General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 12:50 PM
//M5'ver

Originally posted by BrianV
Ok well is it really really really necessary to change it immediately. That's $25 of brand new oil. Can it wait until this weekend?

Also, this morning I drove it on the interstate and it seemed smooth and wasn't making the sounds.
hmm lets see.. $25 on new oil vs $3500 on a brand new V2 SC and another Engine..

the choice is yourssssssssssssssssss... captain planet.. he is a hero.. going ot take polution down to zero...

Old 07-01-2002, 01:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok well is it really really really necessary to change it immediately. That's $25 of brand new oil. Can it wait until this weekend?

Also, this morning I drove it on the interstate and it seemed smooth and wasn't making the sounds.
It's totally up to you. I wouln't leave it in there.
Old 07-01-2002, 02:22 PM

IMHO, leave it in their till the weekend and just take it easy on the motor. Dont floor it or go over 3000rpms and you should be fine. IMHO
Old 07-01-2002, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
IMHO, leave it in their till the weekend and just take it easy on the motor. Dont floor it or go over 3000rpms and you should be fine. IMHO
Not go over 3000 RPM, that'll be hard, I think I'll just change it out today, damn that really sucks.
Old 07-01-2002, 02:35 PM

Not go over 3000 RPM, that'll be hard, I think I'll just change it out today, damn that really sucks.
Sorry dude.
Old 07-01-2002, 02:42 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & proble

Old 07-01-2002, 04:39 PM

5-30's in, car is quieter, smoother, and appears to be more responsive.

At the store, I saw this new Mobil-1 though. It's a darker grey bottle and it advertises that it is the regular mobil1 with extra detergent to clean the engine and make it last longer (typical claims, better mpg, more power).

Anyone familiar with this new mobil1? It's in just about every viscosity. This is on top of their new quote-on-quote supersync technology they're advertising on all their bottles.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:48 PM

At the store, I saw this new Mobil-1 though. It's a darker grey bottle and it advertises that it is the regular mobil1 with extra detergent to clean the engine and make it last longer (typical claims, better mpg, more power).

Anyone familiar with this new mobil1? It's in just about every viscosity. This is on top of their new quote-on-quote supersync technology they're advertising on all their bottles.
That sounds like Mobil's new formula. They aren't making Tri-Synthetic anymore, their new one is the "patented SuperSyn Anti-Wear System". The changed their formula to meet the new "SL" standard and are also trying to be more forward looking over the next few years. They're still playing catch-up to Amsoil though.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by iwannabmw

That sounds like Mobil's new formula. They aren't making Tri-Synthetic anymore, their new one is the "patented SuperSyn Anti-Wear System". The changed their formula to meet the new "SL" standard and are also trying to be more forward looking over the next few years. They're still playing catch-up to Amsoil though.
No all their oils are that SuperSyn system. This is a different bottle, it's darker grey and it says liek Mobil1 5w-30 Cleaning Oil or something. It advertises cleaning and longer lasting, and blah blah
Old 07-01-2002, 07:05 PM

No all their oils are that SuperSyn system. This is a different bottle, it's darker grey and it says liek Mobil1 5w-30 Cleaning Oil or something. It advertises cleaning and longer lasting, and blah blah
Oh, okay, that's their "Drive Clean" blend.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:18 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Oh, okay, that's their "Drive Clean" blend.

Empirically, that's a pretty good synthetic blend, unlike the Syntec Blend that's garbage compared Mobil 1's.....
Old 07-01-2002, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Empirically, that's a pretty good synthetic blend, unlike the Syntec Blend that's garbage compared Mobil 1's.....
Well it's not a hybrid blend, it is actually a fully synthetic to my knowledge. At any rate, is it any good, is it worth using over the straight 5-30 Mobil 1?
Old 07-02-2002, 05:41 AM

Well it's not a hybrid blend, it is actually a fully synthetic to my knowledge. At any rate, is it any good, is it worth using over the straight 5-30 Mobil 1?
Yes, it is a blend.

Mobil 1 makes:

Drive Clean Conventional Dino
Drive Clean Part Synthetic Blend

SuperSyn Full Synthetic

Personally, I don't like synthetic blends. That does not mean it won't work fine for you. I would just rather buy Castrol GTX or a good synthetic such as Amsoil or Mobil 1.
Old 07-02-2002, 07:05 AM

Yes, it is a blend.

Mobil 1 makes:

Drive Clean Conventional Dino
Drive Clean Part Synthetic Blend

SuperSyn Full Synthetic

Personally, I don't like synthetic blends. That does not mean it won't work fine for you. I would just rather buy Castrol GTX or a good synthetic such as Amsoil or Mobil 1.
I agree. If you want the benefits of a synthetic, you buy a synthetic. If you don't care, just use conventional. The blends, IMO, don't offer enough advantages to offset the price increase.
Old 07-02-2002, 07:13 AM

I agree. If you want the benefits of a synthetic, you buy a synthetic. If you don't care, just use conventional. The blends, IMO, don't offer enough advantages to offset the price increase.
Mobil 1 Drive Clean ain't bad.

