General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Road Race Peeps- Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 11:46 AM

Road Race Peeps- Brake Pads

I just ran 2 days at NHIS in hot weather with Carbotech Panther+ pads. I highly recommend these! There is still half the pad left and they never faded once. When I had Porterfield's I could chew thru them in a day under similar conditions and had to back off periodically to allow them to cool off.

The guy at Carbo-Tech can be grumpy, but these pads rock. Well worth the purchase price.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:53 AM
STFU n00b!

Impressive!

1. how much are they for pads to fit stock calipers? (tell me to search if you wish)

2. Do they make some to fit wilwood calipers, or will they custom make if needed?
Old 05-31-2002, 11:56 AM
STFU n00b!

oh, and:
3. how are they for rotor wear? Most of the extreme high heat stuff that'll fit my rotors are worse on wear than sticking a hunk of steel next to them.
Old 05-31-2002, 12:50 PM

They were $149 for the front, I still have Porterfield's on the rear. At first I was wary because of the price, but they're probably cheaper in the long run since the last much longer. This is on stock brakes. He will line any backing plate you send him with the material of your choice, or he can get the plates for you and do it, but he'll charge you like $10 per plate.

Carbotech is very racing oriented, I found out about them through a local shop and also read a little about them in Grassroots Motorsports, so I imagine find pads for a Wilwood setup wouldn't be a problem.

Rotor wear seems neglible. I use the cheapie Autozone rotors and I have a seperate set for track and street. The current set only sees the CarboTech pads. I've run Limerock once, NHIS once in the rain, and NHIS in the dry for two days. The rotors still look like I could go double that easily. If I wiped the pad transfer off they'd look like new.
Old 05-31-2002, 01:00 PM

hrmmm going to willow springs in a week, where can I buy these? got a phone number or anything?
Old 05-31-2002, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
hrmmm going to willow springs in a week, where can I buy these? got a phone number or anything?
http://www.carbotecheng.com/
Old 05-31-2002, 02:31 PM

Re: Road Race Peeps- Brake Pads

Originally posted by iwannabmw
I just ran 2 days at NHIS in hot weather with Carbotech Panther+ pads. I highly recommend these! There is still half the pad left and they never faded once. When I had Porterfield's I could chew thru them in a day under similar conditions and had to back off periodically to allow them to cool off.

The guy at Carbo-Tech can be grumpy, but these pads rock. Well worth the purchase price.
Those Porterfields that you burned up, were they the R4S's or R4's?
Old 05-31-2002, 02:37 PM

Re: Re: Road Race Peeps- Brake Pads

Originally posted by sinewave

Those Porterfields that you burned up, were they the R4S's or R4's?
They were the R4S. I was going to try a set of R4's but someone recommended CarboTech and mentioned that Porterfield had some quality control issues. I'm sure I wouldn't burn through the R4's anywhere near as fast, but since the CarboTech's and the R4's were similar in price, I wanted to give them a shot first.
Old 05-31-2002, 03:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Road Race Peeps- Brake Pads

I say the same for Performance Friction pads too and they don't dust like other pads. I haven't cleaned my wheel covers in about 2 weeks and they still look pretty clean.
Old 05-31-2002, 04:41 PM

Re: Re: Road Race Peeps- Brake Pads

Originally posted by deezo
I say the same for Performance Friction pads too and they don't dust like other pads. I haven't cleaned my wheel covers in about 2 weeks and they still look pretty clean.
Performance Friction has some great pads for a basic street application. Unfortuneately, none of their compounds suitable for track driving are available for the Maxima.
Old 05-31-2002, 04:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Road Race Peeps- Brake Pads

Performance Friction has some great pads for a basic street application. Unfortuneately, none of their compounds suitable for track driving are available for the Maxima.
Oops!!! You did say for track use.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Road Race Peeps- Brake Pads

They were the R4S. I was going to try a set of R4's but someone recommended CarboTech and mentioned that Porterfield had some quality control issues. I'm sure I wouldn't burn through the R4's anywhere near as fast, but since the CarboTech's and the R4's were similar in price, I wanted to give them a shot first.
You are not the first one that I have heard has had problems with the R4S on a road course. A mechanic/shop owner I know road races a 280Z and really likes the R4.

I have used the R4S for autocrossing with no problems and have given some thought to trying them out on a road course. Maybe I ought to re-think that!
Old 05-31-2002, 08:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Road Race Peeps- Brake Pads

Originally posted by sinewave

You are not the first one that I have heard has had problems with the R4S on a road course. A mechanic/shop owner I know road races a 280Z and really likes the R4.

I have used the R4S for autocrossing with no problems and have given some thought to trying them out on a road course. Maybe I ought to re-think that!
The R4S is a great pad for street and autocross. I would consider them again for those applications. They just are not up to the heat that can be generated on the track. After 10 minutes of flat out driving, the pads are done and need to be cooled for a lap. Supposedly the R4S is good for track use during "driving schools" and they hold up okay for me at Limerock. NHIS is hell on brakes and I can burmn through them. I get the impression that if you are a good driver on a challenging road course, you'll toast them as well.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:22 PM
SLOW

Good info. I'll let you guys know how my HP+ stand up to hot lapping in a week or two, whenever I get my car back out on the track.