General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

97 auto VS 97 5 spd .... the video

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by bags533

your pushing you motor harder, BUT it's in it's strongest gear. I drive at about 110.. but when push comes to shove, i'm good for about 140.

I have riddin at about 120ish for about an hour or so. If you want to play hard, be prepared, your going to wear out the engine faster
Gutsy for some reason I do not feel safe when I pass 110mph for cruising speeds. I did do a 2 hour run @ 100 mph though. Once I passed 110 I had to use both hands.

Any chance your lowered?
Old 06-05-2002, 11:00 PM

yes but that is from a roll.... it might be a different story from a stop.... in my opinion the auto has the advatage over 5 speed from a roll because the driver of the 5speed may not know how to drive very well and have it in a gear too high, but in a auto it downshifts for you.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by dmontzmax
about 3/4 throttle to 25mph, then full... I had grounded out VTC's as well. And the auto has 237,000 miles on it.

flooring it usually helps....
Old 06-05-2002, 11:09 PM
Ford Only.

not with the slooow dying VE auto... It needs like a 100 shot to get it moving now. Poor thing, soon...
Old 06-05-2002, 11:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Now i don't have proof, but the guy i raced did post that i beat him in the colorado threads, but i raced a 5-speed with a pop charger from a light with my auto, at the time i had Cat-back, CAI, Y-pipe. I actually beat him by half a car up to about 85. so some auto's do very well against 5-speeds. I can't wait to get my VI and VB installed now .
Ryan
Old 06-05-2002, 11:17 PM
Ford Only.

I am not doubting your race. But just look at the 5 speed vs auto 1/4 times. That says it all...
Old 06-05-2002, 11:36 PM

Wow that non-ninja shifting driver in that 98SE was owned Hardcore.

Anyway good race bags only prob was that there was way too much traffic during those runs.

All races were started in third gear.

Mod's y/cat/b-pipe.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:46 PM
SLOW

Good run. Honestly I'd rather run an auto from a stop than from a roll any day. Its that tall first gear that kills them. From a roll I think they fare pretty well. The only auto max I've ever been in is Adams aka Chi99Limited and his moves. We're going to the track together next week so we'll see what he can do. He ran a 15.6 @ 91 with horrid 2.6 60' time. If he can pull off a 2.2 I am willing to bet he will be in the 14s, thats with just I/Y/E.
Old 06-06-2002, 01:42 AM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

It seemed like the stick driver had to move to another lane to continue the race on both times. But good race nonetheless.
Old 06-06-2002, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by Iilac
It seemed like the stick driver had to move to another lane to continue the race on both times. But good race nonetheless.
Finally my support start's rolling in 5spd driver's where art thou in time's of need?
Old 06-06-2002, 03:01 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by Dummy
yes but that is from a roll.... it might be a different story from a stop.... in my opinion the auto has the advatage over 5 speed from a roll because the driver of the 5speed may not know how to drive very well and have it in a gear too high, but in a auto it downshifts for you.

well since d_98se let the cat outta the bag, ask him if we have ever raced from a stop? A red light to be percise.

dainel- hey carl kills me EVERY time we race...
Old 06-06-2002, 03:13 AM

well since d_98se let the cat outta the bag, ask him if we have ever raced from a stop? A red light to be percise.

dainel- hey carl kills me EVERY time we race...
Owned again.Let's try this one more time from a dead dig then a roll finally top end .I figure i should at least get something from there.
Old 06-06-2002, 03:20 AM

ok. I already have your muffler and soon I will have your intake manifold.

But I won't have your weight..So yes I will race your 5spd.

Btw This is why we play the game, right? Numbers = Crap... anything can happen, wether you can drive or not ain't my problem, you want to run? be ready, you won't catch me slippin.
I think you missed the humor. It's a 2k2 with HLSD and a 6 speed. I think your auto has to get faster to beat one.

Stereodude
Old 06-06-2002, 03:35 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by Stereodude
I think you missed the humor. It's a 2k2 with HLSD and a 6 speed. I think your auto has to get faster to beat one.

Stereodude
No, I got it...guess my attempt at humor failed. Yes you would OWN me...lol.

