General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

FYI all Maxima.org Members

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2000, 04:22 PM

As much as you might see my posts here on the board, I don't live here, so sometimes I might not be able to answer to posts very quickly. I also was told about this post thru someone else, I have never looked under "Dealership and shop Experiences". So I have not been aware of this post until 5 minutes ago.

I also received an email from the guy who failed to contact me before it went 3 months out. Unfortunately he tells me he used Paypal to pay, so I have no paperwork on him (This is why I do not recommend paypal for payment, its not very easy to work with in situations like this). In his email to me he Did NOT give me his full name, any car info, time of purchase, etc. So at this point I don't have a ton of info to go by. I use my CC processing people for 4 different entities, the VB modification charges only being ONE of those, and the other 3 have nothing to do with autombiles.

I have done literally 100+ of these modifications in the last 8 months or so, and have never had a problem with anyone to this day. My book-keeping is done thru an outside agency, so if I don't hear of an issue directly, I really won't know whats going on. Again, if you use the methods of payment that are recommended (Visa, Mastercard, Discover), You will be protected and will never have a problem.

I find it interesting to see so many people that are so quick to pass judgement on someone who (in the last three years) has done nothing but be an enthusiast on this board and help in situations when possible. I assume thse posts are made out of immaturity and with time, will pass. It looks like 2-3 people have made a decision about me and my business practices with all the knowledge of "one post" with no more details than I've been given. Kudos to you guys, you will make good Supreme court justices one day (making decisions before both sides are heard).

For those of you who haven't passed judgement, the VB mod will continue to be available.

For those of you who continue to post on things you have no direct knowledge of, or have made a decision without hearing both sides, this modification is probably not right for you.

Don in Texas
Old 12-01-2000, 05:14 PM
vapors smx

It sickens me to see those who do not know Don to pass judgement on him-->

I have bought the vb from Don, in fact I was one of the first when he offered it. I have had the pleasure of racing with Don at the track in San Antonio and meeting so many other fine members of this board(Smartazz, Russ, Slickismax, Loren, and much more). What I cannot stand are those members who have jumped on board the "OMG you got ripped off" band wagon.

Don has contributed tons of knowledge on this board and the other boards in the past. I hold him, Loren, Keven, Shingles, Chesbosto and few others in high esteem with their knowledge and contribution to this board.

SO what I am saying is that to most of you who do not know him, or the situation, perhaps should refrain from any remarks.

This is one of the reasons why we lose good long standing members. When someone starts flaming, and the rest of you act as gasoline in the pit.

Old 12-01-2000, 05:28 PM

ditto

It is immature to make judgements on people you don't know, and have no knowledge about. Stick to your own business unless you have personal experience with the situation. Enough said.....Don, thanks for all your contributions in the year to year and a half I have been around.

Old 12-01-2000, 05:57 PM

lol!!!!muahaha!

lol, I guess I'm the unfortunate one here huh? well, it seemed like DavidL was part of the "got ripped off" bandwagon as well some time in the past, but he's since wrecked his maxima and moved on.

anyways, I finally get a reply from Don about this VB refund issue...and he says that he's forwarded my e-mail to his attorney....whats that supposed to mean?

well, I have posted on this forum in the past couple months...[I wonder if you can search on my userid with regards to my previous posts?] but anyways, like I said, I posted here requesting for contact information to Don cos I thought he dissappeared on me...but everyone reassured me that he'd someday refund my money...so I was cool with it...3 months have since passed, I've sent numerous reminders via paypal and normal emails to Don reminding him of the refund...but NO...nothing...not even a tiny reassurance mail from him to tell me that the money was coming.

now, I write him a personal e-mail to give him fair warning that if he decides to ignore me / fail to reply me / freign not seeing my mails...or posts...whatever it may be...I'd start posting here on the forum about my bad experiences and negatives about Don.

its true that Don's replies really fast to ppl interested in the VB upgrade...! and I applaud him for that...!

