General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Questions about washing your max

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002 | 11:21 AM
www.autotalk.com

Questions about washing your max

Ok i know there is a thread on the 5th gen forums but after reading it over and over again, i was still left with some unanswered questions. So here are they:

1) Do i have to CLAY the car and then wash it? After i have washed my car using the 2 bucket method, is this the time to POLISH my car? What polish is a good one? (Brand model please)?

2) Do I HAVE to wax the car after polishing?

3) What can i use to clean (not polish) the door panels of my car?

4) Can you please outline the procedure to clean the engine compartment? I have Hanabi HID kit and other factory stuff that i dont want to get burnt. Please be a little detailed and i will appreciate it.

5) Can I use the same polish AND wax for my aftermarket rims as i am using for the car itself?

I understand some of the questions MIGHT sound stupid but thats the only way to learn and improve. I am dedicating this saturday morning to clean my car so need this information before that.

Only respond only if you know what you are talking about. Thankyou in advance.
Old 06-19-2002 | 12:39 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Questions about washing your max

Originally posted by Max4Speed
1) Do i have to CLAY the car and then wash it?
Yes. Wash the car with dish soap (to strip all the wax). Clay bar the car. Wash the car with car wash soap to get the clay bar "lube" and residue off.

No, you don't have to, but you should.
Old 06-19-2002 | 01:15 PM
OG and counting...

1) Do i have to CLAY the car and then wash it? After i have washed my car using the 2 bucket method, is this the time to POLISH my car? What polish is a good one? (Brand model please)?

Actually, you don't have to worry about washing it a second time after claying it. If you use the right amount of lube, residue becomes a non-issue. Just make sure you are doing a 2'x2' and have your towel handy to wipe the body after claying. After claying, I would recommend polishing the car. The polishes I would recommend are Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion, Klasse All-In-One, and Zaino (Couldn't tell you which number). Then you are probably going to use a swirl mark remover which is another form of polish. For that, I would use 3M or Meguiar's #9 version 2.0.

Most people wax after polishing. The wax does provide a small measure of protection for your handiwork. If you want a greater level of protection, then you would have to consider a polymer sealant like Zaino, Klasse, Meguiar's #20, or Blackfire.

Are you referring to the door jambs?

4) Can you please outline the procedure to clean the engine compartment? I have Hanabi HID kit and other factory stuff that i dont want to get burnt. Please be a little detailed and i will appreciate it.

I am afraid that is one aspect of detailing I have not even begun to fool with. Like you, I am nervous about frying different components.

5) Can I use the same polish AND wax for my aftermarket rims as i am using for the car itself?

Absolutely! My '02's wheels have been clayed and had Klasse All In One and Sealant Glaze on them. But the thing to remember is that this depends on the type of rim you are using. The procedure for mine is for the stock rims, painted rims, and certain clearcoated aluminum rims. Sometimes, you can get away with putting the sealant glaze on the rims.
Old 06-19-2002 | 01:26 PM
www.autotalk.com

Originally posted by PrinzII

Are you referring to the door jambs?
Door panels, like those TAN colored ones that have leather inserts in them and window controls and stuff.

Thanks for help though.
Old 06-19-2002 | 01:30 PM
OG and counting...

Door panels, like those TAN colored ones that have leather inserts in them and window controls and stuff.

Thanks for help though.
Lexol Leather Cleaner and Conditioner.
Old 06-20-2002 | 09:22 AM
www.autotalk.com

One thing i forgot, I got my car repainted in January, Is it OK for me to CLAY it?
Old 06-20-2002 | 09:28 AM
ejj

One thing i forgot, I got my car repainted in January, Is it OK for me to CLAY it?
When I've had body work done they told me not to do anything other than wash the new paint for 30 days.

I would think you should be fine be now. Call your body shop that did the work if you're not sure.
Old 06-20-2002 | 09:37 AM
www.autotalk.com

Originally posted by ejj5875

When I've had body work done they told me not to do anything other than wash the new paint for 30 days.

I would think you should be fine be now. Call your body shop that did the work if you're not sure.
They DID tell me about 60 days. But i wanted to get advice from some org member, sicne i trust this place more than any where for maxima stuff ;-)
Old 06-20-2002 | 09:40 AM
ejj

They DID tell me about 60 days. But i wanted to get advice from some org member, sicne i trust this place more than any where for maxima stuff ;-)
Well, either way you're well over that. I think you're more than safe to clay bar away...
Old 06-20-2002 | 09:43 AM
www.autotalk.com

I guess i will do that then.. thanks for your help dude