I was just trying to be sarcastic. Maybe if we take the back wheels off, then it would be a fair race
Old 06-06-2002, 03:46 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by Cumalot

lol...true.

bags...how about on the street do you have OD on or off? I have OD on full time on the street. Seem like it doesn't make much of a difference from a stop. I only play with the OD off when I'm on the highway.
I like to feel like I am doing something so I have it off. But I also downshift and upshift manually. Honestly I don't think it changes one thing.

It's just a mental thing. And I am mental
Old 06-06-2002, 03:56 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

dave- yeah yall do run faster than we do. Like you said 3-4 MPH faster in the 1/4. That really sucks..lol..for me.

dmontzmax- I did beat d_98se from a roll, BUT I have also gotten slammed by 5 spds from a stop. Hey if you lose of well, your not going to win every race.

Finality- yes I am lowerd with eibach's & kyb agx's.. also have 235/40 18 rims & tires

Nealoc187- yeah the 60 foot time for me vary from a 2.2 to a 2.5. My 1/4 times are from 15.5 to a 15.9.

Iilac - I had to change lanes in the first race as well

daniel- TOP END RUN.. OK lol... man here we go again, the loop part 3

Old 06-06-2002, 05:49 AM
//M5'ver

if you have an aftermarket b pipe or a catback you are going to kill the other car everytime on high end.. if he is still on stock exchaust.. go get rid of that crimp man.. that will slow you down on top end everytime..

Old 06-06-2002, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by Turbo97GXE
if you have an aftermarket b pipe or a catback you are going to kill the other car everytime on high end.. if he is still on stock exchaust.. go get rid of that crimp man.. that will slow you down on top end everytime..
He doesn't have turbo...backpressure is good with that stock high compression. From a stop he would probably not do so well, but these runs were from high speeds.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:09 AM
//M5'ver

excuse me.. why are you arguing with me?

the aftermarket b pipe is a 2.5 inch pipe.. the stock exhaust is 2.25 all the way behind the cat.. and when it gets next to the spare tire well it has a crimp in the pipe.. which only has an opening of 1 inch... this is the reason why maxima's with aftermarket b pipes will run faster at higher speeds than stock b pipe maxima's..

have you ever pulled your exhaust down before?

Originally posted by Lime

He doesn't have turbo...backpressure is good with that stock high compression. From a stop he would probably not do so well, but these runs were from high speeds.

Old 06-06-2002, 08:23 AM

"WELL D WHAT HAPPEN WAS......"

"THE MAN" secrectly reset your ECU (when you were not looking) and then he put a stopper under your accelerator that would not allow you properly go wide open throttle and he strategically had cars get in your way-----hence the lane changes.....yup that's what happen
Sorry D I tried

Nice kill Bags!!!

Originally posted by d_98SE

Finally my support start's rolling in 5spd driver's where art thou in time's of need?
Old 06-06-2002, 08:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not really on the highway, we at like 70-80 mph, we still have 2 gears to accelerate with, but the auto has one. We can use 3rd and 4th gear, but the auto can only use 3rd all the way up to 130 mph.

DW

Originally posted by nardo'89SE
sticks hold the biggest advantage starting from a standstill, not as much when your going from a roll
Old 06-06-2002, 08:54 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

D-98se has an aftermarket B-pipie

the aftermarket b pipe is a 2.5 inch pipe.. the stock exhaust is 2.25 all the way behind the cat.. and when it gets next to the spare tire well it has a crimp in the pipe.. which only has an opening of 1 inch... this is the reason why maxima's with aftermarket b pipes will run faster at higher speeds than stock b pipe maxima's..
Not all aftermarket ones are 2.5 I am running 2.75 mandrel bent from the cat back.

Originally posted by Lime

He doesn't have turbo...backpressure is good with that stock high compression. From a stop he would probably not do so well, but these runs were from high speeds...
Backpressure is not as important as some people think.

BTW read what d_98se wrote, we did race from a dead stop. I walked him again, BUT that was before the y-pipe and b pipe. But just don't assume that a 5 spd will only/always when from a stop.

Just like you shoould not assume that an auto only/always win at highway apeeds.

