General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

help: can i put dustboots on w/o paying $$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 05:12 PM

help: can i put dustboots on w/o paying $$$$$

sounds weird but maybe it's been done before? thing is, the shop who put my agx/progress in didn't put my front boots back on, maybe they were cashed, maybe the people just forgot.. either way.
now the thing is, i dont want to pay a large price just to take apart the front assemblies and put boots on. but im pretty sure i WANT them on!
some people say its ok without them, but its better to have. some people say you MUST have them on.
is there a way to protect the strut without having to take it apart and put boots back on?
Old 06-10-2002, 06:22 PM

Re: help: can i put dustboots on w/o paying $$$$$

Originally posted by sil SE
sounds weird but maybe it's been done before? thing is, the shop who put my agx/progress in didn't put my front boots back on, maybe they were cashed, maybe the people just forgot.. either way.
now the thing is, i dont want to pay a large price just to take apart the front assemblies and put boots on. but im pretty sure i WANT them on!
some people say its ok without them, but its better to have. some people say you MUST have them on.
is there a way to protect the strut without having to take it apart and put boots back on?
So your strut shaft is exposed then? I don't think that is good. Dirt can get into the tube which will ruin your struts. Put them on.
Old 06-10-2002, 06:28 PM

first go back to the shop you paid and tell them to finish the job right!

They make CV joint boots that seal down the side, you may be able to find one of those to cover your struts or split yours down the side and try and seal them.

Best option is to take it apart and do it right.
Old 06-10-2002, 06:53 PM

thats what im thinkin, im going to have to drive to ontario, 10 hours..to get family to do it for free
max is going to have a long drive in the next few weeks
Old 06-10-2002, 06:57 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

how the hell do they forget? what kind of shop did you go to? take the car back ASAP and tell them to do it right
Old 06-10-2002, 07:30 PM

it was like 3 months ago- im thinking, they were shot , hopefully and the ***** just threw em and didnt tell me. well i said that already.
if theres someone in the NJ area that wouldnt mind helpin me -
or i might get my friend to.
ah it feels ridiculous if i have to pay a shop to do this for me, when it shoulda been taken care of in the first place