General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HAD CAI installed today, engine light came on!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 05:36 PM
Sports Button FTW

HAD CAI installed today, engine light came on!!!!

my good friend at jersey city installed CAI for me today (same guy that held NE meet this past sunday) and my light came on...the car sounds so awesome and i feel the extra power especially in low end but i'm worried about this light...i see one connection on the right that is loose...don't know where it should be connected....what can i do to get this light out? what am i looking for?
Old 06-13-2002, 06:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: HAD CAI installed today, engine light came on!!!!

Make sure your MAF and air temp sensor are plugged in. Then just reset the ECU. Sometimes if you disconnect sensors while the battery is connected, you trip CEL.
Old 06-13-2002, 06:34 PM
//M5'ver

URL still hasn't changed http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html

Old 06-13-2002, 06:48 PM

air temp sensor? or maf?
Old 06-13-2002, 11:44 PM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Re: HAD CAI installed today, engine light came on!!!!

Originally posted by Mishmosh
Make sure your MAF and air temp sensor are plugged in. Then just reset the ECU. Sometimes if you disconnect sensors while the battery is connected, you trip CEL.
there is only one thing plugged in on the right side of CAI

on regular stock intake, two things are plugged in but we only found room for one plug in...
Old 06-14-2002, 03:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: HAD CAI installed today, engine light came on!!!!

Originally posted by meccanoble

there is only one thing plugged in on the right side of CAI

on regular stock intake, two things are plugged in but we only found room for one plug in...
I'm assuming that at the very least, the MAF is plugged in. I also hope your CAI is made for 95-96. On our cars, the CAI tube has a hole for the air temp sensor. Not sure where the 97-99's have their sensor at...
Old 06-14-2002, 10:36 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Re: Re: Re: Re: HAD CAI installed today, engine light came on!!!!

I'm assuming that at the very least, the MAF is plugged in. I also hope your CAI is made for 95-96. On our cars, the CAI tube has a hole for the air temp sensor. Not sure where the 97-99's have their sensor at...
I didn't even find a sensor when I had mine installed.
Old 06-14-2002, 10:44 AM
2K1HoMax

Re: HAD CAI installed today, engine light came on!!!!

my good friend at jersey city installed CAI for me today (same guy that held NE meet this past sunday) and my light came on...the car sounds so awesome and i feel the extra power especially in low end but i'm worried about this light...i see one connection on the right that is loose...don't know where it should be connected....what can i do to get this light out? what am i looking for?
most probably the air temp sensor, just plug it into the intake tube. the light should go off bu itself in a few days. but if it was the MAF sensor the car wouldnt start. so my best guess would be the air temp sensor, same thing happened in my car.

Old 06-14-2002, 11:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Frankencar Intake = more power, no CEL lights.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:31 PM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Re: Re: Re: HAD CAI installed today, engine light came on!!!!

inside the PR CAI box is a sheet showing this intake works for 95-99...didnt' even know there was a difference between the 95-96 and 97-99

i'm going to look for the plug in, if i can't find it, i'm just going to reset ecu and see what happens....
Old 06-14-2002, 03:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HAD CAI installed today, engine light came on!!!!

inside the PR CAI box is a sheet showing this intake works for 95-99...didnt' even know there was a difference between the 95-96 and 97-99

i'm going to look for the plug in, if i can't find it, i'm just going to reset ecu and see what happens....
air temp sensor is on the bottom end of the "box" i think...lil bitty sensor...
Old 06-14-2002, 07:28 PM
2K1HoMax

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HAD CAI installed today, engine light came on!!!!

Originally posted by Yellowbrother

air temp sensor is on the bottom end of the "box" i think...lil bitty sensor...
yup thats the one alright, it use to be plugged into that wierd air snorkel lookin thing.

Old 06-15-2002, 12:08 AM
Sports Button FTW

so both snap on things should be plugged in ehhh? tomorrow morning i'll make a check (if i can wake up early ) but i seriously only remember seeing a hook up for one...car starts so the MAF sensor should be hooked up....u guys say the other one is at bottom of CAI?
Old 06-15-2002, 10:20 AM
Sports Button FTW

My ECU cover is totally different...there are no screws holding mine, there are two plastic circles holding it and there is no imprint to screw...its like the whole thing can be pulled off or something but i'm not about to do that and break something unless yaw say its ok....why stuff gotta be so complicated for me? i have a 95...maybe mine is different....
Old 06-15-2002, 10:31 AM

My ECU cover is totally different...there are no screws holding mine, there are two plastic circles holding it and there is no imprint to screw...its like the whole thing can be pulled off or something but i'm not about to do that and break something unless yaw say its ok....why stuff gotta be so complicated for me? i have a 95...maybe mine is different....
it's suppose to look like that...ur take a philips and unscrew the fastener then pull it off...it's not a true screw...but more like a fastener with a plastic screw...the screw doesn't *** off the circle piece...just unscrew to where it pops out then pull...understand? u making it harder then it really is...