Nismo2020 kicks my butt every time we race not matter how we start and he is a 5-sdp

This is the reason I wrote so mouch in the first post.

dwapenyi- your kinda correct,we can shift into 4th at 120ish, but our 3rd gear is the bomb from 90+. Yes you have another gear option, but our 4th gear is taller than your 5th. So if the auto has the HP it will pull 4th till about 173 MPH.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:54 AM

I bet this un-safe feeling is because you think your tail is gonna lift, right??

2 suggestions;

A) Get an RSB
B) Lower your rear tire pressure. I run 28-29 in the back and 35-36 in the fronts. My high speed stablity is awesome.

DW

Originally posted by Finality

Gutsy for some reason I do not feel safe when I pass 110mph for cruising speeds. I did do a 2 hour run @ 100 mph though. Once I passed 110 I had to use both hands.

Any chance your lowered?
Old 06-06-2002, 09:01 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by dwapenyi
I bet this un-safe feeling is because you think your tail is gonna lift, right??

2 suggestions;

A) Get an RSB
B) Lower your rear tire pressure. I run 28-29 in the back and 35-36 in the fronts. My high speed stablity is awesome.

DW

Do you like the low pressure in the back?

With my kumho's I was running about 38 psi in the back when I knew I was gonna run on the highway. My car is SOLID on the highway at very high speeds.

Do you change it for the outside temp?

For the summer here in atlanta, I run it at about 34 psi.

Just curious to see how other people like it.

My ride is very FIRM but I am also on eibach's and kyb agx's
Old 06-06-2002, 09:04 AM
//M5'ver

180 mph while the 5spd is geared to 155 ish ..

D-98se has an aftermarket B-pipie

Not all aftermarket ones are 2.5 I am running 2.75 mandrel bent from the cat back.

Backpressure is not as important as some people think.

BTW read what d_98se wrote, we did race from a dead stop. I walked him again, BUT that was before the y-pipe and b pipe. But just don't assume that a 5 spd will only/always when from a stop.

Just like you shoould not assume that an auto only/always win at highway apeeds.

Nismo2020 kicks my butt every time we race not matter how we start and he is a 5-sdp

This is the reason I wrote so mouch in the first post.

dwapenyi- your kinda correct,we can shift into 4th at 120ish, but our 3rd gear is the bomb from 90+. Yes you have another gear option, but our 4th gear is taller than your 5th. So if the auto has the HP it will pull 4th till about 173 MPH.

Old 06-06-2002, 09:23 AM
Ford Only.

I am confused now. Are we saying autos are generally faster than 5 speeds?
Old 06-06-2002, 09:35 AM
//M5'ver

depends on what gear and what speed.. from a dead stop.. a 5spd car should have the advantage.. and every car is different also.. some are stronger than others... some 5spd maxima's can't break mid 15's bone stock.. but deezo.. medic have done mid 15's stock. .and Ben and Mechanic have done low 15's stock.. all on Auto's..

Old 06-06-2002, 09:36 AM

Yeah, I like the setup. The pressures I mentioned are when the tires are cold. The front ususally warm up to 40 pounds and the backs go to 32-33. I'm running on H&Rs and Toks.

DW

Do you like the low pressure in the back?

With my kumho's I was running about 38 psi in the back when I knew I was gonna run on the highway. My car is SOLID on the highway at very high speeds.

Do you change it for the outside temp?

For the summer here in atlanta, I run it at about 34 psi.

Just curious to see how other people like it.

My ride is very FIRM but I am also on eibach's and kyb agx's
Old 06-06-2002, 09:42 AM

I have run many times at the track against 5 speed maxes. It is really all in the launch for them against me. When Veetec's car was stock, if he got the launch,then I never caught up, but If I won off the line, I pulled the whole time. Victim64 only has an intake on his 5spd max, and we are almost dead even. At the track, we literally run side by side the whole time, with me winning sometimes, and him winning sometimes. Both of their cars are really fast though, because they have run 14's stock. I ran a 5spd max on the street one time and killed him, but who knows if he can drive. Now that I am good at launching my car, I prefer to race 5 spd's from a stop, because I nail mine every time, and they vary.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:06 AM

backpressure: it's not important at higher speeds, true. It's really important on the low end. I'm not making digs at your ride though, because I have an auto too. I love the movie! I was actually thinking about getting the B, but I am getting a Y, and I don't want to have too much openness. I wish I could borrow a B and see how it feels lol.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:29 AM

Bags let's settle this the gentleman way.Friday night i will/might run ya from a dead stop a 30mph roll culimnating in a top speed roll 130is i wont't go over that.Get a cameraman and car and i will show up 7-801-8968.3 of 3.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:36 AM
//M5'ver

i might be in Atlanta in late august.. can i join in the fun too?