however, the moment I tell him that I can't do it (note here...I sent him the money...via paypal which he said I could do so...and was cool about it (I even have the e-mail he sent to me to indicate that I could send via paypal somewhere to cover me on this one!)...then I realize that no tranny shop in my area wanted to do the swap for me...I backed out without even receiving any VB from him...basically, I paid him already for something...but when I told him I wanted out...he said ok...but he never refunded the money!) if anyone has to take legal action...it'd probably be ME instead of Don being defensive about me slandering him...=)

perhaps now you are asking...why can't I do it myself? well, guess I could...but I'd rather have a shop take the heat for me...in case something freaky happens and my tranny is wrecked. besides, SteveChicagoSC had it done in a shop too, sure I could go up to chicago to do it...but that means having to drive 2 - 3 hours there to a shop install it, whilst missing school, then drive back down...couple days later...do it again to return Don the core swap...fergedid...I'd forego the VB upgrade till I can find a tranny shop in my town to do it for me!

so all in all, I hope Don refunds the sum of $375 for the VB upgrade to me soon...!

ps, Don!!! I have a 99 SE-L...asked you about my traction control and whether it'd screw it after the VB upgrade and stuff...! in case you need some e-mails to jolt your memory...I can send them to you...but I don't wanna be blamed for jamming your mailbox now do I? =)
Old 12-01-2000, 06:25 PM

Only $375!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess the price has gone up. I think you shouldn't bother getting your money back, but get him to send you the VB mod instead, then you could sell it for more than what you paid for it.

Hell, If he still had that deal going I would buy it next week.
Old 12-01-2000, 06:56 PM

Hmm....

When I purchased the VB Mod from Don, I had a little trouble with the USPS. They mislocated the shipment. Don was responsive and understanding thru out the whole time. I eventually found the VB Mod and I absolutely love the mod. I personally have to say that Don is professional and helpful. I have been a member for 2 years already, and I only hear good things about Don. Keep up the good work Don!
Old 12-01-2000, 08:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Don gave some good excuses but never said that he was going to refund this guys money.....What's the scoop or do we have to talk to your lawyer also??? Yeah I don't know either of you guys but WTF. Don did you really tell that guy your turning it over to you attorney or is he full of it? This thread was originally here but was moved to the other dealership forum.
Old 12-01-2000, 08:24 PM

I guess I could ask Don to send me the VB, but then I think he needs a core swap...so...!

in anycase, we'll see...let see how long more it takes Don to refund my money...!

but, let me put it clearly here...I'm willing to put my maxima.org membership status on the line here if I had to flame another member...! call me hardcore...but I think 3 months is definitely more than enough time for someone to come up with enough money to refund me...am I not right?!

time and tide waits for no man...! so why should I give Don more time?!
Old 12-01-2000, 08:30 PM

I'm willing to prove my point!

if anyone of you are bored...its friday nite and its cold out...and would like to read the mail I wrote to don and what he replied me with...

PLEASE....feel free to e-mail me for the juicy mails.

rgds
Old 12-01-2000, 09:26 PM

paypals: e-mails

does DON not have a telephone #?? Any legitimate internet friendly business will glady; willingly, up front provide a phone number for easy contact. I havent read in any of the posts on this topic, that a phone was ever tried. Please clarify if I am mistaken. If telephone calls WERE tried, what was the outcome? If no phone # is ever provided by the business...WHAT GIVES?? wouldnt that be your FIRST clue????
Old 12-01-2000, 09:58 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

*subliminal message* VG Valve Body *subliminal message*

LOL, find a VG guinea pig quick!! <b>and get to work on our VBs!!!!</B> (just kiddin')
Old 12-01-2000, 10:00 PM
Kato

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ZuMBLe
Dude, I'm sorry about what happened. But enough already. Consider your bad experience put on record. Really, you should try to do it yourself. Wouldn't have had that problem.. Maybe you dont believe in yourself or something.. But I believe if you can use basic handtools.. and have half a brain.. you can do it.. So its partially your fault..

ZuM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted this in the other thread, but I guess it's more relevent to this one so I thought I'd post it here too....

Agreed. It really isn't difficult to do with help from one other person. I don't consider myself particularly mechanically inclined (I've done bolt-ons on a few Hondas and DSMs before, but nothing huge) and I did it with a friend's help in about 3-4 hours.