TBN: 9.1

Castrol Syntec and Valvoline SynPower aren't much better, at 10.4 and 9.6, respectively.

At $2.20 or so a quart that isn't bad, but Castrol GTX has an initial 8.4 TBN, and you can get it right now for $1.20 quart at K-Mart. Hard to beat the GTX on bang for the buck.....
Old 07-02-2002, 07:43 AM

Ok good to know, I also agree with the not opting for blends, either go with gtx or fully synthetic.

On antoher note, I got a service engine soon light on my way to work today. I reset the ECU after ensuring my gas cap was on (after i filled the tank up i was smelling fumes for a while. I also checked MAF Sensor and Temp Sensor. After resetting it hasn't come on in like 15 miles of highway driving. Hopefully it stays off.

I did remove my MAF screen like last week. Regarding the oil, I don't think there is a sensor that would be complaining about oil weight/pressure. Not to mention I already put the 5-30 back in.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:34 AM

I just put some 10W 40 in my 92 GXE. Is this OK?

thanks
Old 07-02-2002, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by john402052000
I just put some 10W 40 in my 92 GXE. Is this OK?

thanks
It's fine but you really don't need to go up in weight. 5w30 and 10w30 does the job good enough. I came from the old school in believing that thicker oil is better but with the newer engines don't need it.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:08 AM

I did remove my MAF screen like last week. Regarding the oil, I don't think there is a sensor that would be complaining about oil weight/pressure. Not to mention I already put the 5-30 back in.
The CEL isn't an oil issue. Before you reset the ECU, did you read the code?
Old 07-02-2002, 01:00 PM

The CEL isn't an oil issue. Before you reset the ECU, did you read the code?
I tired to read the code, but by time I got back in my seat and pen in paper the thing was already flashing, that's why I reset it again hoping it would repeat the process, but instead it just reset. I'll have to wait for it to pop up again for me to read the code.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:03 PM
//M5'ver

I tired to read the code, but by time I got back in my seat and pen in paper the thing was already flashing, that's why I reset it again hoping it would repeat the process, but instead it just reset. I'll have to wait for it to pop up again for me to read the code.

it doesn't matter if was already flashing.. it keeps flashign over and over again the same code(s)

Old 07-02-2002, 01:19 PM

Oh ok, I thought I had to catch it from the beginning. Well if it comes back I'll throw the code on the board and you guys can tell me what it is, I don't have a book or car manual.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:21 PM

I think it may have to do with the fact that it's been raining HELLA hard and the roads are like near flooded.

My car is VERY low, so there is a good chance that O2 sensors might be getting really wet. Also, my car lacks the underbody plastic protective coverings that go over the engine area on the right side (shop forgot to put it back in after engine swap), so water can get onto the lower right section of the engine, sometimes my belts slip because they get wet, but that's about it, happens like once every day in the deepest of rain conditions.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:41 PM

I think it may have to do with the fact that it's been raining HELLA hard and the roads are like near flooded.

My car is VERY low, so there is a good chance that O2 sensors might be getting really wet. Also, my car lacks the underbody plastic protective coverings that go over the engine area on the right side (shop forgot to put it back in after engine swap), so water can get onto the lower right section of the engine, sometimes my belts slip because they get wet, but that's about it, happens like once every day in the deepest of rain conditions.

It's very unwise to run your Max without those shields.......CEL makes sense if it occurred after that swap.....Hopefully, something serious won't develop out of it.

Go to a boneyard and get one for $5 or $10......It'll probably save you $100 in other repairs.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:58 PM

I wonder if that's just perception, my grandfather used to be that way. After I changed his oil he insisted the car was smoother. But that Caddy car was smooth to begin with. The big question is do you need an oil below 32F, below 0F?? I don't know where you live but it's 95 outside right now in Philly, so being able to go below 0 isn't an issue (5W30 does that where 10W30 wouldn't be as good). If anything the 50 weight oil offered you extra protection in this 90+ degree weather--it has a higher film stregth at the same high temp. That low number is good from a cold start--we're currently starting at 80-90 degrees! Aint it great when Mobil 1 grows on trees! j/k btw that 50 oil can come with the Cobra, BMW, Benz, Volvo from what I've heardit's all about the COLD, that's all
Old 07-02-2002, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

I wonder if that's just perception, my grandfather used to be that way. After I changed his oil he insisted the car was smoother. But that Caddy car was smooth to begin with. The big question is do you need an oil below 32F, below 0F?? I don't know where you live but it's 95 outside right now in Philly, so being able to go below 0 isn't an issue (5W30 does that where 10W30 wouldn't be as good). If anything the 50 weight oil offered you extra protection in this 90+ degree weather--it has a higher film stregth at the same high temp. That low number is good from a cold start--we're currently starting at 80-90 degrees! Aint it great when Mobil 1 grows on trees! j/k btw that 50 oil can come with the Cobra, BMW, Benz, Volvo from what I've heardit's all about the COLD, that's all

Did you read the ENTIRE post? He went from 5W/30 to 15W/50, which caused nice oil pump noises and rough driveability back to 5W/30, so naturally the car ran smoother as those noises disappeared.