Old 06-06-2002, 10:39 AM

I would love to be the camera car but I am babying my new clutch, once I am broken in I will be at the track fellas.

Bags let's settle this the gentleman way.Friday night i will/might run ya from a dead stop a 30mph roll culimnating in a top speed roll 130is i wont't go over that.Get a cameraman and car and i will show up 7-801-8968.3 of 3.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:53 PM

Hm...strange, but today I did a bit of testing on the highway. For whatever reason, it seem like my car pull better with me just stomping on the gas with OD on then with OD off. With OD on, the car shifted at about 120mph, I'm not completely sure of this I just took a quite glance. After the car shifted, the pull was still quite strong. Weird. I thought having OD off was the way to go?
Old 06-06-2002, 01:17 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Hm...strange, but today I did a bit of testing on the highway. For whatever reason, it seem like my car pull better with me just stomping on the gas with OD on then with OD off. With OD on, the car shifted at about 120mph, I'm not completely sure of this I just took a quite glance. After the car shifted, the pull was still quite strong. Weird. I thought having OD off was the way to go?

what did you top out at?

I personally have found that if I shift into o/d at 130 or so the car pulls harder.

If I let the car shift at 123 or so it seems to take longer to get over the 130 hump.

But this is my experience and my car. Yours might be different. that's why each car has it's own optimal shifts points.
Old 06-06-2002, 01:20 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

wow, guess this turned into a monster on the board. Hmm.. we will work out the details. Cool, but remember I still love you
Old 06-06-2002, 01:22 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

define "faster"

if you mean 1/4 mile, no auto's are generally slower.
if you mean 0-60, no auto's are generally slower.

If you mean top speed, yes the 4th gen auto is faster than a 4th gen 5 spd.

I do not know the gearing on the 5th gen so I can not say. I would assume the 6th gear of a 2002 should be tall enough to hangout at 170, just a question of HP.
Old 06-06-2002, 01:44 PM

what did you top out at?

I personally have found that if I shift into o/d at 130 or so the car pulls harder.

If I let the car shift at 123 or so it seems to take longer to get over the 130 hump.

But this is my experience and my car. Yours might be different. that's why each car has it's own optimal shifts points.
Hm...good question, I haven't try how far I could take it with OD off. I don't usually go up to that kind speed though. Normally, I'm around 80-90 on the highway. This is to and from school for example. Only if I take a long trip, like to the track would I like go over 100+.

How about from 60-80, you think having OD off is faster?

I'm going to test it out for sure next time. I have a stopwatch, although not very accurate, but it does give me some idea if having OD on or off make any difference. I think I'm going to try that from 60-80mph with OD on and off, then see any difference it make. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 06-06-2002, 01:48 PM

Uh, how? The 4th gen auto is geared for a higher top speed, but it will never reach it. Even a 5 speed with closer ratio gearing does not have enough power to wind out 5th gear all the way.

That being said, most lightly modded 4th gen 5 speeds top out around 140+. I think autos top out the same, but they'll take langer getting there.

DW

. . If you mean top speed, yes the 4th gen auto is faster than a 4th gen 5 spd.. . .
Old 06-06-2002, 01:48 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Hm...good question, I haven't try how far I could take it with OD off. I don't usually go up to that kind speed though. Normally, I'm around 80-90 on the highway. This is to and from school for example. Only if I take a long trip, like to the track would I like go over 100+.

How about from 60-80, you think having OD off is faster?

I'm going to test it out for sure next time. I have a stopwatch, although not very accurate, but it does give me some idea if having OD on or off make any difference. I think I'm going to try that from 60-80mph with OD on and off, then see any difference it make. I'll keep you guys posted.

cool, just becareful and keep your eyes on the road

Quick Reply: 97 auto VS 97 5 spd .... the video