General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

automatic racers!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2000, 09:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How many people here that drives an automatic race often? I just want to see know how you guys did, and what kind of cars you beat. Also, do any of you just leave in Drive, and simply mash the gas? I know that some of you, including myself, sometimes manually shift to get the most out of the car. Most of my friends that race often drive a manual. When they hear me trying to race, they would laugh. They would say, "You race? But you drive an automatic!" I don't get it, what does driving an automatic have to do with racing? I just have to prove them wrong sometime. One of my friend drives a Honda Civic EX 5spd. He thinks just because he have a 5spd., he'll beat me. Of course, I prove him wrong. And he just came up with this excuse, "I miss a shift." Whatever. However, I don't race often, actually hardly at all. Unless I'm provoked of course.
Old 12-06-2000, 09:21 PM
djmaxima

Your friend is crazy,i will rarely race civic ex's or less anymore.Its a waste of time and i have auto 97 se.Makes me wonder whats he smoking,not that theres anything wrong with that!Anyway,my g/f has a 97 civic ex 5-speed.Its a great car and i love it,but only in dreams will it be close.Maybe if he has quite a few modds(or serious boost)would i think it would come close.Just my two cents;

Old 12-06-2000, 09:26 PM

A lot of people feel that a stickshift offers better control than an automatic. That's true, and stickshifts have better acceleration too (more gear ratios, direct clutch).

But with your automatic, you should kill the Civic EX when you 'race.'

Old 12-06-2000, 09:37 PM
OG

Indeed, at first i'd race anything with wheels including wheelchairs, but now it's like ehh, what's the use, I know I can beat em. Now it's only eclipse's, prelude vtec's and integra's.(I've got a lifetime grudge)
Originally posted by djmaxima
i will rarely race civic ex's or less anymore.Its a waste of time
Old 12-06-2000, 09:51 PM

=]

yea good name for bbs other than tht we are too of the same people i got 97 se here baby and im a racer!!!the thing about 5spd race lot of those they get u in 1st gear civic ex si in 1st gear they win then 2nd ahahah where he go if its a ex. si he right their with ya 3 rd gear hits peace out!~ if u have stock rims rev to 1k rpm holding brake rolling strt helps a lot. wht i found out good way rev while yur slowing down to the stop light then hold brake and get ready to boost. one time i was reving redline showin off cai and light turn greeen hehe love my tranny so waited 2 sec then went. tht was embarssing =[ o well next light he got embaressed. cars beat mr2 1000000000 civics lot of integras gsr are quick give u run for money. v6 american car omg pos no comparssion. v8 errr race lot of them lost lost lost i always pick on the bulllys. peace drive safe and whenever have creepy feeling at a red light dont do it, trust yur instinks
Old 12-06-2000, 10:25 PM

Hmmm...

Yes you will beat the civic EX with out any probs. Friend of mine has it and it barely does low 16's with i/h/e. You guys shouldn't talk down on civics, most of my friends have hybrid civics with b18a(gsr motor), that does low 14's all day. These hybrids are extremely quick, I have no chance against them.
Anyways cars I beat- v-6 accord i/e(1 carlength), non hybrid civics(yawn), 99 prelude i/e(close but with my vb mod I pull on him by 70mph). Integras are hard to beat, well at least my friend's GSRs(don't underestimate them).
I don't want to start a flame here but our autos are not that fast(unless you have the Vb mod), most races against tegs&ludes are going to be close. I sometimes get annoyed when people say they totally blew away the other guy. We're all just riced out, unless you have NOS or SC. Just my opinions .
Old 12-06-2000, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
How many people here that drives an automatic race often? I just want to see know how you guys did, and what kind of cars you beat. Also, do any of you just leave in Drive, and simply mash the gas? I know that some of you, including myself, sometimes manually shift to get the most out of the car. Most of my friends that race often drive a manual. When they hear me trying to race, they would laugh. They would say, "You race? But you drive an automatic!" I don't get it, what does driving an automatic have to do with racing? I just have to prove them wrong sometime. One of my friend drives a Honda Civic EX 5spd. He thinks just because he have a 5spd., he'll beat me. Of course, I prove him wrong. And he just came up with this excuse, "I miss a shift." Whatever. However, I don't race often, actually hardly at all. Unless I'm provoked of course.
I do not race that much but when I do I often shift it down to 2nd gear. YOu can get up to 70 or so before you hit redline. Just kick their *** in second and there is no reason to race to 100+ on public roads. Just shift back into drive after you let off the gas of course. Most cars can not keep up.
Old 12-06-2000, 10:38 PM
OG

Re: Hmmm...