I'm not going to say anything much about the transaction because I don't know the exact details of what went on, but I do know this. When I got my VB mod from Don, he was more than helpful to me. I was provided with a cell phone number where I could reach him in case I had any questions with the install. I did have to send the VB back to him to mod again (out of my own personal preferences it was a bit too firm of a shift, nothing wrong with the product at all) and he took care of that quickly and professionally. I have also emailed him with other questions about the Maxima, not having anything at all to do with the VB mod, and he has answered those and helped me out.

Do I know Don personally? Nope, never met him, probably never will. What I do know is that he has been nothing but helpful to me in my Maxima modding adventures. He has also responded to this matter in a professional manner and does not want his good name tarnished. Many of you may be forming opinions on this matter without knowing either party or exact details of what happened. You're going on something that one member has said against another member. What makes what one of them has said more credible than what the other has said? That's for you to decide. I'm not taking sides here so please correct me if you think I'm being biased. I'm just stating my own personal experience with Don. Personally, I don't think it's going to help tclee's case at all by posting something negative about Don every time his name shows up in a post.

It's almost like Woodear showing up everytime JimW and roadkill show up in the same post. Heeeere Woodear..... JimW roadkill JimW roadkill.....

Old 12-01-2000, 10:04 PM

Re: paypals: e-mails

Originally posted by LeoB
does DON not have a telephone #?? Any legitimate internet friendly business will glady; willingly, up front provide a phone number for easy contact. I havent read in any of the posts on this topic, that a phone was ever tried. Please clarify if I am mistaken. If telephone calls WERE tried, what was the outcome? If no phone # is ever provided by the business...WHAT GIVES?? wouldnt that be your FIRST clue????
leo got a really good point.. a simple phone # woulda solved these issues long ago.. i mean then u can have phone records that would prove u attempted to call him.. or even talked to him.. and if don wanted to cover his *** he could record all calls.. and as long as he told u he was recordin it would stand up in court.. if anything ever went to court.. however how many times have i heard call my lawyer before..
Old 12-01-2000, 10:35 PM

phone numbers? muahaha!

I've posted here...seeking help from ppl on the forum to give me Don's phone number so that I could call him and talk to him about it...but NO...it seems everyone who did business with Don hasn't helped the matter...but just said...Don's great...etc..!

sure, I trust that Don's great...excellent marketing strategy person...! responds to mails fast and efficiently...all until the time I tell him nope...sorry...can't do...then the mails stop abruptly. last mail I got from him is his word to refund my $$ dated sept something!

So will someone give me Don's phone number so that I can contact him and work it out?! since e-mail seems to only flow and be read as and when...think a phone call might work better...!

can someone pls give me Don's contact number?!
Old 12-01-2000, 10:38 PM

guess we could try

I'll e-mail don to see if he will give me phone #..
Old 12-02-2000, 03:21 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: *subliminal message* VG Valve Body *subliminal message*

Originally posted by DA-MAX

LOL, find a VG guinea pig quick!! <b>and get to work on our VBs!!!!</B> (just kiddin')

hmmm....maybe i should start looking for a vg in the junkyard and ripping the tranny out and get the vb sent to don since we don't have a guinea pig...
Old 12-02-2000, 04:35 PM

i understand tclee was pissed cuz of his money..but dam he acted like a little kid about it. all kinds of people on this board know don in texas, and hold him in high regards. im one of those people, although i dont know him personally. i was looking forward in getting the vb upgrade from don i texas. but thanks to tclee my tranny wont be getting that for christmas. i guess im pissed cuz ONE person killed it for the rest of us...

...its like in elementary when the person next to you kept talking, and YOU got in trouble for it..and YOU had to write the standards..while THEY laughed about it...its 2nd grade all over again..
Old 12-02-2000, 05:27 PM

Re: guess we could try

Originally posted by LeoB
I'll e-mail don to see if he will give me phone #..
one would assume that all of his customers should have recieved the # however thats not true.. so maybe u can get his lawyer's #
Old 12-02-2000, 06:17 PM

If Don had just said I'm sorry this refund fell thru the cracks and I will resolve it immediatly and then did so this would be over. Instead he threatened (I read his Email reply) this guy and now wants to take his ball and go home. Your right it's like elementary school. This could have been over before it started.