General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Wrecked my Max

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 07:15 PM

Wrecked my Max

On the way to College Station this afternoon to shoot some bridal pictures for a friend of the family.

Sorry for the waste of bandwith ... but I had to get it off my chest.

Doing about 50-55 on TX Hwy 105 (perfectly safe speed considering the amout of rain coming down) and hit a puddle across the road at the top of the hill. Front let loose, got it almost under control when the back tires hit it and spun us 180. Passed through the oncoming traffic backwards into the bar ditch, spun 180 again hit a fence head on and took out about 150ft of fence sliding sideways with the passenger side door. ****er of the whole thing is that the early 90s grand am in front of us doing the same speed didn't hydroplane (thank you Toyo).

Sucks that it happend but my wife and I walked away and the side impact beams did exactly what they were supposed to do.

Definitey the hard way to get 5th gen paint issues resolved.

Mangled both front quarters, the front bumper, both passenger side doors and at least the radiator.

Anybody know a good body shop in Houston?

14,900 miles

Old 06-26-2002, 07:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sorry to hear it, dude. Glad everyone is OK and hope you're on the road again soon.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry to hear it. At least both of you were ok.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:57 PM

Sorry the Max was "mangled" (good word), but atleast you and your wife are alright. And hopefully there's not too much structural damage and all you need it a little paint. Hopefully good paint too, not OEM (does that sound ironic or what?).
-Cyrus
Old 06-26-2002, 08:01 PM

Whoa, sorry man! At least you're alright. We had some bad weather here in Austin not too long ago...glad I wasn't out on the road. At least you're alright.
Old 06-29-2002, 08:21 PM

Update on the Max ... Did 10,000 worth of damage. Nice part is they guy at the body shop is a max addict. He asked if I wanted to do HIDs since both assemblies are shattered and said the car would require a full body paint job because the OEM paint could not be exactly matched using quality paint. ie He won't use Nissan OEM paint. No structural damage but a fence post took out the radiator and the AC condenser, also needs 2 doors, 2 fenders, 1 hood and 1 front bumper.

I think I may see if the folks at the local nissan shop wnat the doors from the passenger side ..... rather impressive as far as the impact beams.

Oh and I saw the police report, apparently the girl in the Grand Am saw us spin and came back .... her statment to the cops was "traveling at around 50." First stop after getting out of the shop is going to be discount tire for some Yoko AVID DBs to replace the Toyos.
Old 06-29-2002, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by vandi
Update on the Max ... Did 10,000 worth of damage. Nice part is they guy at the body shop is a max addict. He asked if I wanted to do HIDs since both assemblies are shattered and said the car would require a full body paint job because the OEM paint could not be exactly matched using quality paint. ie He won't use Nissan OEM paint. No structural damage but a fence post took out the radiator and the AC condenser, also needs 2 doors, 2 fenders, 1 hood and 1 front bumper.

I think I may see if the folks at the local nissan shop wnat the doors from the passenger side ..... rather impressive as far as the impact beams.

Oh and I saw the police report, apparently the girl in the Grand Am saw us spin and came back .... her statment to the cops was "traveling at around 50." First stop after getting out of the shop is going to be discount tire for some Yoko AVID DBs to replace the Toyos.
Nice! Looked like you made the best possible out of a horrible situation.
-Cyrus
Old 06-29-2002, 09:10 PM

i guess its the season for car accidents. Just prey that there isnt any frame damage
Old 06-29-2002, 10:16 PM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

sorry 2 hear that

this is has been a ruffmo. for max's
Old 07-10-2002, 09:35 AM

Re: Wrecked my Max

On the way to College Station this afternoon to shoot some bridal pictures for a friend of the family.

Sorry for the waste of bandwith ... but I had to get it off my chest.

Doing about 50-55 on TX Hwy 105 (perfectly safe speed considering the amout of rain coming down) and hit a puddle across the road at the top of the hill. Front let loose, got it almost under control when the back tires hit it and spun us 180. Passed through the oncoming traffic backwards into the bar ditch, spun 180 again hit a fence head on and took out about 150ft of fence sliding sideways with the passenger side door. ****er of the whole thing is that the early 90s grand am in front of us doing the same speed didn't hydroplane (thank you Toyo).

Sucks that it happend but my wife and I walked away and the side impact beams did exactly what they were supposed to do.

Definitey the hard way to get 5th gen paint issues resolved.

Mangled both front quarters, the front bumper, both passenger side doors and at least the radiator.

Anybody know a good body shop in Houston?

14,900 miles

Old 07-10-2002, 11:03 AM
Lightly modded

First stop after getting out of the shop is going to be discount tire for some Yoko AVID DBs to replace the Toyos.
im sorry to hear about your car, but its now a great situation to get some "necassary" mods in your car

what kind of toyos were they?
Old 07-10-2002, 11:24 AM
pro

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your wreck. Do you have insurance? Also you might want to go to the spot you had a wreck at and see if there was anything on the road that caused it to be flooded. If there is something you might be able to get the state to pay for your damages. My friend was in a wreck a few years back where there was a leak from one of the cities water lines and it flooded the street. This then froze and he lost control when he went into that intersection. 4 other people did the same thing at the same time and the city paid for it all. This was good cause his rates didn't go up.
Good Luck,
Paul
Old 07-10-2002, 11:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just to warn you, the yokohama avid db's get loud towards the end of their life. I have them now with about 10% of the tread left and I can't wait to get them off!