General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

tried replacing cloth door inserts with vinyl but.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 11:22 PM

tried replacing cloth door inserts with vinyl but.....

I read on here that the leather door insert piece was held in with clips or something thats on the back of the door panel so I said no problem, Ill just remove it from the door panel and put vinyl over my cloth insert but I found out that the cloth insert is just a piece of cloth glued on to the door panel itself instead of a seperate piece that is clipped on to the doors like I read about Anyone have any ideas of how to replace the cloth on my doors?
Old 05-25-2002, 11:56 PM

Re: tried replacing cloth door inserts with vinyl but.....

You have to use some really good spray adhesive. that's what the interior shop did when they did my doors.

Originally posted by Nismo
I read on here that the leather door insert piece was held in with clips or something thats on the back of the door panel so I said no problem, Ill just remove it from the door panel and put vinyl over my cloth insert but I found out that the cloth insert is just a piece of cloth glued on to the door panel itself instead of a seperate piece that is clipped on to the doors like I read about Anyone have any ideas of how to replace the cloth on my doors?
Old 05-26-2002, 12:02 AM

Re: Re: tried replacing cloth door inserts with vinyl but.....

Originally posted by Shadow
You have to use some really good spray adhesive. that's what the interior shop did when they did my doors.

did you have cloth inserts? did they put the vinyl over the cloth or did they remove that? also, Im planning to vinyl my rear deck so do you have any tips for that? thanks
Old 05-26-2002, 08:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: tried replacing cloth door inserts with vinyl but.....

I had the cloth inserts. You have to remove that. And the rear deck is the same, pull the factory cloth/felt cover and revinyl it.

Originally posted by Nismo

did you have cloth inserts? did they put the vinyl over the cloth or did they remove that? also, Im planning to vinyl my rear deck so do you have any tips for that? thanks
Old 06-02-2002, 04:34 PM
FJC

Re: Re: Re: Re: tried replacing cloth door inserts with vinyl but.....

Originally posted by Shadow
I had the cloth inserts. You have to remove that. And the rear deck is the same, pull the factory cloth/felt cover and revinyl it.

Shadow, leatherseats.com recommends to leave the factory fabric on... Is it better to remove it?
Old 06-02-2002, 04:43 PM

Shadow the door inserts look good, how did they get it on nice and tight and smooth? You 4th gen guys have the same problem i do with the door panels, the 3rd gen cloth is also glued right onto the door and is not a seperate detachable piece. Ill be replacing my cloth panels with black leather to match the seats (im making this a DIY job, im practicing on a scrap door panel from the junk yard before i start butchering mine) You happen to know what type of adhesive was used on your inserts?
Old 06-02-2002, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by Maximan190
Shadow the door inserts look good, how did they get it on nice and tight and smooth? You 4th gen guys have the same problem i do with the door panels, the 3rd gen cloth is also glued right onto the door and is not a seperate detachable piece. Ill be replacing my cloth panels with black leather to match the seats (im making this a DIY job, im practicing on a scrap door panel from the junk yard before i start butchering mine) You happen to know what type of adhesive was used on your inserts?
the guy at the shop told me to use contact cement but Im not shure if there are different types of contact cement though
Old 06-03-2002, 05:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tried replacing cloth door inserts with vinyl but.....

Originally posted by FJC

Shadow, leatherseats.com recommends to leave the factory fabric on... Is it better to remove it?

No, do not remove the factory cloth in the door panels. Glue leather/vinyl over the cloth.