General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

B&M Supercooler has extra parts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 07:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

B&M Supercooler has extra parts?

Anyone who has installed the B&M Supercooler transmission cooler, did you receive extra parts in the bag? It's sealed, but has several extra bolts, some metal rails, and 3 extra barbed hose ends. I can understand the extra barbed hose ends (different transmissions with different size fittings), but how do you know if you're supposed to use the rails or the bolts?

Thanks,
Old 06-06-2002, 07:24 PM
Banned

Re: B&M Supercooler has extra parts?

Originally posted by Tanmann9
Anyone who has installed the B&M Supercooler transmission cooler, did you receive extra parts in the bag? It's sealed, but has several extra bolts, some metal rails, and 3 extra barbed hose ends. I can understand the extra barbed hose ends (different transmissions with different size fittings), but how do you know if you're supposed to use the rails or the bolts?

Thanks,
There are two ways of mounting, you can either use the metal rails as you called them and screw or bolt it on or use the rubber pads and plastic tie wraps. I just used the tie wraps and didn't use any of the brass connectors at all. Its a pretty easy install and B&M give you enough hose you don't have to buy any extra like the others require. I mounted mine on the passenger side with connectors pointing down.
https://maxima.org/shoptalk/sub_modi...er/index.shtml
This shows the Hayden but all the stuff is pretty well applicable to the B&M. I did a complete fluid change at the same time and put in Mobil 1 Synthetic.
Jim
Old 06-06-2002, 07:33 PM

Re: Re: B&M Supercooler has extra parts?

Thanks for the info Jime, it is a universal cooler so I figured they included parts for different cars. Just wanted to be sure

About buying extra hose, the kit includes 4 ft of hose. According to Greg's instructions, that's the same length of hose that the Hayden provides, but most people say they still need to buy extra hose. Why is that?

I just got Don's VB mod like 3 weeks ago, and replaced the fluid then with Redline ATF. Got some more today for $9.50/bottle for the tranny cooler install.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:41 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: B&M Supercooler has extra parts?

Thanks for the info Jime, it is a universal cooler so I figured they included parts for different cars. Just wanted to be sure

About buying extra hose, the kit includes 4 ft of hose. According to Greg's instructions, that's the same length of hose that the Hayden provides, but most people say they still need to buy extra hose. Why is that?

I just got Don's VB mod like 3 weeks ago, and replaced the fluid then with Redline ATF. Got some more today for $9.50/bottle for the tranny cooler install.
I was sure there was more hose in the B&M, all I know is that I had enough to do the job and the other write ups I have read for Hayden all said they had to buy more.
You are ok on the ATF then, just thought I would throw that in because its the perfect time to change the fluid.
I have put my hand on it a few times just to check and it does get warm. I especially like the bypass setup for the colder climates to make sure the fluid gets warm, good feature.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: B&M Supercooler has extra parts?

Originally posted by Jime

I was sure there was more hose in the B&M, all I know is that I had enough to do the job and the other write ups I have read for Hayden all said they had to buy more.
You are ok on the ATF then, just thought I would throw that in because its the perfect time to change the fluid.
I have put my hand on it a few times just to check and it does get warm. I especially like the bypass setup for the colder climates to make sure the fluid gets warm, good feature.
Thanks for the reassurance, I'll buy some extra hose and heater hose just in case. Glad to know the cooler actually helps as advertised
Old 06-07-2002, 08:41 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Re: Re: Re: B&M Supercooler has extra parts?

Greg's idea behind that was to double the thickness of the hose in order to protect it as it is exposed to the ground. I bought some extra hose of the same diameter just in case the supplied hose wasn't long enough. I wound up using the bought hose on the longer side.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:36 AM

mine didn't come with extra parts

I ended up using special fuel hose instead of whatever they provided...safer.