Come on now! You talk as if autos ain't worth shiznit.(Hope I'm not offending anyone) Auto's don't lose that much power in comparison to a 5spd. If you know how to get a good start w/an auto, you can go faster than most people actually give those w/auto's credit for. Look at Mercedes for example, they use auto's in their lemans cars. They can't be all that bad right.

Originally posted by MightyMax
Yes you will beat the civic EX with out any probs. Friend of mine has it and it barely does low 16's with i/h/e. You guys shouldn't talk down on civics, most of my friends have hybrid civics with b18a(gsr motor), that does low 14's all day. These hybrids are extremely quick, I have no chance against them.
Anyways cars I beat- v-6 accord i/e(1 carlength), non hybrid civics(yawn), 99 prelude i/e(close but with my vb mod I pull on him by 70mph). Integras are hard to beat, well at least my friend's GSRs(don't underestimate them).
I don't want to start a flame here but our autos are not that fast(unless you have the Vb mod), most races against tegs&ludes are going to be close. I sometimes get annoyed when people say they totally blew away the other guy. We're all just riced out, unless you have NOS or SC. Just my opinions .
Old 12-06-2000, 10:49 PM

No I didn't say autos were bad>>

I just said that its just not that fast, compared to manuals. The gearing is just too tall to be really competitive from stand still. Actually with my VB mod now I kinda like it for its consistency. I race my friends Maxima 5speed on occasions. Surprise! Its usually dead even or if he gets a really good launch he'll get me by half a carlength to 70mph. Yeah, I get **** from my friends for my auto but usually I'm laughing at them after I race them.
Old 12-06-2000, 11:10 PM
OG

How does that vb mod feel anyway? Is hard on the tranny and does it shift smooth?
Old 12-07-2000, 12:34 AM

Re: Hmmm...

Maybe Integra GSR's will beat auto Max's, but not normal Integra's. They are pretty slow, and a modded auto Max will beat it pretty good. Sure, 5 speed Maxes are faster, but auto's are not all that far behind. What, maybe one second max in the 0-60? That can easily be overcome by superior driving.

Originally posted by MightyMax
Old 12-07-2000, 05:52 AM

well

I haven't been racing that much lately for fear of my tranny dying but..

AT the track ...
put car in 1 .. brake torque to 1200-1400 rpm..mash the gas..
put into 2 at 5800rpm...
put into D (with O/D off) at 5800 rpm..

this is the best way to do it ..i've found..
on the street...i just leave it in D and maybe brake torque....
on the highway i turn the O/D off and mash it .. thas it ...

Ant
Old 12-07-2000, 07:53 AM

Just a note...and off topic(a little)...a few months ago i read in an article where they pitted the Mercedes AMG(auto) against a sticked out corvette...on test the ONLY way the vette beat out the mercedes was with PERFECT redline shifts...other than that...the Mercedes won everytime

everyone thinks they're a good driver but I hardly think the majority of people on the road have the skill of a professional racer

in terms of the Level 10 vb i had done this tuesday..ponder this...I was driving down on the 280 and I didnt feel ANY shifts at all...after second I was just cruising and i didnt realize i was going 85 mph because I usually look down after my car shifts gears(habit)...dont think its worth every penny but im happy with it=P

and contrary to popular belief on this forum=P I learned at Level 10 that the VB actually makes the fluid run COOLER

[Edited by Pmp-n8a on 12-07-2000 at 10:01 AM]
Old 12-07-2000, 10:32 AM

Pmp-n8a: What you did at Level 10? A VB mod?

I know that getting a VB upgrade will help the automatic transmission a lot. I know SteveSC(not sure of his username, but he lives in Chicago)has an automatic, but he did some kind of high stall torque converter thing, something like 3k rpm. stall. What does that mean? And what does it do?

Actually, my initial post should have been typed better. I want to clarify that I already did race my friend's Civic EX. And yes, I beat him, quite handily I might add. That was when he came up with the excuse that he missed a shift. haha...Oh well. Btw, he's stock like me. Just only some comestic stuff.

