General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Having problems when going shifting to D ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 09:49 PM

Having problems when going shifting to D ...

I got my max for barely 6 months, but just recently I came across something peculiar. When I shift from Park to Drive, it seems to not skip over the Neutral and just stay there. The only way to actually go to Drive is to shift up to Neutral and then back down to Drive. I've had this happen to me once, about 4 months ago, but that was a the only time it happened (during a quick 3-point U turn) before this started occuring late last week. Also, this seems to only occur when I press the button on the side of the shifter to shift from anything to D.

Just to give a little more background, I don't drive the Maxima too hard. On stop lights that I know will take some time, I usually shift up to N and wait for the green. When I shift back to D, I have recently started to just shift down and use the gas pedal without holding on the side button on the shifter or the brake pedal beforehand. Also, while I am parking, I would just go from R straight down to D without holding down that button on the side.

My dad is telling me that the shifting to N while at a long stop light is bad for the car and I'm better off just going into P if I must. Also, he claims me going straight from R to D without using the button on the side could be a big reason for this problem. The way I see it, me going from R to D is there to prevent a driver from overshifting to 2 by accident, so it must be an OK thing to do. Any possible solutions or insight on what could be the cause?
Old 06-09-2002, 10:18 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

BAH.....no worries......

simple and easy problem!! goto Nissan and ask them for replacement shifter bushings....about $2.38 and your all done!!!! the install takes about 15 minutes with simple tools...do a search in the 3rd gen forum and you'll find the directions!