General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need help with new motor....won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 07:34 AM

Need help with new motor....won't start

ok...my mechanic has my new motor in my car, and he's trying to get it running. He's getting fuel and spark...but it won't start up.

Is there anything that needs to be reset in the computer to allow it to start after a motor swap??

The car has compression, fuel, and spark....what else could the problem be????
Old 05-28-2002, 08:31 AM

Sounds like he needs to double-check the timing chain. When I helped MardiGrasMax swap engines in his car last summer we had a similar experience. We would get fire from just two of the coil packs. The others wouldn't fire because the crankshaft position sensor was not in sync with the camshaft position sensor.

When MardiGrasMax pulled the timing chain cover, he found that the chain was one tooth off. I wasn't there then, but he said that he could see how they missed it; he said it was very easy to get it wrong.
Old 05-28-2002, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by sinewave
Sounds like he needs to double-check the timing chain. When I helped MardiGrasMax swap engines in his car last summer we had a similar experience. We would get fire from just two of the coil packs. The others wouldn't fire because the crankshaft position sensor was not in sync with the camshaft position sensor.

When MardiGrasMax pulled the timing chain cover, he found that the chain was one tooth off. I wasn't there then, but he said that he could see how they missed it; he said it was very easy to get it wrong.
My mechanic had the timing cover off because he swapped the one from my old engine onto the new one. I don't think that could be the case because this engine was never opened before...it came straight out of a car after it was in an accident...unlike Matt's "built" engine. I'll let my mechanic know though. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 05-28-2002, 08:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

When you say he has fuel, are the injectors firing? Is the fuel actually making it into the combustion chamber?
Old 05-28-2002, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by MikeV1984
When you say he has fuel, are the injectors firing? Is the fuel actually making it into the combustion chamber?
They were pulsing...but the fuel lines were hooked up backwards....it's all good now and the engine is running!
Old 05-28-2002, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

They were pulsing...but the fuel lines were hooked up backwards....it's all good now and the engine is running!
Congrats! I hope all goes well from hear on.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:31 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

Congrats!

What do you mean backwards? The return line to the intake of the rail or something?
Old 05-28-2002, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by ejj5875

Congrats!

What do you mean backwards? The return line to the intake of the rail or something?
yup
Old 05-28-2002, 02:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Congrats, now SPRAY AWAY!!