General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

A/F meter vs EGT meter

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 04:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

A/F meter vs EGT meter

To those with both the A/F meter and EGT meter, they both pretty much do the same thing: tell you if you're running rich or lean. So why have both? They look cool, but they aren't cheap, so I'm trying to figure out which to get.

Thanks,
Old 06-06-2002, 04:28 PM
I'm needing a caw

Cheaper a/f meters aren't nearly as accurate as a decent EGT probe. This is what I'm gathering here on the .org. So unless you invest in an expensive a/f, I would probably forgo that one and add something else in it's place. Fuel press, oil press, oil temp, water temp or whathaveyou
Old 06-06-2002, 04:33 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Go with boost and EGT. If you want another one, go with fuel pressure. If you want an even number, go with oil pressure. If you want a number divisible by 10, get a water temp gauge.

Do you see the snow ball effect? Hehehe
Old 06-06-2002, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Cheaper a/f meters aren't nearly as accurate as a decent EGT probe. This is what I'm gathering here on the .org. So unless you invest in an expensive a/f, I would probably forgo that one and add something else in it's place. Fuel press, oil press, oil temp, water temp or whathaveyou
Cool, thanks for the information. I was planning on going with an Autometer electronic A/F meter for $49, but maybe not anymore. I notice the EGT meter costs $112, so you're right it's probably more accurate. The A/F meter does look cool though
Old 06-06-2002, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Go with boost and EGT. If you want another one, go with fuel pressure. If you want an even number, go with oil pressure. If you want a number divisible by 10, get a water temp gauge.

I plan on putting three on the left A-pillar, one on each side of the existing gauge cluster, and three in the console.

Just kidding.. I'll just have the three on the A-pillar. I already have a boost gauge, and it looks lonely all by itself on the A-pillar.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:46 PM

I'd go with an electric Fuel Pressure Gauge and an electric EGT Gauge, which will probably require the separate purchase of an EGT Gauge Probe, about another $100. If you get Autometer Ultra-lite gauges from Summit, that'll come to about $400 or so.

Don't get mechanical gauges for the inside of your car. These require you to run hoses/lines inside the passenger compartment. No good. If you install electrical gauges, only a thin wire runs through the passenger compartment to the back of the gauge. That's good (& safe).

Cheap A/F meters only provide a light show. They are not quick nor accurate enough to do anything but. Good A/F meters come with their own broad-band sensors, and run $400+.

If you had *good* gauges for both EGT and A/F, you would have a redundant safety system to ensure your engine does not run too lean. If you were enjoying the benefits of an *expensive* boosted engine build-up, you might feel a redundant gauge set-up was well worth the added investment...

Good luck.
Old 06-06-2002, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the information! Lots of it too.

I plan on getting the Autometer Ultra-Lite EGT meter with probe, but the one with the probe is a mechanical gauge. The EGT without probe is listed as an electrical gauge for about $10 less. Weird?

I also plan on getting an oil pressure or temp gauge, and a tranny temp gauge.

I don't really see the need for a fuel pressure gauge. What can you tell from it, if you're leaking gas or something? Sorry.

I might also get a new boost gauge that has PSI measurements instead of bar. My Greddy boost gauge shows bar and it's hard to see how much boost you are running.
Old 06-06-2002, 06:38 PM

Re: A/F meter vs EGT meter

Originally posted by Tanmann9
To those with both the A/F meter and EGT meter, they both pretty much do the same thing: tell you if you're running rich or lean. So why have both? They look cool, but they aren't cheap, so I'm trying to figure out which to get.

Thanks,
EGT...
Old 06-06-2002, 06:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

hehe, I Have chosen the even # route just short of being divisible by 10.

Go with the EGT gauge, unless you buy a Tomei or Greddy A/F gauge.
Old 06-06-2002, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by bullseye
I'd go with an electric Fuel Pressure Gauge and an electric EGT Gauge, which will probably require the separate purchase of an EGT Gauge Probe, about another $100. If you get Autometer Ultra-lite gauges from Summit, that'll come to about $400 or so.

Don't get mechanical gauges for the inside of your car. These require you to run hoses/lines inside the passenger compartment. No good. If you install electrical gauges, only a thin wire runs through the passenger compartment to the back of the gauge. That's good (& safe).

Cheap A/F meters only provide a light show. They are not quick nor accurate enough to do anything but. Good A/F meters come with their own broad-band sensors, and run $400+.

If you had *good* gauges for both EGT and A/F, you would have a redundant safety system to ensure your engine does not run too lean. If you were enjoying the benefits of an *expensive* boosted engine build-up, you might feel a redundant gauge set-up was well worth the added investment...

Good luck.
so who sells the good A/F guages?
Old 06-06-2002, 07:15 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by matt calder

Ooooo..... what else did you get?

Nitrous pressure, fuel pressure, EGT, and .....?
Old 06-06-2002, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by matt calder

I really like the look of the Autometer A/F gauge versus the dual needles on the Tomei gauge. Can't find a pic of the Greddy gauge.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:38 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I really like the look of the Autometer A/F gauge versus the dual needles on the Tomei gauge. Can't find a pic of the Greddy gauge.
http://boostedmaximas.com/jane97se/i...ir_fuel_gauge/
Old 06-06-2002, 07:45 PM

Cool, thanks for the link. That's where I saw the pic of the Tomei gauge

The Greddy and Tomei look good. I still prefer the look of the Autometer, but it's not worth it if it's not accurate.

So what's a good reading on the Greddy look like? 8, 9, 10,...?
Old 06-06-2002, 07:48 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Cool, thanks for the link. That's where I saw the pic of the Tomei gauge

The Greddy and Tomei look good. I still prefer the look of the Autometer, but it's not worth it if it's not accurate.

So what's a good reading on the Greddy look like? 8, 9, 10,...?
You will fluctuate when off boost... low 12's when boosting.