Sometimes I honestly don't know if you are joking or serious in the content of your posts.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:04 PM

If anything the 50 weight oil offered you extra protection in this 90+ degree weather--it has a higher film stregth at the same high temp. That low number is good from a cold start--we're currently starting at 80-90 degrees! Aint it great when Mobil 1 grows on trees! j/k btw that 50 oil can come with the Cobra, BMW, Benz, Volvo from what I've heardit's all about the COLD, that's all
The 50 wt. could offer better protection if the engine was designed to use it, in this case, it can't. If the engines are designed to be able to take advantage of the different weights, that's great I'd use the thicker oil. Also, there are only some motors from BMW that specify oil thicker than a 30 wt. oil, notably the S series motors that come on the M cars.

I'd go into again, but we've already had the argument several times on proper viscosities and it's starting to get old.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:07 PM

I'd go into again, but we've already had the argument several times on proper viscosities and it's starting to get old.
Please outline such statements as I have in the future.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:22 PM

so naturally the car ran smoother as those noises disappeared\
Natural? At 95 degrees ambient temp, there's little concern for the W in 5W or 15W. If a 15W-50 causes oil pump noises, I'd say the oil pump isn't performing as it should, given that's it's 95 degrees out. Even a straight 30 oil flows pretty nicely at this temp. I don't hear my rear differential on my other car getting noisy in cold weather, and that's a 90 weight. Sometimes we need to apply common sense as well.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:23 PM

I wonder if that's just perception..........
Too heavy of an oil will make you oil pump want to give way in the worst way and you will hear it knocking from the added stress.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:25 PM

Sometimes we need to apply common sense as well.
Yes, we do. And it tells me to actually adhere to Nissan's recommendations, which is virtually all major car manufacturer's recommendations these days: that means 5W/30.

Go read your owner's manual and come back and show me where it says 15W/50 or just a xW/50 is just fine.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by deezo
Too heavy of an oil will make you oil pump want to give way in the worst way and you will hear it knocking from the added stress.
You are failing to apply "common sense", because apparently if an oil pump can't handle an oil that is significantly more viscous at temperature, then the oil pump is the problem, rather than its inherent design around an engine that only calls for a 30W at temperature.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:30 PM

One, your differential is different than your engine and two, the Maxima's clearances were NOT designed to run 50w oil. You will see more wear using the 50w than the 30w because the pump can't pump this high weighted oil. If the doctor hands you a prescription stating to take 1 pill and you feel better after taking 1 pill, it doesn't mean you are going to feel better taking 2 pills. It'll actually hurt you.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:30 PM

All that really gets wet is the bottom of the engine, the oil filter, and that's about it.

The o2 sensor on the exhaust is exposed to the elements on all of our cars.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:32 PM

You are failing to apply "common sense", because apparently if an oil pump can't handle an oil that is significantly more viscous at temperature, then the oil pump is the problem, rather than its inherent design around an engine that only calls for a 30W at temperature.
My lady's 97 Accord takes 5w30 and its a 4 banger. I will continue to use common sense and common knowledge/experience to keep both cars going smoothly.

I just think Frank didn't read the thread thru.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Virus
One, your differential is different than your engine and two, the Maxima's clearances were NOT designed to run 50w oil. You will see more wear using the 50w than the 30w because the pump can't pump this high weighted oil. If the doctor hands you a prescription stating to take 1 pill and you feel better after taking 1 pill, it doesn't mean you are going to feel better taking 2 pills. It'll actually hurt you.

Good analogy considering your screenname.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:35 PM

My lady's 97 Accord takes 5w30 and its a 4 banger. I will continue to use common sense and common knowledge/experience to keep both cars going smoothly.

Apparently, if it's 95, then it's ok to use 50W.

I just think Frnak didn't read the thread thru.

Old 07-02-2002, 03:44 PM

Apparently, if it's 95, then it's ok to use 50W.

[/B]
I hope you don't think I believe that. If you was a 94, then it would be a different story.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:46 PM

I hope you don't think I believe that. If you was a 94, then it would be a different story.
I don't think you do, just playing along....
Old 07-02-2002, 04:23 PM

Natural? At 95 degrees ambient temp, there's little concern for the W in 5W or 15W. If a 15W-50 causes oil pump noises, I'd say the oil pump isn't performing as it should, given that's it's 95 degrees out. Even a straight 30 oil flows pretty nicely at this temp. I don't hear my rear differential on my other car getting noisy in cold weather, and that's a 90 weight. Sometimes we need to apply common sense as well.
Comparing engines to differentials, as others have pointed out, is an apples and oranges comparison. I agree that the W doesn't really mean anything when we start at 95 degrees, but the 50 is still way to thick for this engine and actually causes the engine to work harder than it should, leaading to a higher overall temp, precisely what we would be trying to avoid in the first place. Applying "common sense", why would we want to use an oil that creates the problem we are trying to avoid and is not really good for the car anyway??

Quick Reply: Changed oil to Mobil1 15-50 & problems