General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

New Member. Hope this isn't beaten to death.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 08:54 PM

New Member. Hope this isn't beaten to death.

Hey guys. I've been browsing the boards for the past few days, and I really like this place. I became interested in the Maximas after I saw a 2k2 burn by me one day . My old car was actually my mom's old Buick Century...that car was a joke. It was fun I guess, (Beat a V-6 Camaro from a stop upto 60) until the transmission died. I've been looking at getting a better car, and the 5th Gen Maximas have really caught my attention. This time, i'll make sure the car I get is good. I ain't getting a car that's slow, nor something that would leave me stranded on I-35 at night. I finally got to test-drive a 2K1 Maxima Automatic and it was very nice. The engine was very smooth...I fell in love with the engine. Keep in mind also that I have been driving my dad's Explorer...can you say, slow? But from my experiences with driving new Duratec Tauruses, Concordes, Accords and stuff in the league of the Max, the Max will trounce them all hands down. My question though is, the usual 2k1 Max goes for about $19K here. I found a $20K SE with 33,000 miles with a 5-Speed (Hell yeah!), leather and all of that stuff. I will check that one out Monday, can't wait to drive the manual.

But my question is, I am not getting anything older than a 2k. Not really because I love the 5th Gen (Which I do), but I don't want to put up with the maintenance of an older car. Would it be a better idea just to get a 2k2 6-speed, or go with the 2k1? Also, how much better is the 5,6-speed? I loved the auto but I prefer driving sticks myself. Nothing like hearing a V-6 scream at redline. If anyone could help me out here, that would be cool. I hope i'm not the millionth person to ask it. I probably am...but oh well I'm the next one.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:03 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

I have a 95 with 150000 miles on it. The only parts that I've had to replace (besides normal wear items) are the starter and an O2 sensor.

These are very reliable cars. (Unless your name is Eric and you kill birds with yours)

Old 06-22-2002, 09:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: New Member. Hope this isn't beaten to death.

I would opt for whatever trim/option level of a 2k2 Maxima you can afford. They are really really dealing now that 2k3 is out and 2k4 will be all new.

2k2 is arguably the finest quality Maxima Nissan has ever produced. Certainly you can't argue with the engine--forget the 5-speed vs. 6 speed. You want the 255hp 3.5L VQ!!! 2k and 2k1 really aren't faster than 4th gens... 2k2 has stock HIDS. 2k2 SE and GLE wheels look nicer than 2k/2k1.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:07 PM

Hmm well I come from the world of domestics where cars generally don't last longer than 100K miles...sad thing really. I try to buy American, but when the Japanese cars are better, you gotta go with what's cheap. I may look into an older one, but I like the feel of the 5th Gen so far.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:08 PM

Re: Re: New Member. Hope this isn't beaten to death.

Originally posted by Mishmosh
I would opt for whatever trim/option level of a 2k2 Maxima you can afford. They are really really dealing now that 2k3 is out and 2k4 will be all new.

2k2 is arguably the finest quality Maxima Nissan has ever produced. Certainly you can't argue with the engine--forget the 5-speed vs. 6 speed. You want the 255hp 3.5L VQ!!! 2k and 2k1 really aren't faster than 4th gens... 2k2 has stock HIDS. 2k2 SE and GLE wheels look nicer than 2k/2k1.
Ok I know I sound stupid, but what is VQ? I've heard so many people talk about it. Is that like a shift-it yourself auto?
Old 06-22-2002, 09:12 PM

If you are seriously considering a 2k2 there is no time like the present to buy. I bought a 2k2 SE nearly $5k below MSRP, and it seems that it continues to be that way still.

Test drive it, there is noticable difference from the 2001. Both have superb engines, with the 2k2 adding even more HP and tourque and the incredible 6-speed.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:14 PM

lol...
VQ refers to the engine series.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by soopermax02
If you are seriously considering a 2k2 there is no time like the present to buy. I bought a 2k2 SE nearly $5k below MSRP, and it seems that it continues to be that way still.

Test drive it, there is noticable difference from the 2001. Both have superb engines, with the 2k2 adding even more HP and tourque and the incredible 6-speed.
Yeah and especially considered the economic downturn recently (God I love a buyer's market ), this is a great time to buy a car. Looks like i'll be in debt for a while to my parents, but it won't matter. When you're in love, you tend to forget about everything else .
Old 06-22-2002, 09:16 PM

lol...
VQ refers to the engine series.
Oh doh...I need to learn to shut up and not look stupid. I noticed that they were advertising an Altima with a 2.5 Liter. No way. 3.5 Liter V-6 for me. 255 Horse and an over 7K RPM redline. I'll be there. Looks like i'm getting a 2k2 now. Damn you guys and damn you Nissan for making me spend whatever money I have .
Old 06-22-2002, 09:38 PM

Here's a link to freshalloy.com with great info on all of Nissan's production engines. The Maxima Engine has made Ward's autoworld's prestigious 10 best for more than a straight decade now, once even being called "the best V6 in all of automobiledom - regardless of price".

