General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My Max Shakes During Deceleration(HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 09:38 AM

My Max Shakes During Deceleration(HELP)

Hello,
I just recently brought my car in to see what the deal was with the shakes at higher speeds. Initially I thought it was tires and balance or something like that. I bought some new H rated tires which helped it a ton but the mechanics still cant figure out why it shakes at decel they took apart the axle and brakes looked for 4 hrs and cannot figure it out. Has anyone had this problem? Please write back and let me know if u can help me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

TousDaddyShakes At Decel, WHY
Old 06-07-2002, 09:45 AM

Re: My Max Shakes During Deceleration(HELP)

Originally posted by TousDaddy
Hello,
I just recently brought my car in to see what the deal was with the shakes at higher speeds. Initially I thought it was tires and balance or something like that. I bought some new H rated tires which helped it a ton but the mechanics still cant figure out why it shakes at decel they took apart the axle and brakes looked for 4 hrs and cannot figure it out. Has anyone had this problem? Please write back and let me know if u can help me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

TousDaddyShakes At Decel, WHY
Alignment? Tie Rods? Were the old tires worn unevenly? You didn't mention anything about an alignment. I'd look into one.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

this usually occurs when the brake rotors are warped and/or the wheels are out of alignment.

my last car shook like a frickin' wooden rollercoaster braking on an exit ramp when the rotors needed to be shaved.
Old 06-07-2002, 11:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

another vote for rotors - there's a TSB on this

i'd just replace them, don't believe in cutting Maxima rotors
Old 06-07-2002, 01:02 PM

I'm going through the same troubles right now >>

I've got this horrible shake at speeds of 65 to 85 and even more when I have to apply the brakes hard. Not only does the wheel shake when braking, but the pedal pulses as well. Going to swap out the rotors (free - 1 year warrantee on Bendix rotors) and see if that cures what ails my poor car.

Erica: Did the warped rotors cause your steering wheel to shake even when not applying brakes...at highway speeds?
Old 06-07-2002, 01:42 PM

Re: I'm going through the same troubles right now >>

A lot of people, including myself initially misconstrued this for the ABS, but I believe that it's warped rotors. I'm not 100% on this though.