Preludes and Integra GSR are hard to take out. Honestly, I have yet to take one out. Although I only raced like one Prelude(5spd.), and two GSR. I know that they had at least i/e, but who knows what else. I don't know, maybe I just didn't really tried hard enough. Like I said before, I'm not a racer, so I don't really have experience. And often, when I race, or think I'm racing, I don't even mash the gas all the way. More like 3/4. For some reason, I think by mashing all the way, I would harm the car. Yes, stupid huh? I probably just need some performance mods like CAI, Y-pipe, etc. Right now, I just don't have the mods to be confident to "race." Sad, just sad.
Old 12-07-2000, 10:43 AM

Me too man. I'm always scared to completely floor the car, some phobia I guess. Oh well, I'll get over that soon
Old 12-07-2000, 10:47 AM

Sam at Level 10 explained the torque convertor briefly...supposedly with the reduced weight of the convertor and modified internals...he claimed i could benifit...like half a second to 7/10's of a second...its some money but it closes the gap somewhat between a stick and auto
Old 12-07-2000, 11:02 AM

Flooring

LOL. Flooring will not do any harm to your car, especially with an automatic, because it'll shift before the redline. Mine actually shifts at 6200 rpms when in D. Just goto an open street late at nite and floor it, once you get used to it, its no biggie. Don't floor it right away on starts, you'll get wheelspin=bad.
Old 12-07-2000, 11:16 AM

Yes, maybe it's some kind of phobia. Actually, I did floor it once. However, I probably floor it too soon, at start up, so all I got was wheelspin. That was on stock tires, I'm not sure how long I was spinning. I was like WTF?! Maybe that's why I haven't really floor it ever since.
Old 12-07-2000, 12:18 PM

umm..

Yes wheelspin is bad.. flooring is not bad...

how did you get wheelspin with no performance mods..
When my car is cold i can get it to chirp and maybe a little spin from the tires...
how do you get your tires to spin by just mashing the peddle from a stop ?

Ant
Old 12-07-2000, 01:47 PM
OG

When I first bought the Max, I'd get the wheels to spin almost at every stop light and sign by barely even pressing on the gas. After a while, it kinda died out, meaning not as much wheelspin. After throwing on some bolt on's, the wheelspin has returned, and I've been running stock tires from the beginning.
Old 12-07-2000, 02:48 PM

I can not spin then no matter how hard I try. Whats up with that. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I live at 6000 ft.
Old 12-07-2000, 04:57 PM
OG

I'm originally from Colorado Springs, Co and I previously owned a 3rd gen Max. You are absolutely right. It is damn near impossible to spin the tires with an auto w/out revving the engine to at least 3gs on the on the tac.

Originally posted by Canuck
I can not spin then no matter how hard I try. Whats up with that. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I live at 6000 ft.
Old 12-07-2000, 05:53 PM

I can get some spin in my auto, not a ton, but it spins. I think since we have Z rated tires, it's a bit harder to spin, cause of the better traction. But if I really put some power into it, it will still get a bit of spin.
Old 12-07-2000, 06:05 PM
OG

Actually, if you've ever gone to the track and tried to drag rae on 17's or 18's, you'll find that it's difficult to get as much traction as you would with the stock 15's.

Originally posted by MaxRod33
I think since we have Z rated tires, it's a bit harder to spin, cause of the better traction.
Old 12-07-2000, 06:12 PM

Ummm...I respect your opinion, but I've heard from alot of other people that the Z's on your 17's will give better traction than stock tires. I had stocks, and it was much easier to spin on them. The Z's are designed to give more traction. 17's slow you down a tad bit, but I don't think you will lose traction on them.
Old 12-07-2000, 08:14 PM

I don't really know how I got wheelspin when I don't have performance mods. I did rev it a bit high, like around 2500rpms. And I just mash the darn gas. I was kidding about spinning for who knows how long, but it just seem that way. It was on stock wheels and tires at that time. Now that I got 18" rims, and Nitto 555 tires, I don't seem to spin as much. I don't know, maybe it's just me. I really need to get some performance mods. Then maybe I'll try to race. Maybe go with CAI first, then maybe Y-pipe. That will have to do for now, I'm a bit short on $$$. Later if I have the money, I'll get Don's or Level 10 VB mod, and maybe NOS. Man, I need a better paying job!
Old 12-07-2000, 08:26 PM

Cumalot, the 18's and new tires are what slowed down your spin. When I put on my 17's, I was like "WTF?" "My car spins less now?" Then I figured out it was because of the better traction on the tires. BTW, Cumalot is a funny name,plus from talking with you, I have respect for what u have to offer to the forum...but other people might be offended, and anyway u'd get more respect here if you change your name. Just my opinion. Peace man.