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/featu...nes/home.shtml

The VQ has made me a believer; I lie in bed at night constantly thinking about how incredible an experience driving my Maxima can be.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by Majisto

Oh doh...I need to learn to shut up and not look stupid. I noticed that they were advertising an Altima with a 2.5 Liter. No way. 3.5 Liter V-6 for me. 255 Horse and an over 7K RPM redline. I'll be there. Looks like i'm getting a 2k2 now. Damn you guys and damn you Nissan for making me spend whatever money I have .
lol - please thank them instead of scolding them for making you spend more money, afterall, there is no better smell than the smell of a new car.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:44 PM

The VQ has made me a believer; I lie in bed at night constantly thinking about how incredible an experience driving my Maxima can be.
Old 06-23-2002, 11:41 AM
You're Faster, I'm Better

Hmm well I come from the world of domestics where cars generally don't last longer than 100K miles...sad thing really. I try to buy American, but when the Japanese cars are better, you gotta go with what's cheap. I may look into an older one, but I like the feel of the 5th Gen so far.
I would buy American if it was worth my money. I put my money down where it had the most reliability and quality. It is a shame I can't support my own country because we make below par, for more money...
Old 06-23-2002, 11:51 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Screw the 2k2's...your too young for such a car. Get a 1995 SE 5-speed with low milage for around 9.5k, add a body kit, rims, clear/red's, suspension, clears, tint, exhaust, STS, ACT stage 2 clutch kit, and a supercharger, and you will be eating any N/A 2k2 maxima for breakfast. Hell, if it wasn't for our ghey granny FWD, you'd be eating top notch muscle cars for breakfast too.
Old 06-23-2002, 03:17 PM
2K1HoMax

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Screw the 2k2's...your too young for such a car. Get a 1995 SE 5-speed with low milage for around 9.5k, add a body kit, rims, clear/red's, suspension, clears, tint, exhaust, STS, ACT stage 2 clutch kit, and a supercharger, and you will be eating any N/A 2k2 maxima for breakfast. Hell, if it wasn't for our ghey granny FWD, you'd be eating top notch muscle cars for breakfast too.
in a way u have an excellent point there. and the cost would end up being about the same as it would for a new 2K2....make me think why did i not get a 4th gen sometimes.

Old 06-23-2002, 03:26 PM

Yeah I could do that. I see that's what you did to your car. What kind of times do you run? It just seems like after all of that work I would end up spending about as much if I bought new (Dealerships are really cutting deals on new ones), it would be just as danerous, even harder to replace, and I wouldn't have a warranty (A.K.A. excuses to roast clutches ). I may consider it though.

Btw, has anyone considered looking into using the 300 ZXs rear-wheel drive drivetrain in the Maxima? Would it work? That would be the ultimate mod. Nothing like the launching power of a rear-wheel drive
Old 06-23-2002, 03:50 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Yeah I could do that. I see that's what you did to your car. What kind of times do you run? It just seems like after all of that work I would end up spending about as much if I bought new (Dealerships are really cutting deals on new ones), it would be just as danerous, even harder to replace, and I wouldn't have a warranty (A.K.A. excuses to roast clutches ). I may consider it though.

Btw, has anyone considered looking into using the 300 ZXs rear-wheel drive drivetrain in the Maxima? Would it work? That would be the ultimate mod. Nothing like the launching power of a rear-wheel drive
I'm not supercharged. I'm young like you and poor. The rest of my body kit is going on monday, and my 5-speed conversion is set for July 13th. As far as performance I have a CAI, Y-pipe, and a catback into flowmasters into dual exhausts. With my 5-speed, and driving skills, I predict i'd be running mid-high 14's, low 14's if I launched Good.

RWD conversion? No that is not possible. The way our engine and basically whole car is setup is made for FWD. It would cost more then the car itself to build a RWD system, and would probubly be filled with problems.

The only place RWD has a big advantage over FWD is from a stand still, becuase all our weight is in the front and we get more hop and spin. From say a 30-40mph roll the difference between FWD and RWD lessens.
Old 06-23-2002, 04:46 PM

till it breaksdown
Old 06-23-2002, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale

till it breaksdown
True. As well built as the car is, it's gonna break down eventually, and if a 2k2 breaks down, it's under warranty .
Old 06-23-2002, 05:18 PM
2K1HoMax

True. As well built as the car is, it's gonna break down eventually, and if a 2k2 breaks down, it's under warranty .
go with the 2K2, its a safer investment. atleast u know ur money is more secure goin into the 2K2 then a 95 which is a damn good car, but still gotta look at the fact that its a 7yr old car. and the 2K2 has a warranty.

Old 06-24-2002, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax

go with the 2K2, its a safer investment. atleast u know ur money is more secure goin into the 2K2 then a 95 which is a damn good car, but still gotta look at the fact that its a 7yr old car. and the 2K2 has a warranty.
Not to mention insurance coverage...