the dip at 4500RPM...)

Sorry for misinterpreting your data Steve, but were all cleared up now. So when are you going to offer your intake for the 4th gens?

mid june and we actually mean it this time, we have maf's adapters being made as we speak.

-steve