I don't really know how I got wheelspin when I don't have performance mods. I did rev it a bit high, like around 2500rpms. And I just mash the darn gas. I was kidding about spinning for who knows how long, but it just seem that way. It was on stock wheels and tires at that time. Now that I got 18" rims, and Nitto 555 tires, I don't seem to spin as much. I don't know, maybe it's just me. I really need to get some performance mods. Then maybe I'll try to race. Maybe go with CAI first, then maybe Y-pipe. That will have to do for now, I'm a bit short on $$$. Later if I have the money, I'll get Don's or Level 10 VB mod, and maybe NOS. Man, I need a better paying job!
Old 12-07-2000, 08:38 PM

flooring..

it scares me that my car down shift two gear when I push hard on the pedal...it is not on the floor yet...
don't happen much...I was on 4th running 40mph..
push hard a bit..shifts to 3 then 2...
and I went..."What...wow..."
maybe I am imagining stuff?...
it jumps back to 3 when I hit 60 to 65...

Old 12-07-2000, 08:51 PM

I remember back in high school I had a friend who owned a stock 1988 or 1989 CRX Si 5-speed. I told him I just got a 98 Max. He asks if it was an auto or stick. I said auto and he laughs at me and says he can take me without breaking a sweat. I didn't say anything after that because at that time I thought he could really take me since he had a 5-speed but i know the truth now!
Old 12-07-2000, 09:14 PM

MY car would spin all the time stock with cheap tires. The car is a lot faster now, but will not spin out by just pressing the gas. Are you guys neutral dropping or torque braking the cars to spin with an auto?

Also, is the car faster if you manually shift it? I tried both, and its about the same.
Old 12-07-2000, 09:40 PM

No neutral dropping...

just power break if you want to do it..
Old 12-07-2000, 10:30 PM

shifting in auto

I've tried shifting with my 99 auto, start in 2 and take it to about 40-50mph, shift to D. It doesn't seem to make a difference in terms of acceleration times. If you're flooring your Max in D, your auto will take you 5400 RPM or so in first and very close to redline in second. Manually shifting on the column (in my experiences) will yield the same effect. Correct me if I'm wrong. I've only done this twice to see if there were differences.
Old 12-08-2000, 01:49 AM

Okay Gear ratios for you guys

On the 4th gen Maximas. 1st gear 2.79, 2nd 1.55, 3rd 1.00, 4th .69, Final 3.62:1. Maximum speed in gears 1st 45mph, 2nd 79mph, 3rd 120mph. This means that when you're going around 45-65mph it is normal for our Maxima to downshift to 2nd gear and you should keep your foot on the pedal until 75 mph for maximum acceleration. If you're going less than 35 mph, Maxima will downshift to 1st. I hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2000, 06:00 AM

okay

you guys got wheelspin by brake torqueing it ...
if from a standstill on a flat surface you mash the gas you will chirp maybe but no whellspin ..this is for a stock max with stock tires..

canuck: i think it was you who asked why you can't chirp the tires...it's partly elevation ..partly cuz you have a 93GXE ..it had the VG motor which is 160hp..as opposed to a 93 SE or all 4th gens which have 190hp motors (either VE or VQ)
you will not be able to spin tires.. maybe chirp ..i drove a 92GXE for a year..same motor as you...it's possible to chirp maybe....

let me say this one more time
NEUTRAL DROPPING IS BAD ...DO NOT NEUTRAL DROP YOUR MAX !!!

thank you..

Ant
Old 12-08-2000, 10:26 AM

Cumalot, the 18's and new tires are what slowed down your spin. When I put on my 17's, I was like "WTF?" "My car spins less now?" Then I figured out it was because of the better traction on the tires. BTW, Cumalot is a funny name,plus from talking with you, I have respect for what u have to offer to the forum...but other people might be offended, and anyway u'd get more respect here if you change your name. Just my opinion. Peace man.

Change my username? What for? I think I have one of the most original username on this board. Nah, I don't think people here will get offended by my username, most people here are pretty cool, and very open minded. So, no worry. As far as respect, honestly, it doesn't bother me whether someone respects me, or not. If they say, "hey, Cumalot is cool guy." That's good enough for me.

[Edited by Cumalot on 12-08-2000 at 12:29 PM]
Old 12-08-2000, 10:32 AM

Torque brake, don't neutral drop. I never did neutral drop, nor will I do so in the future. That's just asking for it.

I only get wheelspin if I torque brake. If I just mash the gas from a stop, I do not get wheelspin. I just get a chirp...sometime, and sometime I get nothing. So, Ant, you're right about that.
Old 12-08-2000, 02:05 PM

Alright man, its all good. You're right, at least its original

Change my username? What for? I think I have one of the most original username on this board. Nah, I don't think people here will get offended by my username, most people here are pretty cool, and very open minded. So, no worry. As far as respect, honestly, it doesn't bother me whether someone respects me, or not. If they say, "hey, Cumalot is cool guy." That's good enough for me.

[Edited by Cumalot on 12-08-2000 at 12:29 PM]